funeral Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinze

Jul 23, 2008
Dear All fellow bro & Sis,

just wondering if any have done funeral photography,
and if there are any tips / sensitive issues / Custom etc to take note of, and also the rough base guide lines one should take note of.

Thanks in advance & look forward to learning for you guys.

best talk to the family, ask what they want, want they dont want u to do, if chinese with toaist prayer, maybe talk to the toaist?

best talk to the family, ask what they want, want they dont want u to do, if chinese with toaist prayer, maybe talk to the toaist?

thanks !
that i guess would be done, but is there anything to watch out for ? like dont take pictures of the body with flash ? or during cremation etc etc. any custom that i should be aware of before i add further grief to the family ?

Thanks Again, its not a paid shoot but rather for a cousin grand mum, and i believe its the first time i or any of the family members will be used to seeing a guy taking pictures during the funeral

Thanks !

Dear All fellow bro & Sis,

just wondering if any have done funeral photography,
and if there are any tips / sensitive issues / Custom etc to take note of, and also the rough base guide lines one should take note of.

Thanks in advance & look forward to learning for you guys.

someone hired you, or you are going to shoot your friend's or relative's?

think the most impt thing is never shoot head on... either the deceased or the relatives. cos you will sure get shot... and never ever trigger happy run around when they are doing rituals.

the photog who covered my grandma's funeral 2 years back (but some how, my dad & uncles count it as 3 years:dunno::dunno:), he spoke to my uncles, got common understanding, so flash & head on shots were ok.

but like dca mentioned, dont run around as though u r covering an event or concert.

toaist? :bsmilie:

taoist issit? so a taoist ritual.

btw, not talk to the toaist... should be the priest performing the ritual.

its like taking wedding photos... no portfolio, ask couple what they want... same case... ask the family what kind they want... but dun be like a wedding photographer, super on the ball and take from every angle, run around.

this kinda stuff... its the delivery of the mood, you don't have to find fancy artistic angle... you just have to do a documentary shots... take it solemn, if you have relative who is camera shy, go shoot somebody or somewhere else, the last thing you wanna do in a funeral is have a fight or arguement. respect the deceased.

one thing u must never ever do,

"guys look at me, 1, 2, 3, say cheese":sweat::sweat:

Thanks Bros,

That Seems to be the main point then, Talk to the family, den just show basic respect, should not be a problem.

Thanks !

depends on the ritual.

I shoot only Christian Wakes, anything also can, shooting deceased head on with flash is a little tricky, cos have to shoot thru a glass.
anyway, it won't be that very particular.. don't expect the deceased will open their eyes and smile at you...

remember to shoot each and individuals Wreath, Condolence flowers stand, sympathy flowers etc.

sometime, family members, relatives, friends will ask for photos taking standing next to the coffin, you need to standby a small ladder, so able to see the face of deceased and the whole group.

hope this help.

sometime, family members, relatives, friends will ask for photos taking standing next to the coffin, you need to standby a small ladder, so able to see the face of deceased and the whole group.

hope this help.

thats something i didnt know. only been to chinese buddist / toaist, muslim wake.

thanks for sharing.

isn't there some taboo during a chinese funeral, like we are not supposed to look when they nail the coffin, or when they carry the coffin up the hearse? so as a photographer, it would do yourself good to follow such taboo.

unless you totally do not believe such things. :)

isn't there some taboo during a chinese funeral, like we are not supposed to look when they nail the coffin, or when they carry the coffin up the hearse? so as a photographer, it would do yourself good to follow such taboo.

thats why i posted "talk to the toaist". for those believers, get green light from them safest.

did a shot before on the request of the family.

there's two of us. my friend was taking pics and I'm holding the video cam.

most important is to check what the family do not want to take and no flash. Also not to be intrusive.

yeah, u don look as the coffin is carried to and loaded onto the hearse...taboo? donno...more like respect kuar?

I was once at the place collecting the ash after cremation.
A family approached me to take a family photo with the ash.

OUt of habit, I say 1, 2, 3, cheeeeeese.
And they all did.

but yeah just 1 point of view from me its best not to shoot this kind of stuff
the family may like feel like doing this that moment due to rememberance but than like after 5-10yrs you expect them to look@ the picture and say hey its my grandma's funeral and theres dad n mom looking happily?

but yeah just 1 point of view from me its best not to shoot this kind of stuff
the family may like feel like doing this that moment due to rememberance but than like after 5-10yrs you expect them to look@ the picture and say hey its my grandma's funeral and theres dad n mom looking happily?

that...would be disturbing on so many levels. but ummm...why does ppl want photos of funerals? losing someone is bad enuf...but to be reminded of it every time they look at the photos...i mean...saddening leh...:cry:

that...would be disturbing on so many levels. but ummm...why does ppl want photos of funerals? losing someone is bad enuf...but to be reminded of it every time they look at the photos...i mean...saddening leh...:cry:

Yah I dont understand this either. Why do people want to capture the funerals and get a set of photos which you most likely would not want to look at it again?:dunno:
I even saw videographer at funeral before.

Status
Not open for further replies.