Fungus in Lens...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canonlogist

Apr 27, 2006
Along North-East Line...
Hi,

I realized my lens (Tokin ATX-Pro 28-70) kena fungus :confused: . Can anyone please recommend me somewhere reliable to have it removed? Thanks...

The usual suspects.

TCW, CamX, etc...

Canonlogist said:
Hi,

I realized my lens (Tokin ATX-Pro 28-70) kena fungus :confused: . Can anyone please recommend me somewhere reliable to have it removed? Thanks...

Artosoft said:
DryCab...

Regards,
Arto.

Too late liao. Once kenna fungus, leave in the dry cabi also wun make the fungus vanish. TCW would be the next course of action liao. If gotten rid early, damage would be minimal.

ipin said:
Too late liao. Once kenna fungus, leave in the dry cabi also wun make the fungus vanish. TCW would be the next course of action liao. If gotten rid early, damage would be minimal.
That's why. People learn on hard way. If from beginning buy DryCab, can avoid to spend more money to clean the lens. How much cost to clean the lens? And how good the lens afterthat? And how much is DryCab?

Still not too late, DryCab for another lenses.

Regards,
Arto.

Artosoft said:
That's why. People learn on hard way. If from beginning buy DryCab, can avoid to spend more money to clean the lens. How much cost to clean the lens? And how good the lens afterthat? And how much is DryCab?

Still not too late, DryCab for another lenses.

Regards,
Arto.

Yup. Learn for people's mistakes. You wun live long enought to make them all yourself! :bsmilie:

if use those boxes with hygrometer then put and change silicon gel regularly ? should be ok?

Then the %RH might go too low, causing damage to your gear. (i.e. rubber parts cracking, seals of lenses failing, lubrication drying up etc). Also try to prevent using silica gel, it's toxic to an extent.

Do a search. many remarks and replies have been made on this topic. ;)

ipin said:
Then the %RH might go too low, causing damage to your gear. (i.e. rubber parts cracking, seals of lenses failing, lubrication drying up etc). Also try to prevent using silica gel, it's toxic to an extent.

Do a search. many remarks and replies have been made on this topic. ;)

Then what can be used to store gears? only dry cabinet?
I put my gears in office now and the humidity is about 60%. Is it a little bit too humid?

if you read my thread, my tokina 28-70 2.8 orange ring also kena fungus, but its not my fault, the guy sold me cheated me. anyway i sent it to TCW, and will collect it after the public holiday. tell you the results after i collect it

regards

freecloud said:
Then what can be used to store gears? only dry cabinet?
I put my gears in office now and the humidity is about 60%. Is it a little bit too humid?

IIRC, anything above %55 fungus would start germenating.
I would recomment a dry cabinet. Think about, u have spent so much on your gears, it would only be wise to pay for a dry cabinet to protect your investment, eh? ;)

duhduh83 said:
if you read my thread, my tokina 28-70 2.8 orange ring also kena fungus, but its not my fault, the guy sold me cheated me. anyway i sent it to TCW, and will collect it after the public holiday. tell you the results after i collect it

regards

My heart feels for you. Guess it pays to inspect stuff that we buy.

Do let us know of the outcome. (how much and the quality of work). :)

how much does it actually cost to do fugus removal?

TCW charged me 75 bucks, but ive heard of cheaper than that. try prime if you want to. its beside CP.

zcwnfx said:
if use those boxes with hygrometer then put and change silicon gel regularly ? should be ok?

Besides storing your eqpt in a dry cabinet, the other way is using a air-tight box with silica gels which is a cheaper option. In the long run, these gels have a certain lifespan and u need to buy some more to replace them. Even an air-tight box with silica gels doesn't guarantee that fungus do not grow on your eqpt. Each time the silica gels turn pink when they absorb the moisture in the box, you need to heat up the gels to get rib of the moisture. Imagine doing this periodically as long as you have your eqpt in the box. Sometime u can get lazy or forgot about it. It is better to invest in a dry cabinet though it cost more than using silica gel but in the long run it's your best bet in keeping fungus at bay. Set it to the right humidity, you get peace of mind. A small dry cabinet, which can store a camera body and a few piece lenses, doesn't cost much (about $100) which is much cheaper than what we paid for your gears.

redstorm said:
Besides storing your eqpt in a dry cabinet, the other way is using a air-tight box with silica gels which is a cheaper option. In the long run, these gels have a certain lifespan and u need to buy some more to replace them. Even an air-tight box with silica gels doesn't guarantee that fungus do not grow on your eqpt. Each time the silica gels turn pink when they absorb the moisture in the box, you need to heat up the gels to get rib of the moisture. Imagine doing this periodically as long as you have your eqpt in the box. Sometime u can get lazy or forgot about it. It is better to invest in a dry cabinet though it cost more than using silica gel but in the long run it's your best bet in keeping fungus at bay. Set it to the right humidity, you get peace of mind. A small dry cabinet, which can store a camera body and a few piece lenses, doesn't cost much (about $100) which is much cheaper than what we paid for your gears.
Don't forget, the blue colour for humidity indication of Silica Gel is Cobalt Chloride, which is carcinogen. Cancer caused agent.

Better safe than sorry.

Regards,
Arto.

hi, what is the ideal setting in your dry cabinet? for me 50-55%, someone told me it should be 40-50% i am confuse:confused:

yymun said:
hi, what is the ideal setting in your dry cabinet? for me 50-55%, someone told me it should be 40-50% i am confuse:confused:

I have mine set between 45-50% for years and this has worked out fine for me.

As I use my gear often, I have not see any problems so far. And I would
recommend that you take out and use your gear often. This as what many
would advise you to do as well. ;)

hi guys,

i returned today with my serviced lens. now it looks almost new. so i would recommend the original thread starter to go down to tcw and have it fixed. the only thing is that once a lens is infected with fungus, there is no way of clearing the marks totally. i observed my lens, it was alot better than b4. I would say 80-90% better, the minor markings left behind cannot be helped because the fungus has already eaten into it. So surely there will be some sort of markings. But not to worry, it wont affect the picture by laws of physics. i would say for 75 dollars it is quite worth it, unless you can find it cheaper somewhere else.

of course the other option is to sell it away, but i urge you, if you were to do so, please indicate it to the buyer..... its just plain honesty here. cos i dont wish someone else to fall into my own shoes....

gd luck!

duhduh83 said:
hi guys,

i returned today with my serviced lens. now it looks almost new. so i would recommend the original thread starter to go down to tcw and have it fixed. the only thing is that once a lens is infected with fungus, there is no way of clearing the marks totally. i observed my lens, it was alot better than b4. I would say 80-90% better, the minor markings left behind cannot be helped because the fungus has already eaten into it. So surely there will be some sort of markings. But not to worry, it wont affect the picture by laws of physics. i would say for 75 dollars it is quite worth it, unless you can find it cheaper somewhere else.

of course the other option is to sell it away, but i urge you, if you were to do so, please indicate it to the buyer..... its just plain honesty here. cos i dont wish someone else to fall into my own shoes....

gd luck!

:thumbsup: on you! I commend you on your mentality! :D
Wish EVERYONE can adopt your mentality. Have heard so MANY horror
stories from people here about dishonest deals. :nono:

Anyway, you wun be able to see much difference in the quality of pictures
from your serviced lens.

But do be careful of lens flare. With less coating, your lens wud be more
prone to flarings and ghostings. :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.