Fungus and Dust

Status
Not open for further replies.
from what ive seen, fungus normally grows in lines like erratic spider webs and is quite clear or translucent.. but i cant say im an expert in all types of camera fungus..

so to be safe, better send for cleaning.

If the marks are obvious I suggest you get it clean as it may affect your photgraphs when you take your camera out for shots. Take it back to the respective lens manufacturer so you can have peace of mind when hey clean it.

Err, what I mean is that if there are white or black spots in the inner elements of the lens, how do I know whether it is dust or fungus? Hope this will make my question clearer.

Cheers;)

Henessy said:
Err, what I mean is that if there are white or black spots in the inner elements of the lens, how do I know whether it is dust or fungus? Hope this will make my question clearer.

Cheers;)

Just like what all have said sent it for cleaning.
We can't tell, fungus comes in white and black spots and its can be very contagious.
Do you want an expensive lens to rot or save?

Cos if I am not wrong, I remember someone mention that one may zoom in or zoom out to test whether it is dust or fungus. But I forgot the details, and could not find the old thread.
Hope you all may help me.

Thanks

If there are a lot of spots and you physically can see it needs to be clean even if it's not fungus as it would affect your shots. Anyway you can always get them to evaluate the cost of cleaning by passing the lens to them.

Henessy said:
Cos if I am not wrong, I remember someone mention that one may zoom in or zoom out to test whether it is dust or fungus. But I forgot the details, and could not find the old thread.
Hope you all may help me.

Thanks

I heard pple saying that for lenses with zooming extension and retraction can cause dusts to get into the lens?

Snoweagle said:
I heard pple saying that for lenses with zooming extension and retraction can cause dusts to get into the lens?

I heard of this also. It's possible as there no seals on the lens.

smtan24 said:
I heard of this also. It's possible as there no seals on the lens.

If the lens is 100% air tight, then the zoom will not function at all. So, yes, the dust will get sucked in.

Oicic...so must take care when i'm using my zoom lens in dustier areas.

I think those internal zoom ones are less likely, especially those L ones which are weather-sealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.