Fundamental Digital SLR Handling course

kehjz

Jan 29, 2009
anyone been to similar courses like this? i just got a DSLR and i got a complimentary course. what does they teach there?

anyone been to similar courses like this? i just got a DSLR and i got a complimentary course. what does they teach there?

don't really know, but according to what the canon website says, its to understand the functions of the camera and how to use it..

don't think it really teaches anything more than that...

it will teach you how to use your camera and what the various modes mean. All of this can be found in your manual and in every beginner's photography guide in the world and all over the internet.

i read lots of books from the library, so more or less regarding using the camera, i should be ok, though i don't really understand the aperture, exposure, all the layman terms that is

it will teach you how to use your camera and what the various modes mean. All of this can be found in your manual and in every beginner's photography guide in the world and all over the internet.

Does that mean if I do some 'homework' and read through the manual, read some books from the library, it's not necessary to go to such course? Thank you for the advises.

Does that mean if I do some 'homework' and read through the manual, read some books from the library, it's not necessary to go to such course? Thank you for the advises.

Correct. But you can also go to the course to ask questions if you're not clear about something.

i read lots of books from the library, so more or less regarding using the camera, i should be ok, though i don't really understand the aperture, exposure, all the layman terms that is

Those are the very basics. I suggest reading other books. :p

Those are the very basics. I suggest reading other books. :p

I have a rough idea of what most things are, but really when combined together, it seems hard to execute.. :bsmilie:

Go for outings or just meet ups.
There you will have a lot of people you can learn from or share equipment with.

Go for outings or just meet ups.
There you will have a lot of people you can learn from or share equipment with.

Not many users will be willing to share their $1k+ lenses...

I'm kinda confused... after reading all the books, you still don't understand the basics of photography? So what actually is in the books that you've been reading?

I still think that the best way to get competent with your camera is to have it in front of you whilst you flip through a guide book or user manual. Even better if you're somewhere you can try it out immediately.
The basics you should try to read up beforehand, then apply it when you're out and about and hopefully it will sink in...

these are very fundamental, you need to sort this out before you even go further, else you will get more difficult to understand some concepts later on.

anyway, different people learn things differently, some people are better on reading by themself, some prefer interacting ways, some prefer hands on. find out what works best on you.

you have to do hands-on, try out the theory

then if you still cannot understand, ask someone

if you ask me, such courses have limited value as they will likely teach you very basic stuff which you can easily assimilate on your own.

suggest u go for the course since u only don't understand really understand that and have difficulty in combine everything into photo.

it is a good place to know more "newbie" friends, and learn together.

I have a rough idea of what most things are, but really when combined together, it seems hard to execute.. :bsmilie:

Ok here we go again.

Daredevil's free and easy photography links... free and just for you my friend. Read and become pro!

ok just joking about the pro part.... here goes:

Camera basics
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544

Composition
http://www.amateursnapper.com/photography/10-top-photography-composition-rules
http://digital-photography-school.com/digital-photography-composition-tips

More topics covered here:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm