fungus growth inside front len my nikon 18-105

zwowz

Mar 9, 2009
i was quoted by Nikon service center 240++ to clean n change 2 lens element inside... my immediate thought is forget it...
went home check again no matter how i look it seem only front lens got fungus while inside there are some dust particles...

im even thinking of dissemble it myself but i cant find any youtube tutorial...

any where i can send to for cleaning or recommend what to do with it??

please help

While it's a good thing to learn how to DIY, always start with lenses u are planning to do without :) so u don't end up cursing yourself having to send a lens in pieces back to Nikon later.

U mentioned that the fungus seems to be in the front piece of glass, that may not be necessarily true either as it's only what eyes managed to see.

My suggestion is pm bro Fatigue first and see whether can he help ; if that's not possible , have Nikon do it and of course if wanting to learn how to clean fungus ridden glasses , buy one off BnS and have fun with it.

i was quoted by Nikon service center 240++ to clean n change 2 lens element inside... my immediate thought is forget it...
went home check again no matter how i look it seem only front lens got fungus while inside there are some dust particles...

im even thinking of dissemble it myself but i cant find any youtube tutorial...

any where i can send to for cleaning or recommend what to do with it??

please help

#1, buy a dry cabinet if you don't have one.

#2, look for bro David aka fatigue aka part time repair man (Part time means he can only take your assignment after he finish his day job, fulfil his obligation to his family and what is left on his private time)

18-105 is not worth much anyways. Just try to DIY. If not get a new lens.

I will pm bro Fatigue and see how it goes.

Didnt have a dry box just place it in a dry drawer with silica gel with thirsty hippo. im gonna will get one dry box after all this happen.

Yes 18 105 doesnt worth that 240 servicing thats why i walk away. Is almost a 5 yr old lens and perhaps i should just geta new lens

Thanks Keith and Cathtlights :)

Didnt have a dry box just place it in a dry drawer with silica gel with thirsty hippo. im gonna will get one dry box after all this happen.

The silica gel or thirsty hippo is useless if the container is not sealed.

As for DIY, although it's a kit lens, it's not for begginers to try. That lens requires special tools and some tricks to reassemble.

The silica gel or thirsty hippo is useless if the container is not sealed.

As for DIY, although it's a kit lens, it's not for begginers to try. That lens requires special tools and some tricks to reassemble.

Hi Fatigue, thank you for advice and replying to my thread.
by any chance u are free to take a look at my lens?
hmm what kind of special tools is it, it is possible to be purchase any where in sg or ebay?

If you search the net, you could be lucky to find and download the service repair manual of this lens.
On page D12, you'll see this
$18-1051.jpg
This could it explain why it will cost that much to get it cleaned.

Some camera technicians have there special tricks for this kind of situation

Hi all, I had my nikon 24-70 nano wanna clean too.. It grow fungus inside too.. Bro David.. I trying to pm you but ur inbox seem to be full already.. Pls get back to me ASAP... Thx ya

His pm or SMS sure kenna flooded when everyone text him for free cleaning.

Since its kit lens perhaps can just sell away cheaply as an infected set and buy another better lens which u could consider as an upgrade lor.

Meantime perhaps dont mix your infected lens with other equipment. Dont even use it on your camera body if possible. Those not yet infected equipment, better bring outdoor to take some shots under the sun. After that keep in proper dry box or cabinet.

Last edited: