Fungus question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunjack

Jul 6, 2002
Zimbabwe
Visit site
Is it advisable to buy lens that had fungus but is already serviced/cleaned?

Depends on the condition of the lens, usually a fungal infection if its bad will etch the coating of the lens. You'd tend to get more flare off this lens. I'm not saying you shouldn't buy, but I'd probably wouldn't

No, unless you're really hard up.

- Fungus spores can stay latent for years. They will start growing when at the first opportunity available. They can also spread (via the camera) to other lenses.

- A serviced lens may not be as well aligned or calibrated as when assembled at the factory.

- The coatings, the most important (and expensive) part, may have been eaten away, or partially eaten away.

I think personally I won't buy, as chance is it will grow again if not well kept.
Even if price is good.

ST1100 said:
No, unless you're really hard up.

- Fungus spores can stay latent for years. They will start growing when at the first opportunity available. They can also spread (via the camera) to other lenses.

If place inside a dry cab, will it still spread?

therat said:
If place inside a dry cab, will it still spread?
When I buy some thing, I expect to get my money's worth.

Besides, you never know what problems the lens may give you in the future, so why take that risk and feeling sorry for yourself later that you wasted money on a lousy lens should anything really happen?

The fungus may stop, or slow down inside the dry cabinet but frankly speaking, I rather not take chances.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Just my two cents worth.

Regards,
-Michelle- :D

Status
Not open for further replies.