fungus in the lens, What to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashwin

Jan 30, 2005
Singapore
submit.shutterstock.com
I have a canon EFS 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 which is a couple of years old. I recently brought a tamron lens and stored the canon lens in the dry box. But when i took out and saw through the lens i found some slight fungus formation.

I want to sell the lens cause i wont use it any more, but what abt the fungus? If i clean it and sell will it still be worth it? What should i do?? any suggestions are welcome.:dunno:

If anyone want to buy the lens please let me know.

Defintely not worth it. The cost of cleaning may be up to 50% of the lens or more.

One more question, If i keep the fungus infected lens in my dry cabinet, is there a risk of other lenses getting infected too??:confused:

Alrite, so whats the best thing i can do with the lens now?:dunno:

Do what I did with one of them I remove the front element and used it as a magnification glass.

Wait...you stored the lens in a dry box and it still got fungus?! Was it a powered dry box or those plastic boxes that you're supposed to put silica gel in?

Wait...you stored the lens in a dry box and it still got fungus?! Was it a powered dry box or those plastic boxes that you're supposed to put silica gel in?

It also happened to me...

Stored my lenses and my filters in a plastic box with sillica gel bags... forgot about it for 7 years, then the fungus invade the lenses and my filters. Now I am using it for my "holiday" lens... I mean a lens for rough photo taking during holiday and when something happen to the lens you won't cry out loud... (my holiday lens has been exposed to sand, water, drop, bugs, etc... but hey... it's a "holiday" lens... )

I stored it in powered one, but before that was in the plastic one. But it has been used for a long time so i guess its about time i sacrifice it to fungus:(

My que is still not answered, is it safe to keep the fungus infected lens along with other lens in my dry cabinet? Or should i remove it and keep it in someother place?

yeah, i wan to know tat too. Haiz, my dad passed down to me all his photography gadgets, which includes a few lens. but then since he gave up the hobby, he hasnt been taking care of them. now all got fungus so sad. Is it safe to lump all the lens fungus infected ones with the clean ones in a dry box?

Just wondering whether you have checked how bad the fungus affects the image quality?

If it is not tt bad, maybe u can sell it at a lower price in the B&S section and state it is a fungus lens. Maybe someone can put it to better use.

I take it that the fungus is INSIDE the lens? If it is on the outside u can clean it yourself.

U might want to take it down to a reputable shopS and have a quote.

yeah, i wan to know tat too. Haiz, my dad passed down to me all his photography gadgets, which includes a few lens. but then since he gave up the hobby, he hasnt been taking care of them. now all got fungus so sad. Is it safe to lump all the lens fungus infected ones with the clean ones in a dry box?

Better not to mix, but if you have set the humidity down to a certain low level like 40 - 45% or so, then there should not be any risk at all.

no worries bro ... keep the fungused lens in the dry box .. why ?

1) Fungus spores are everywhere in the air.... so doesnt really matter if u have them in the dry box anot

2) Dry box/ cabi cannot kill fungus but at 50% humidity or less it inhibits fungus growth i.e. no fungus can grow or reproduce, so it doesnt really matter if u keep the lens together anot
i.e. even if u dun see fungus on the lens, they are there..

3) Keep the lens in coz, it would be too expensive to get it cleaned, why not use it as is, since i am quite sure some fungus will not affect picture quality. However if u leave the lens out of the dry box, fungus is going to grow rapidly...and u will definitively end up with a sunk cost paper wight then :confused: :confused:

hope it helps....:cool:

for a new lense, i hardly think the fungus can be too serious, but if u are not going to use, sell it cheaper or just get it clean and sell, at least some $ is returned, and the lens got a new user.

Status
Not open for further replies.