fx?dx?

Status
Not open for further replies.

starocker

Jun 27, 2008
Yishun
pix.ie
jus to ask..wads the differencs between nikon dx n fx?are the mounts different also?

The mount for Dx and Fx lens are the same.. (ie you can use both dx and Fx lens on both Dx and Fx Bodies) But if you use a Dx lens on a Fx lens.. you'll experience the same +1.5x your focal length but you'll be taking the pictures at 5MP rather than 10MP

DX is the digital cropped sensor.

The sensor is smaller than the film size of 24 x 36mm and has a crop factor of 1.5 times.

FX is the latest sensor size which matches the film size of 24 x 36mm and thus does not have a crop factor.

With the film lenses or the lenses without the DX designation, you can use them as their focal length shows on the lens specifications on the FX system.

i.e. 50mm on FX is 50mm.

With a crop factor for the DX, you'd need to multiply 1.5 times to get the image focal length.

i.e. 50mm on DX is 50mm x 1.5 = 75mm.

The "FX" and "DX" designations are unique to Nikon DSLRs.
FX means full-frame sensor.
DX means APS-C sized sensor.

To add on, the 1.5x crop factor doesn't mean the focal length of your lens changes, but because of the smaller frame size, the angle of view capture is reduced, equivalent to one captured with a lens 1.5 times the focal length. All these talks are relative to the 35mm frame size.

Other technical considerations has been mentioned by the above posts.

For a more complete discussion, either search the forum or the Internet.
Let me start by spoon-feeding you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_photography#Sensor_size_and_angle_of_view

Sorry for such a noob question. Does it mean that we can mount a FX lense on a DX frame? Would it work technically?
Will there be crop factor? Am I correct to assume that the image taken would still be cropped due to the smaller sensor?

Last edited:
Sorry for such a noob question. Does it mean that we can mount a FX lense on a DX frame? Would it work technically?
Will there be crop factor? Am I correct to assume that the image taken would still be cropped due to the smaller sensor?

Yes. You can do so and the crop factor will take place no matter you use a DX or FX lens.

Only difference is that the DX lenses are made with this smaller sensor in mind and thus will not work for the full frame sensor of the FX format.

I am using a D80, and i also owe a 70-300VR FX lens.

I mounted my camera on a tripod and did a 70mm shot using the kit lens(DX lens) and the 70-300 FX lens, the picture came out are identical. the position of everything in the picture are totally the same.

DX camera just produce picture smaller than your normal 35mm size picture, its like a 35mm picture and u just crop out the center portion. the field of view is just part of the 35mm picture size, the size is very much similar to the view of a focal that is 1.5x of that u use but its not really that focal length

what ever lens u use on a DX body there will be a crop factor for sure.

have yet to try as i dont have a FX camera, but i believe that what u see on a FX picture of let say 75mm is different from what the picture of a DX camera using a 50mm lens in which after the crop factor of 1.5x is suppose to be 75mm.

i think DX lens are just normal lens like FX lens in terms of focal length but design to focus a smaller image compared to a FX lens.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.