Funny comment from photography tutor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg_yew

Feb 25, 2003
east
Visit site
Pls comment...Recently a photography lecturer from a very reputable art school in the east told his students that they can ONLY use Nikon cameras in their studio. Reasons given? Other brand will not work with their studio flash!!! At first I thought they are using some complicated wireless technology to trigger the flash, but my friend said no. He asked the tutor and the lab technician why cannot use other brand, and they just insisted they can't be use. Then I thought the reason is the lack of pc socket on a lot of new AF camera, so they can't be used without adding the connector to the hot shoe. The best thing is they said the older Nikon can't be used as well, although all of them have a socket for studio flash. MUST use the newer ones....I think this is really misleading for the students who are new to photography, and perhaps the most ridiculous thing I have heard from a lecturer and lab technician. Wat do u think? :dunno:

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
:dunno:

I have seen this happening during clubsnap photoshoots, noticed the Canon's don't work well with the wireless flash trigger. Don't know why though. Most of the time they do.

Reason that the Canons don't work very well is simple. Canons have pre-flash. The first flash will trigger the studio strobes already, and before they can recycle, the 2nd flash comes on and the strobes will not trigger properly, resulting in underexposed images.

Nikons also have preflash but can be easily disabled by setting the flash to manual mode and setting output power to the minimum. I believe some Canon flashes can be set to manual mode, minimum output as well. Not so much an equipment issue here. Failing all, a < $50 IR trigger can be acquired from Ruby which will work on *any* camera with a hotshoe and will trigger strobes properly. If you connect to the strobe via a sync cable, then there's no longer the issue of camera differences anymore.

But saying that only Nikon can work with the strobes is the most ridiculous thing I've heard, and only shows a lack of knowledge in the equipment.

Regards
CK

To add what Ckiang said, the Hanica pocket flash that can also functions as a slave flash costs only +/-$20 at Ruby. I have been using one for a couple of years at various photo studios and it never fails to trigger the strobes in all those studios. AP also sells this pocket flash under a different brand.

rty said:
To add what Ckiang said, the Hanica pocket flash that can also functions as a slave flash costs only +/-$20 at Ruby. I have been using one for a couple of years at various photo studios and it never fails to trigger the strobes in all those studios. AP also sells this pocket flash under a different brand.
R these pocket flashes enough for home product shoot studio?

rty said:

Hi,
Just to re-affirm that the Hanica pocket flash can be use as a slave flash and what's is the connection to the strobes in the studio ?
Btw, where's Ruby ? Any website has a picture of the product ?

AReality said:
R these pocket flashes enough for home product shoot studio?

This is basically an external flash to be mounted on the camera hotshoe and it uses 2-AA size batteries. It can be considered as a "low-cost low-tech" type of solution so don't expect it to have fancy features like ETTL or ability to "talk" to your camera or automatically adjust/compensate your camera exposure setting.

For home product shoot, I guess it depends. At a distance of 1 meter, it is strong enough for F5.6 @ ISO 100. Would this consider enough for you? ;)

phoooaaaa !!!!!!
first time i heard this.... gotta learn from that lecturer :what:

Interesting coz I've done studio photography with Elinchrom strobes using my Canon A80....and it works out fine.

chew said:
Hi,
Just to re-affirm that the Hanica pocket flash can be use as a slave flash and what's is the connection to the strobes in the studio ?
Btw, where's Ruby ? Any website has a picture of the product ?

You don't need any cable. It triggers the strobes wirelessly. For $20, that's the real beauty of it, isn't it? :)

Aiya... for $20, no need to view picture lah.... just go and buy if you are interested.

ckiang said:
Nikons also have preflash but can be easily disabled by setting the flash to manual mode and setting output power to the minimum. I believe some Canon flashes can be set to manual mode, minimum output as well. Not so much an equipment issue here. Failing all, a < $50 IR trigger can be acquired from Ruby which will work on *any* camera with a hotshoe and will trigger strobes properly. If you connect to the strobe via a sync cable, then there's no longer the issue of camera differences anymore.
Oops, I might have made a mistake on the price. Someone has brought it up to me that it's actually S$70+. Sorry for the confusion!

Regards
CK

rty said:
You don't need any cable. It triggers the strobes wirelessly. For $20, that's the real beauty of it, isn't it? :)

Aiya... for $20, no need to view picture lah.... just go and buy if you are interested.

Thanks.
Oops, forgot to mentioned i am using a pro-consumer digicam which does not have a hotshoe/hotsync and there is a per-flash.
Guess no solution so far on the market ?

The Hanica slave is $22. Runs on 2 dinky little AA alkaline batts. Approx 5-sec to refresh. Nice little gadget... And yeah, apparently it triggers strobes quite well, from what I saw.

Just comfirmed that the studio is not even using wireless flash, but good old studio syn cable that plugs into your syn socket.... :confused:

Most studio flashes have built-in slave triggers, though they may not explicitly say "wireless". You can always get a slave trigger to plug into them and get wireless operation as well.

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.