Funny Colours in Nikon Capture

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vince123123

I'm experiencing weird problems with Nikon Capture.

Here's the sequence of events:

I was using NC4 and Nikon View 5 - obviously these programs are not compatible with each other. However, both can work on its own.

Hence I was uninstalling NV5 to install NV6. After the installing of NV6, the colours of images viewed in NV6 and NC4 look weird (they are much bluer than really is). Loading the RAWs in PS directly shows colours back to normal.

I've tried reverting the system back to the NV5 state using goback, but NC4 still shows funny blue colours. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

In summary, NC4's colours are much different from NV5 or PS. The funny thing is that I was using NC4 with no problem until today.

Thanks!

Its Nikon Capture 4.4 - hope you can assist.

King Tiger said:
No sure if this is discuss before, which version of NC are you using ?

Just an update - I'm now back to NV5 and NV5 shows fine colors...NC4 still shows weird blue colours.

Just some screenshots to illustrate:

Nikon View 5.1.3

NV5.jpg

Nikon Capture 4.40

NC4.jpg

Photoshop 7

PS.jpg

If anyone can assist I'd be very grateful - It may be a colour management issue - but I don't recall changing anything.

If further information is required from me (perhaps what I did or did not do), do let me know.

My last resort will be uninstalling 4.4 and reinstalling 3...then maybe if it works, try to go to NC4....if not stick to 3....but that also means my D200 files are kaput...

Thanks in advance

Why don't you open up the color management profile to check?
Check whether it is pointing to your display profile.

Hmm, sorry pardon the newbieness in this area, but where do I go to do that?

I've tried in NC4 to go to Tools > Options > Colour Management

And the only place to do this is this button called "Change Display Profile" - I've tried that and it bumps me back to Windows Control Panel > Display > Advanced - and I stopped there - thought it was already set properly as I thought that NV5 and PS7 would use the same display profile in Control Panel.

Did I do something in error?

scanner said:
Why don't you open up the color management profile to check?
Check whether it is pointing to your display profile.

vince123123 said:
Hmm, sorry pardon the newbieness in this area, but where do I go to do that?

I've tried in NC4 to go to Tools > Options > Colour Management

And the only place to do this is this button called "Change Display Profile" - I've tried that and it bumps me back to Windows Control Panel > Display > Advanced - and I stopped there - thought it was already set properly as I thought that NV5 and PS7 would use the same display profile in Control Panel.

Did I do something in error?

Yes, you are right, but did you double check whether it is pointing to the right profile?

Try this method, after you have ensure it has pointed to the right profile, recalibrate your monitor to see whether it will re-align the profile.

Yeap it is pointing to the right profile - it has not been changed since I last set it.

Also, I would have thought that the profile would apply equally to PS, NV and NC - so would recalibrating the monitor make a difference given that only NC is showing funny colours? Every other program is showing it correctly, PS, NV, even the windows thumbnail viewer.

Thanks for your help.

scanner said:
Yes, you are right, but did you double check whether it is pointing to the right profile?

Try this method, after you have ensure it has pointed to the right profile, recalibrate your monitor to see whether it will re-align the profile.

vince123123 said:
Yeap it is pointing to the right profile - it has not been changed since I last set it.

Also, I would have thought that the profile would apply equally to PS, NV and NC - so would recalibrating the monitor make a difference given that only NC is showing funny colours? Every other program is showing it correctly, PS, NV, even the windows thumbnail viewer.

Thanks for your help.

I'm not sure what really happen to your system, but have you check whether you are using the embeded color space of your image or default color space? All these can be found on the color mannagement setting.

So far when I upgraded to NC4.4, the setting profile is by default followed the earlier version settings.

The box to use default colour space instead of embedded color space is unchecked.

After reading your post, I tried to check it and uncheck it but the colours still look the same either way, ie blueish.

scanner said:
I'm not sure what really happen to your system, but have you check whether you are using the embeded color space of your image or default color space? All these can be found on the color mannagement setting.

