Fungus on lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

harvestnow

May 29, 2002
juz wanna ask tht if fungus on lens will affect the sharpness of the image produced? cus i've notice fugus on my old nikon 35-70,3.3-4.5 lens... v. sad...

it may sounds duh... buy juz wanna confirm it again b4 i send it for maintence.

depends on how bad the fungus is... if it's like a little at the side of the lens elements, usually it doesn't matter. why don't you try snapping a few shots with the lens and see what it's like? some photogs absolutely cannot live with fungus, while others (like me) just live with it lor, unless it seriously clouds the pictures. :D

Originally posted by firefox13
depends on how bad the fungus is... if it's like a little at the side of the lens elements, usually it doesn't matter. why don't you try snapping a few shots with the lens and see what it's like? some photogs absolutely cannot live with fungus, while others (like me) just live with it lor, unless it seriously clouds the pictures. :D

i've realise tht after shootin' for a concert in the indoor stadium, my pictures turned out not as sharp as my friend's... my friend gave the reason tht better lenses(much more ex) were used.. of course it's sharper...

my lens condition is tht it has already clouded the entire lens with webs here n there(not at the side)... not opaque... but obviouis enuff to see tht it has quite some complex lines on the lens when seen under light.

xian...

Originally posted by harvestnow
my lens condition is tht it has already clouded the entire lens with webs here n there(not at the side)... not opaque... but obviouis enuff to see tht it has quite some complex lines on the lens when seen under light.
well concert conditions are not really the best place to judge for sharpness or clarity, there's too many factors that could possible account. why don't just shoot off a few shots at something controlled, like a portrait in daylight? somewhere that you're sure of the focus and clarity, etc. that might help you judge the damage better.

but from the sounds of it, seems like the fungus is quite bad... keep your fingers crossed but don't keep your hopes high lor. if it bothers you enough, send it in for servicing...

ya, was thinkin' of tht liao... sigh...
would u recommend nikon for servicing or somewhere else?

well to be honest, nikon would be more expensive, definitely. and your 35-70 would have quite a few lens elements, so... why don't you call them and check? 65593638. i've heard some horror stories about their standard of repair, but i personally have never encountered it. alternatively, can try Camera Workshop @ peninsula shopping centre. heard that its pretty good.

hope that helps. good luck with your repairs! :D

harvestnow,

Why not bring your lens during the next SEED or any outing we have and let us have a look?

Originally posted by ziploc
harvestnow,

Why not bring your lens during the next SEED or any outing we have and let us have a look?

ooh... ok... when is the next outing? =)

ooh... ok... when is the next outing? =)

I'll be at penisula plaza (picking up my prints from Konota) this evening around 6:30-6:45pm. If you want I can help you take a look. :)

I'll be at penisula plaza (picking up my prints from Konota) this evening around 6:30-6:45pm. If you want I can help you take a look. :)

wha.. steady la... really thanks for your kindness man,
but the thing is tht i'll be @ color lab, but not tht late leh...
maybe i'll reach there @ around 5 or 5.30 lidat, then after tht i'll go off liao... gotta rush to somewhere else.

wha.. steady la... really thanks for your kindness man,
but the thing is tht i'll be @ color lab, but not tht late leh...
maybe i'll reach there @ around 5 or 5.30 lidat, then after tht i'll go off liao... gotta rush to somewhere else.

Hmm... then maybe next time, cause I'm working and can only reach there around 6:30pm.

Hmm... then maybe next time, cause I'm working and can only reach there around 6:30pm.

ok la... thanks man... =)

invest in a dehumidified cabinet. talk about servicing lens....sigh.

pretty expensive i have to say. last time i sent four lenses for servicing, it cost me almost a thousand to get them cleaned.

Originally posted by Scriabinesque
last time i sent four lenses for servicing, it cost me almost a thousand to get them cleaned.
FWAH!!! :eek:
what kinda lens were those??? must be heck of a lot of lens elements inside...

Status
Not open for further replies.