Fungus - Am I taking proper care of my gear?

weaver46

Feb 2, 2012
Hallo all,...

I am relatively new to camera and seek your advise on fungus protection. I have Panny GX1, a kit lens, 14mm lens and 20mm lens.

Initially I started off by buying a transparent air-tight container and put silica gels in it. I bought a RM 38 (SGD 15) thermohygrometer to monitor the humidity. When fresh, the silica gel produce result of about 40 - 45 RH. After awhile it gets to 50 then to 60 RH.

I changed my method now. Please advise if I am doing it correctly or its the wrong approach.
I am from Penang, Malaysia,...as you know is hot and humid. My camera is always in my bedroom, every night I switch on the air-condition from
9pm to 2am with self timer off.
In the bedroom with air-cond switched on, my thermohygrometer gives a reading of low 40 RH, which I thought is the ideal humidity for camera storage. So what I do is, when air-cond is switched on, I left the air tight container open, when humidity is low enough, I close the air-tight container with all my gears inside + the thermohygrometer inside.

In the following morning, the thermohygrometer shows increase in temperature to about 30 C,...but the humidity remains the same.

Is my new method a good method? I don't have to buy dry box or silica gels,...or bake the silica gel.

However, I do have concerns of condensation -

1. Every night with my gears in air-tight container, with air cond from 9am to 2pm,...then becomes warmer....Will I risk condensation on my lense and body?

- Or condensation happens only if there is a rapid / sudden change of temperature of object vs. environment? Meaning when my air-cond is switched off at 2am,...the temperature increase slowly and gradually,...thus my gears will not face condensation.

2. Keeping my gears in air-tight container for several days with low humidity of low 40RH,....means when temperature outside the container changes,....I will still not risk condensation,....because the humidity is low inside?

I intend to use this new method because of two reasons -
- I always switch on the air cond at night without fail,...anyway,....all I need is switch it on once,...then air-tight the container for many days with humidity remaining the same.
- I have the feeling of confidence and security that whenever the air-cond is switched on,...humidity will be good for camera storage.
I don't feel secured using silica gels,...I mean we have to always look at RH readings,...and color of the gel,...how pink is considered too pink??

By the way,....I always do random check on my thermohygrometer,...by taking it outside of aircond room and back inside to see the changes on the readings....and if it shows reasonable or logical amount of changes,....then I know it is functioning. At a cheap cost of SGD 15, it may not give accurate readings,...but at least I know it "functions",...if in air-cond room it shows humidity of low 40 RH,...when in non-Air cond environment it shows about 60RH,...and when it is going to rain or raining outside,...it goes up to nearly 70RH when the reading is captured indoor.

Hope to get your feedback and advise on my new method of fungus prevention -
Other than condensation risk,...what other risks do you foresee with this method of mine?

Erm... why do you just buy a dry cabinet and save all the fuss and to have peace of mind?

chillicutter said:
Erm... why do you just buy a dry cabinet and save all the fuss and to have peace of mind?

With that you don't even need to commit turning on air-con every night... I don't know how much electricity bill is in Malaysia, I suspect it's cheaper than Singapore. One full year of electricity bill for the dry cabinet is abt S$9 (rounded up)

But TS, is it difficult to purchase a dry cabinet in Penang?

after all the troubles of checking, monitoring, maintaining, how much $$ can you save on using a dry box instead of dry cabinet?

why don't just get electric dry cabinet and get over it, spend your time and energy on something more productive, like go out and take photos?

Fungus do not form so easily, it needs a combination of the right conditions

Even if u just leave it lying around on your table top for a few days, fungus do not just grow

Buy a dry cabinet. Best solution. No need to monitor everyday.

Hallo Cowseye,...all....

The reason I am considering the air-cond method instead of dry cabinet is this -

- whether I am having camera or not,...I am already switching on the air-cond every night without fail because it is so hot here.
And my house got 3 air-cond in different rooms,....so I dont have to worry about air-cond breakdown and so on...

- secondly, with air-tight container,...once you got the humidity low and close it,....i found that after closing the container,...you can maintain the same humidity for many days...

Therefore,....I thought that I do not need to buy a dry cabinet.

I am not sure if there is anyone else using the same method as me.

Just get a electronic dry cabinate and end your troubles.

Just get a electronic dry cabinate and end your troubles.

2nd this. Really a dry cabinet is so much more convenient and you don't have to post question like this in the forum, worrying about this and that.

Everytime you open and close the container, you will have to adjust the RH again. Why make life so difficult for yourself?

Just my 2 cents worth.

weaver46 said:
Hallo Cowseye,...all....

The reason I am considering the air-cond method instead of dry cabinet is this -

- whether I am having camera or not,...I am already switching on the air-cond every night without fail because it is so hot here.
And my house got 3 air-cond in different rooms,....so I dont have to worry about air-cond breakdown and so on...

- secondly, with air-tight container,...once you got the humidity low and close it,....i found that after closing the container,...you can maintain the same humidity for many days...

There are many that are using your method but they all eventually switch to a cabinet. It's less hassle, more reliable and you don't have to worry like you currently are. Just buy a dry cabinet.

Give yourself a break. Help yourself. Go and get a dry cabinet.. Many have done what you been doing..in the end they still buy a dry cabinet and become a happier person.

I dontknow how long you can last doing these.. but if you are happy doing what you're doing. Its fine. Go ahead. (really no point asking already..since you want to do it your way and all if not many of us recommend you to get a dry cabinet).

Old thread which hopefully can offer some advice to your concerns. At least you can rest easier on the lubricant n rubber parts.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/gene...s-truth-myth-humidity-levels.html#post7663690

Hallo Cowseye,...all....

Last edited: