FX user - do you still shoot with DX body?

I own a FX camera but occasionally still use the DX camera when I need a lighter camera, going for the extended tele reach due to 1.5x crop factor, etc. But my main work horse is still the FX body and once I switched to FX, I agree it's kind of difficult to go back to DX. The feel, handle and lens system is just different without 1.5x crop factor coming into play.

Like to hear other people's experience of managing both FX and DX bodies in their shoot out. Thanks!

yup, sometimes I use the DX crop especially for birds photography

crazypaladin said:
I own a FX camera but occasionally still use the DX camera when I need a lighter camera, going for the extended tele reach due to 1.5x crop factor, etc. But my main work horse is still the FX body and once I switched to FX, I agree it's kind of difficult to go back to DX. The feel, handle and lens system is just different without 1.5x crop factor coming into play.

Like to hear other people's experience of managing both FX and DX bodies in their shoot out. Thanks!

If using d800, why not just shoot in dx mode, u still retain a decent 16mp, which is higher than any dx bodies other than d3200 :)

For me no waaaay.... once I went FX and overhauled my lens set I was FX all the way.

That said IF I did wildlife nature or sports photography using big tele's ( 400mm > ) I'd def keep a top DX Body in the bag.... it does have benefits ! ;)

On my D800.. still shoot DX when I need the range.

To be more specific, after I got my FX body, I spend only about 10% of my shoot with DX body. I wonder if there is any other reason to keep the DX body maybe as a backup body but the work flow had now changed in favour of the FX body because of the bigger, brighter viewfinder and with the ability to shoot in DX crop mode, there is simply lesser reason to stick much to the DX except for the light weight and tele-photo reach.

I shoot with my DX body if I need the high fps & long reach, FX camera can have DX mode but unable to shoot at high fps (other than the D4)

When I need quantity over quality, my trusty D300 with fx lens got the nod eg. my children sports event, F1, shooting monkeys at Seletar reservoir, zoo outing and so on..

When shooting macro, I use the DX body with 85mm macro lens. light weight.. mostly hand held due to position of the insects..

Both D2x and D4 are almost of same weight.

However, the MP count are different based on sensor sizes, the DX is still good if the situation is bright and does not require high ISO. Indoors, dimmer, I prefer the D4 because of the high-ISO, saves my flash battery a lot.

Bursting wise, since both is at high speed, not much difference.

On another hand... cheaper events - DX, higher paid ones - FX. Haha.

For 'extra reach', then pixel size (pitch) counts.

D7000 only gets you a cropped D800 images, zoom to 100% is about same size.

Only something like D3200 get you more reach if you already have D800.

Likewise if you have D3S at 12 MP, a D7000 gets you more reach at 100% zoom.

It is a relative question for this 'extra reach'.

For 'extra reach', then pixel size (pitch) counts.

D7000 only gets you a cropped D800 images, zoom to 100% is about same size.

Only something like D3200 get you more reach if you already have D800.

Likewise if you have D3S at 12 MP, a D7000 gets you more reach at 100% zoom.

It is a relative question for this 'extra reach'.

Which is why I am so wanting a D400 for the DX reach and (hopefully) a faster frame rate.

The times I pull out my DX camera is when I want a light weight body coupled with a standard lens to do street shooting or when I need the reach with the telephoto. These are the 2 main factors when i shoot with DX but its mainly for the weight issues.

The glass and body will be much lighter unless you are shooting with a pro-sumer crop sensored body like the D300s which has close to the D700's weight.

crazypaladin said:
Anyone actually carries 2 bodies with them when out on a shoot? The DX as a backup body?

I carry 2 bodies (Can be both FX, mixed FX and DX) when on assignment. But Not for my personal use. I just stick to one choice, which is typically my personal dSLR, all of which were DX cameras.

Anyone actually carries 2 bodies with them when out on a shoot? The DX as a backup body?
done so only on 2 occasions - Singapore Marathon (24-70 on FX & 70-200 on DX) & Singapore Cheerleading Championships (24-70 on FX & 11-16 on DX).

useful if you like to cover a variety of perspectives in a short space of time, or if you're restricted to certain areas/zones. if high res is not required, i'll sometimes use 1 lens on FX body & switch between FX/DX modes to save having to switch lens & save time :)

My answer : yes

I need DX body to play with budget cost and lightweight too.

Just like D7000 had really deliver a great image of quality for what I need it.

FX in Raw files can be editing more B&W color tone and detailed wise.

For current D800 even you don't have DX body for the DX crop mode and used with DX or FX lens still deliver the same IQ.

But just depend what you need lah..

Last edited:
I m a 'shooter', not a 'collector'. So I prefer a simpler setup that gives me highest opportunities to capture impactful shot that are also high image quality. I use two FX bodies (D3s & D700). The D3s is mounted with a 35mm prime for street shots, environmental portraits, some landscapes, and the D700 is mounted with a 70-200mm zoom when I need to get in tighter or isolate the background. I hv found this setup to be very practical. I carry a 20mm prime for times I need to good really wide. Plain simple FX system. But I get the shots. Cheers. Fred

Hi, all here

I got my link here and still not yet to add the overall comparing conclusion from DX vs FX Lenses and used on FX sensor output result..

So I need you help to input the overall detail.
You only need see from the cropping image only.

Thank you so much.

http://vintagephotograph.weebly.com/compare-from-28mm-distance-only.html

The grapes in the DX vineyard are turning sour. ;)