Fungus question

Status
Not open for further replies.

chjing

Sep 11, 2006
hi, i have a quiry. I heard people talked about fungus growing in the lens, in the lens, in the lens. of SLR? will fungus grow in the lens of compact camera? or DSLR-like? why never heard of people saying for these lenses?
is it true that fungus grow easier in SLR lenses than in lenses of compact cameras?

Fungus will grow on ANYTHING!!! As far as photography is concern they seem to have a affinity for lenses, i think it is cause the food source on the glass is the best compared to metal.

There is more talk in the SLR community because.... we are more fussy and just about any slr lens will cost then a PnS.... also lots of us have 1 body with 2 or 3 lenses. Also the PnS lense are so small that it is very difficult to see if there are fungus on the lenses, esp when most PnS don't have B settings.

hi, i have a quiry. I heard people talked about fungus growing in the lens, in the lens, in the lens. of SLR? will fungus grow in the lens of compact camera? or DSLR-like? why never heard of people saying for these lenses?
is it true that fungus grow easier in SLR lenses than in lenses of compact cameras?

I think stuff will grow inside a compact too. But due to the design of compacts (relatively more "enclosed" then dSLRs), chances are lower. I have those compact film cameras inside my cupboard for 20++ years yet things still refuse to grow on them.

I think dSLR lenses have a higher chance of getting the fungus because of the greater surface area of the glass. Also, you see those zooming lenses when in operation, will definitely suck in quite some air from the outside. Air will contain the fungus. Breath from your mouth is also not very clean, so try not to blow lenses with your breath.

I have a compact camera with fungus on it. The only way to preveent fungus growth in our climate is a dry box or dry cabinet.

I have a compact camera with fungus on it. The only way to preveent fungus growth in our climate is a dry box or dry cabinet.

Or take it out into the sun a lot and use it. The sun's UV rays will help prevent fungus.

anybody have a picture of fungus on camera lens.? i think mine started growing on my kit lens.

Does your lens have something that looks like spider webs on the lens? If so time to get a new lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.