Fungus and funny smell on your camera bag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Deregistered
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
Living in a high humidity place like Singapore is not easy... Besides protecting our expensive camera equipment against the dreadful fungus, we usually can't help it with other stuffs like our good old CD collection, etc.

Now I realize even my camera/tripod bags have white spots which I assume are fungus too! And after not using the bag for some time, there's this certain smell. To think I've got to put my beloved camera into the bag. Anyone with this experience? I suppose just got to wipe them off...

David said:
Living in a high humidity place like Singapore is not easy... Besides protecting our expensive camera equipment against the dreadful fungus, we usually can't help it with other stuffs like our good old CD collection, etc.

Now I realize even my camera/tripod bags have white spots which I assume are fungus too! And after not using the bag for some time, there's this certain smell. To think I've got to put my beloved camera into the bag. Anyone with this experience? I suppose just got to wipe them off...

sun your bags, if you cannot wash them due to having leather tags or other accessories. every 6 months, always wipe your inserts after your sun sand and sea events as you may leave sand and salt in your bag.

dont keep you bags in the cupboard where is it dark and damp for too long. all my bags are fine beacuse i use them frequently enough.

smell? Usually I onli wash the shoulder strap...bag and camera 1...very smelly

In ur bag? I dun think so....

i think it's mildew... those thirsty hippo thingy may help.

Put a big piece of charcoal and cover properly so wont stain and also a big pack of cheap chinese tea.
Charcoal help to absorb some humility and tea absorb nasty smell.

karwing said:
i think it's mildew... those thirsty hippo thingy may help.

Dun put together with the lens though....thirsty hippo i mean

jnifur said:
Dun put together with the lens though....thirsty hippo i mean
silicon gel for camera and lenses in dry box, hungry hippo for the bag (after taking out equipment).

as a habbit, i return my equipment to the drybox after outings (no need to dismental).

try not to leave your equipment in the bag for extended periods. :hung:

to get rid of the mildew... nature's sun would do. but to prevent the mildew... go for more photography outings!!! ;)

Why cannot put thristy hippo together with the lens? :dunno: I thought it also absorbs moisture, whats the difference between hippo and silicon gel?

wiping off fungus.
do a clean job or you may be dispersing the spores, encouraging them to grow instead. :bigeyes:
may want to try alcohol swipe? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.