Fungus on my lens

qwertyl

Sep 2, 2009
Singapore
Hi guys, I just found some fungus on the front and rear parts of my nikkor 18-105 lens. Do you have experience with this? Do you know whether it is possible for me to clean the lens by myself or where in singapore I can send for cleaning/servicing?

Thanks so much!

if it is outside, you can clean it yourself, but do not know how good you are, will you scratch your lens instead of cleaning it? It is alwasy better to leave it to someone who are experience and skillful. you can contact our Part-time Repairman Part 2, fatigue, he will able to help you will a small fee, if he is not too busy.

you can bring it back to Nikon Service Center, they will able to help you too.

fungus cleaning is not free and can be very costly, that is a very good reason we always recommend to get a dry box or dry cabinet from day one you have a new camera.

hope this help.

Hi guys, I just found some fungus on the front and rear parts of my nikkor 18-105 lens. Do you have experience with this? Do you know whether it is possible for me to clean the lens by myself or where in singapore I can send for cleaning/servicing?

Thanks so much!

Just curious... how long has your lens been kept in still air without a dry cabinet?

Hi catchlights, thanks very much for your advice! The fungus is in the inside part of the lens, so I was not able to clean it, unless I open up the whole lens.

if it is outside, you can clean it yourself, but do not know how good you are, will you scratch your lens instead of cleaning it? It is alwasy better to leave it to someone who are experience and skillful. you can contact our Part-time Repairman Part 2, fatigue, he will able to help you will a small fee, if he is not too busy.

you can bring it back to Nikon Service Center, they will able to help you too.

fungus cleaning is not free and can be very costly, that is a very good reason we always recommend to get a dry box or dry cabinet from day one you have a new camera.

hope this help.

Just curious... how long has your lens been kept in still air without a dry cabinet?

I used it quite often, that's why I thought a dry box is not necessary. The lesson I learn is: even a lens is frequently used, still need to keep it in dry box when not in use.

Not advisable to DIY cleaning the Nikon 18-105mm lens
The rear part (5th lens group unit) of that lens requires alignment after assembly.
Do NOT dismantle that lens group.

Last edited: