Fusion of Arts


Status
Not open for further replies.

CYRN

Senior Member
Nov 14, 2002
4,575
0
36
photoevangel.com
#1
Hi,

I was having this idea when I shot the below 2 pics... pls comment on how you feel on this... be it compositon, style or PS tips... TIA.

quite traditional chinese ducky


was trying for the japanese crane feel
 

alechim

Senior Member
Aug 8, 2004
1,728
0
0
Redhill
#2
very artistic!
very cultural festival postcard kinda feeling
 

eikin

Senior Member
Apr 27, 2004
10,193
0
0
東京 Tokyo
#3
don't work for me ...

#1 i don't understand what the picture is trying to convey, the colour combination is great, but no story/meaning i can take away, the added filter effects doesn't seem to bring out anything

#2 nope, doesn't feel Japanese, colour patterns don't work well with the subject ... you may want to consider studying the fundamentals of Zen in order to grasp the spirit (hmmm ... what am i saying, how can Zen be studied? oh well ... :confused: ) ... for rain, you can study the artworks of Hiroshige Ando and see how he portrayed falling rain, very delightful
 

jnet6

Senior Member
Apr 21, 2004
8,184
1
38
not here often anymore
#4
It's nice
but does not look like oil paint.
maybe need some more patches to be nicer...
 

CYRN

Senior Member
Nov 14, 2002
4,575
0
36
photoevangel.com
#5
Thanks guys for the comments. Was trying to get that "hand made" look.

Ekin, now that you mention it, yeah I also feel the same way, dun see any story/meaning in the pic. Will take note of that in future shoot to include a theme for the pic. Same for the second pic.

Seems like my exposure to the asian arts are still very limited. I tot painting and photography have different emphasis...hmmmm... need to read up more.

Anywayz, anyone know any reference to asian paint art in English... cuz my chinese all return to teacher already :embrass: Or, better still, is there any internet references.

thanks
 

eikin

Senior Member
Apr 27, 2004
10,193
0
0
東京 Tokyo
#6
CYRN said:
Thanks guys for the comments. Was trying to get that "hand made" look.

Ekin, now that you mention it, yeah I also feel the same way, dun see any story/meaning in the pic. Will take note of that in future shoot to include a theme for the pic. Same for the second pic.

Seems like my exposure to the asian arts are still very limited. I tot painting and photography have different emphasis...hmmmm... need to read up more.

Anywayz, anyone know any reference to asian paint art in English... cuz my chinese all return to teacher already :embrass: Or, better still, is there any internet references.

thanks
hmmm ... what you are doing in #2 vaguely resembles blockwood print art, which is why i recommended Hiroshige Ando's works on rain ... his art has inspired many artists and designers outside the realm of painting and paint art ... you can always visit Tan Swie Hien's art gallery in Geylang for inspirations as well for oil paintings
 

CYRN

Senior Member
Nov 14, 2002
4,575
0
36
photoevangel.com
#7
eikin said:
hmmm ... what you are doing in #2 vaguely resembles blockwood print art, which is why i recommended Hiroshige Ando's works on rain ... his art has inspired many artists and designers outside the realm of painting and paint art ... you can always visit Tan Swie Hien's art gallery in Geylang for inspirations as well for oil paintings
I'm still trying to orientate myself between photography techniques and the painting techniques. Also, there seems to be some difference in presentation and composition as well.

Yes, oil painting is one of the areas I'll explore... so far only basic techniques..seems much harder than looking thru the viewfinder and releasing the shutter :sweat: :sweat:
 

CYRN

Senior Member
Nov 14, 2002
4,575
0
36
photoevangel.com
#8
Still... I've got 2 more pics for comments...

Lotus.


Dream beauty.


IMHO, looks really "fake". Couldn't really get the "painting" effects, still trying to find out what went wrong with the processes.
 

eikin

Senior Member
Apr 27, 2004
10,193
0
0
東京 Tokyo
#9
CYRN said:
IMHO, looks really "fake". Couldn't really get the "painting" effects, still trying to find out what went wrong with the processes.
again doesn't work ... the composition in both doesn't work in the first place, the filter effects aren't helping ... what's the 'painting' effect you are trying to achieve? maybe you want to take an example of the 'painting' you are talking about?

in this case, however, i'll rather study the way paintings are created (from visualisation to execution) than the way paintings look, the literal conversion of photographs into 'paintings' isn't going to help
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom