Functions of D70s

Status
Not open for further replies.

cantaresg

Feb 23, 2007
Woodlands
Hi, just some questions on this camera here.

1. Does this camera has AI focus? That means, since the camera has 5 af points, does the camera select which focus points to use automatically? How do you set this?
2. Can I set autofocus modes like AI servo and AI focus as with a canon camera?
3. Is there any short cut keys to change the ISO of the camera?
4. Is the camera capable of setting rear-curtain sync?

Thanks for your reply. Please do not flame me for not reading the manual, as I do not possess it, nor have the camera in my hands to test out. It just happens that my school is using this camera and when I tried to use these functions (which I'm very used to in my canon system) I got stuck. Thanks.

1) of course definitely can. There is the closest subject focus mode. any object nearest to the 5 cursors will cause that particular cursor to be used. secondly, if u use the auto mode, the camera will also determine the subject and use any cursors the camera determines. However u can also use the control pad to move up down right left and select the cursor u want to use.

2) there is AF-S and AF-C. AF-S is for AF-stationary. meaning used to focus on stationary objects. for AF-C (AF-continuous) the cursor will keep tracking the intended moving subject (however on a D70s, just ignore this function, the tracking is tooooooo slow)

3) sorry no shortcut watsoever. BUT the iso is conveniently allocated a button at the back, very very very easy to change. takes less than 1 second to change to ur desired iso. Just press a button and turn dial thats all.

4) rear curtain sync - of course definitely can !! its the legendary D70s !!!!!!!!!!!

To access the more sophisticated functions, u need to go into ur camera menu. On the left u can see a triangle, a camera, a pencil and a spanner icon rite? move down to the spanner icon, then select CSM menu then right arrow, then select detailed, then ok

I figured out how to change the focus points. Just that I thought there was no AI focusing as there was no shortcut to change this. I meddled with the button that changes the focusing points but it does not perform the AI focusing that I hoped for.

Same thing for the ISO. I was meddling with all 4 buttons and other buttons I could find on the camera, but I was not able to change the setting at all.

And lastly, how do you activate the rear-curtain sync? I searched through the c. function but I can't find it there.

I figured out how to change the focus points. Just that I thought there was no AI focusing as there was no shortcut to change this. I meddled with the button that changes the focusing points but it does not perform the AI focusing that I hoped for.

Same thing for the ISO. I was meddling with all 4 buttons and other buttons I could find on the camera, but I was not able to change the setting at all.

And lastly, how do you activate the rear-curtain sync? I searched through the c. function but I can't find it there.

for the iso: u look at the back of ur camera, beside the lcd screen, on the left there is the iso word rite? then use ur left hand and hold on the button below the iso word. then use ur right thumb and turn the dial. the dial at the back, not in front.

for rear curtain sync: u need to pop up the flash first. hold onto the button that u press to pop the flash, then turn the dial at the back of ur camera, until the top status panel shows "rear".

I believe AI focusing is only available in Auto mode. In the other modes, PASM, it's not working. You select your focus point.

Hope I'm not wrong though I'm using a D70s.;p

What do you mean by AI focusing? Artificial Intelligent focusing?

Regards,
Arto.

What do you mean by AI focusing? Artificial Intelligent focusing?

Regards,
Arto.

AI Focus is Canon's "Smart" focusing (which I don't rely on. Heh.). It's supposedly intelligent enough to switch between AF-S and AF-C modes when you're shooting, but I haven't had a high success rate with it so I'll give it a pass. YMMV.

AI Focus is Canon's "Smart" focusing (which I don't rely on. Heh.). It's supposedly intelligent enough to switch between AF-S and AF-C modes when you're shooting, but I haven't had a high success rate with it so I'll give it a pass. YMMV.
Well..., I still believe we are the master of the camera, not the slave of the camera ;) .

We control the camera, not vice versa...

Regards,
Arto.

Well..., I still believe we are the master of the camera, not the slave of the camera ;) .

We control the camera, not vice versa...

Regards,
Arto.
That's why I didn't search for that function all this time.:D

It's much easier to select the focus pt ourselves instead of letting the camera decide.;p

usually I don't use these functions either. But I thought, if there is a chance, I may request to give the students in my school some short courses to use their D70s. Despite being a canon supporter, it cause some dismay to see the two nikons being used as a PS camera. If there are any tips that you can share on this camera, please share. I will request to the Teacher-in-charge when I have the time to see if it will be good to do some short courses with the kids.

You are a teacher? Maybe you should become the TIC of photography instead. Heh. Funny how the school does not seem to be doing much to help the photography society.

It's nice to point kids in the right direction from an early stage.

Ya. It's just kinda weird since the TIC doesn't know anything about photography either. I believe the students thought that by using the camera at auto mode, they can take good pics. But the pics turn up to be blurred and such. The main reason is they are not aware of the relationship between aperture and shuttle speed, and rely too much on the AI of the camera and the flash.

Plus they probably didn't know how to focus properly since there's no Ai-AF, unlike PnS.
Why not hold a photography primer for your students? Then they will grasp the basics of photography. The holidays are round the corner too, good chance!

Okay. I'm no expert. But if it happens that you intend to carry this out during their school holidays, perhaps I can chip in to help if my schedule allows. I'd be back in SG during the Jun - Aug period.

I have come across a teacher-in-charge of a school who bought the Canon 5D with EF-S kit lens and only to find that they are not compatible...:bsmilie:

BC

I have come across a teacher-in-charge of a school who bought the Canon 5D with EF-S kit lens and only to find that they are not compatible...:bsmilie:

BC

Wahlao...:kok:

Status
Not open for further replies.