Fungus growing on dry cabinet

pete2322

Oct 8, 2009
I just realized that my dry cabinet was somehow malfunction and was infested with fungus. I've sent the dry unit for repair thought the warranty was void. Thus anyone has idea on how to kill/sterilize the fungus?

What brand of dry cabinet?

China Brand one. I got it from China :). Forgotten the name donno is jinbei or something like that

might be more worthwhile buying a new cabinet

When using dry cabinet it is actually necessary to check the hygrometer once a while to ensure it is working fine.

ziploc said:
When using dry cabinet it is actually necessary to check the hygrometer once a while to ensure it is working fine.

I always use digitAl hygrometer

Sorry to hear this ... Your stuff in the cab ok ?

huh? check the hydrometer? I tot is just ensure got reading displayed can liao....

SkyStrike said:
huh? check the hydrometer? I tot is just ensure got reading displayed can liao....

Must see what reading also mah. If it's at 70+% sure got something wrong

You need to check the hygrometer to ensure the %RH is within the desired range (which is about 40-55% RH for lenses)

To kill the fungus in the cabinet, use a cloth dunked in soap solution and wipe the interior a few times. Then leave it in direct sun light for a few hours for a dose of UV. Instead of soap solution, you can also use a disinfectant.

Make sure you wipe all the corners or else even a small area of fungus will multiply itself again.

Must see what reading also mah. If it's at 70+% sure got something wrong

You need to check the hygrometer to ensure the %RH is within the desired range (which is about 40-55% RH for lenses)

oh...I normally see the reading almost everyday before leaving for work. Cos at first I tot you mean need to use other means to see if the hydrometer is working. (e.g. using a hydrometer to check a hydrometer :bsmilie:)

Soap? I think a 10% bleach solution is more effective at disinfecting. Wipe with bleach solution, leave it there for a while and clean with water to remove the bleach. Good luck.

To kill the fungus in the cabinet, use a cloth dunked in soap solution and wipe the interior a few times. Then leave it in direct sun light for a few hours for a dose of UV. Instead of soap solution, you can also use a disinfectant.

Make sure you wipe all the corners or else even a small area of fungus will multiply itself again.

I use silicon gel in combination with the box,

as long as silicon gel turns transparent clear color, that means it is not dry enough,

digital measurement is never as reliable as physical reaction.

meters can go wrong any way even you read

pete2322 said:
China Brand one. I got it from China :). Forgotten the name donno is jinbei or something like that

China brand?? U should just throw away and get new one.

How much is the repair cost?? The repair cost could get u a new one

Even after repair, no guarantee that it won't get spoilt again....

Save yr trouble of washing and cleaning off the fungus. It's not foolproof. After whole day of cleaning, fungus can grow again

oh...I normally see the reading almost everyday before leaving for work. Cos at first I tot you mean need to use other means to see if the hydrometer is working. (e.g. using a hydrometer to check a hydrometer :bsmilie:)

Haha, sorry for not phrasing it clearly. :)

I use silicon gel in combination with the box,

as long as silicon gel turns transparent clear color, that means it is not dry enough,

digital measurement is never as reliable as physical reaction.

meters can go wrong any way even you read

That's a bad idea as your %RH might get too low, because the silica gels absorb additional moisture from the air and they're not under the control of the dessicator. If you're kiasu just put another hygrometer inside the cabinet to double confirm.

That's a bad idea as your %RH might get too low, because the silica gels absorb additional moisture from the air and they're not under the control of the dessicator. If you're kiasu just put another hygrometer inside the cabinet to double confirm.

+1

I have 4 hygrometers... that makes me super kiasu? LOL....

Haha, I only have 1 additional hygrometer shared between my 2 60L cabinets. :)

Haha, I only have 1 additional hygrometer shared between my 2 60L cabinets. :)

I also have 2 dry cabs. Only problem is they are both 2 sections ones, with 2 separate de-humidifier units each... so no choice.