Fungus in (not on) filter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

enivre

Nov 7, 2002
www.ervinelin.com
Hi,

My brother just passed me some of his old filters, it's those colour polarisers kinda thing, not sure if that's what they are called..

Anyway, there seems to be fungus in between the two layers of glass, at least it looks like there's fungus...

Is there a way to split the two segments so that I can wipe the inside of the filters? It's a real pity to let them go to waste just like that..

Thanks,
Ervine Lin

So that slightly cloudy look is due to the gel? As in it's natural? Or has fungus gotten to it?

Originally posted by enivre
So that slightly cloudy look is due to the gel? As in it's natural? Or has fungus gotten to it?

Slightly cloudy?

Polariser supposed to look dark/black if u look through 1 direction but not in the other. Not cloudy.

Hold it up to a mirror and see.

However there shouldn't be any patches/look cloudy. It should be uniform throughout.

Hm... I look through it, it looks cloudy at some areas, but wipe with the cloth cannot remove.. so I was assuming it was inside

Originally posted by Zoomer
Polariser supposed to look dark/black if u look through 1 direction but not in the other. Not cloudy. Hold it up to a mirror and see.
As an aside, do note that this is true only of circular polarising filters. Linear polarising filters do not exhibit this phenomenon.

Originally posted by enivre
Hm... I look through it, it looks cloudy at some areas, but wipe with the cloth cannot remove.. so I was assuming it was inside

Cloudy should be mold.

Oh well, mold likes filters. I had seen some filters store in dry cabinet also like that.

Maybe the dry cabinet sucks though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.