Fx lens on dx body

pinkpan

Jul 4, 2010
Hi guys, not sure this has been asked before, can anyone enlighten me is it ok or worth it to buy fx lens but use on dx body? I using dx body, but dun know should continue buying dx lens or buy fx lens so next time can shift to fx body.

Thanks

Hi guys, not sure this has been asked before, can anyone enlighten me is it ok or worth it to buy fx lens but use on dx body? I using dx body, but dun know should continue buying dx lens or buy fx lens so next time can shift to fx body.

Thanks

Its totally ok for an fx lens to be on a dx body. As for whether its worth it, that's rather subjective and I can't answer that for you

A lot of the more pro lenses are FX format so they offer better image and build quality. However, most are also more heavy than DX lenses and can feel very unbalanced on lighter bodies like D3100, D5100 etc.

Do a search on google for "use full frame lens on crop body". Then start reading. Remember, FX and DX are just Nikon marketing terms.

Thanks

If you own an FX camera, then it makes sense to buy only FX lenses. Are you certain about buying an FX camera any time soon? :)

Thanks bro for the replies.

I own a D90 now. Thinking of changing to fx in 1 year time. So was thinking if next lens onward can start to buy fx.

pinkpan said:

I own a D90 now. Thinking of changing to fx in 1 year time. So was thinking if next lens onward can start to buy fx.

You can use all the current fx lenses on your D90 but at the UWA focal length range, you probably may have to get a DX lens.

It really depends on your comfort level with regards to price, weight, focal range, etc.

Just as an example, the standard FX zooms are usually about 24- ___mm, which is fairly wide up till short or mid telephoto.
Now if you mount this lens on a D90, you may find that 24mm is not wide enough. That is mainly why there are DX-specfic lenses such as the 17-55 f/2.8, or the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8

This is something only you can decide.
Happy hunting!

You definitely can start buying FX lenses. As long as you have a use for them. Now that we have establish the fact that you can use FX lenses on DX dSLR bodies, I think any further discussion is moot. You can easily make the choice yourself. Or am I mistaken?

Cool.. Thanks for all the seniors guidance here, now I know how to make my choices.

Thanks for all the advice..:)