So far when I upgraded to NC4.4, the setting profile is by default followed the earlier version settings.

The last time some people hit this issue (joteo) was because the monitor was using a wrong profile.

Hmm, I was just wondering, if the monitor is using the wrong profile, wouldn't PS and NV and Windows Explorer be affected too? Only NC4 is affected and only the image itself opened in NC4 is affected (the toolbars and toolboxes look normal to me)

espn said:
The last time some people hit this issue (joteo) was because the monitor was using a wrong profile.

vince123123 said:
Hmm, I was just wondering, if the monitor is using the wrong profile, wouldn't PS and NV and Windows Explorer be affected too? Only NC4 is affected and only the image itself opened in NC4 is affected (the toolbars and toolboxes look normal to me)
AFAIK, Zerstorer did mention IE is not colour aware, PS/NV/NC needs to be set to the corresponding profile as your monitor. After removing the profile try adding it back in again. The culprit is definitely the color-profiling

Originally when I was having a similar colour problem, I was using the color profile that came with my monitor. I picked it for Windows as well as for NC.

I changed this to the generic windows RGB profile and it was okay.

My problem was an entire colour cast in NC over the entire picture. However, yours seems to affect only the white portion of the picture, am I correct?

Well, anyway, try changing the profile and see if your problem goes away.

Good luck

Hmm I'll try changing and see if there's any difference - I'd have thought that the same monitor profile set in Control Panel in windows would affect all programs, PS, NV, NC toolbars, icons in any program, ie the whole screen. I suppose PS is also colour aware (I've not used IE so far to view as these are RAWs)

Right now the only problem is a blue colour cast ONLY in NC, and within NC, ONLY within the NC4's image window - the toolbars in NC or any other program are fine.

If I change the monitor profile, that would affect PS, NV, NC and all other programs right? Don't wanna screw up any colours further especially since my knowledge on colour management is very poor.

And I'm quite sure I didn't change any monitor profiles to result in the present problem. I was using NC4.4 fine UNTIL I decided to upgrade my NV5 to NV6 - and the cascading problems started to occur - and these stayed even after I go-backed to pre-NV6 state...

The colour cast affects the entire picture.

How do you set the color profile for windows and NC separately? In NC, the selection of colour profile bumps you back to the windows selection in Windows Control Panel - ie I'd thought if I change it there in CP, I might screw up my PS and NV and whole of windows' colours....

joteo said:
Originally when I was having a similar colour problem, I was using the color profile that came with my monitor. I picked it for Windows as well as for NC.

I changed this to the generic windows RGB profile and it was okay.

My problem was an entire colour cast in NC over the entire picture. However, yours seems to affect only the white portion of the picture, am I correct?

Well, anyway, try changing the profile and see if your problem goes away.

Good luck

vince123123 said:
Hmm I'll try changing and see if there's any difference - I'd have thought that the same monitor profile set in Control Panel in windows would affect all programs, PS, NV, NC toolbars, icons in any program, ie the whole screen. I suppose PS is also colour aware (I've not used IE so far to view as these are RAWs)

Right now the only problem is a blue colour cast ONLY in NC, and within NC, ONLY within the NC4's image window - the toolbars in NC or any other program are fine.

If I change the monitor profile, that would affect PS, NV, NC and all other programs right? Don't wanna screw up any colours further especially since my knowledge on colour management is very poor.

And I'm quite sure I didn't change any monitor profiles to result in the present problem. I was using NC4.4 fine UNTIL I decided to upgrade my NV5 to NV6 - and the cascading problems started to occur - and these stayed even after I go-backed to pre-NV6 state...

Well, in your PS, NV you can set the color profile to the same as that of your "Right click->Properties->Settings->Advanced->Colour Management" then it will all show the same colour space.

For NC, change the colour space to the ICC profile in colour management.

Status
Not open for further replies.