Fungus on UV filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawson

Jun 1, 2007
Hi,

I'd just like to share with you my recent findings.
Usually, I'd just leave my B+W UV filters on the lens and store it in the dry cabinet.
During cleaning today, I found that the inner side of the UV filter has fungus and it is on my 2 filters on 2 different lens.

To conclude, the filter is tightly screwed to the lens thus creating an area of "pocketed air" between the lens and the filter that allow fungus to grow even it is in dry cabinet.

I'd keep them separately in future and luckily my lenses are not affected. :)

cheers

Hi Dawson,

May I know did you use the lens recently or was left in the dry cabinet for sometime.

Thought I read some where to avoid any fungus in the len/filter, is to take it under the sun and and snap a few shots every month

Just my 2 cents worth

One suggestion is to screw in the filter within the dry cabi.

i think you'll need a 1000L dry cab in order to screw the filter in the cabinet. another way is to do it is in aircon room.

why would you want to do screw the filter in the dry cabinet
If there is such a worry, how about just putting ur filters in another compartment.

i think you'll need a 1000L dry cab in order to screw the filter in the cabinet. another way is to do it is in aircon room.

hmmm. 1000L dry cabi so one can go inside the cabinet wait to equilibrate and then fix the filter onto the lens ? :bigeyes:

Ryan

thanks for ideas. :bigeyes:

i just keep them separately after using it maybe because i have never remove
the filters off the lenses since i bought it early last year. :)

The easiest way really is to take out your gear once a week to snap a few shots. Use it or lose it! Maybe you can recruit your wife/ girlfriends and kids as models too. :)

Samuel

Status
Not open for further replies.