Functions of a Lens hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

mivecdohc

Feb 21, 2008
Sunny(rainy) singapore
Hi,

may I know the functions of a lens hood? Yup, i know it protects the lens and reduces flares. But do I really need one? Thanks!

Joel

Well, if you have been fine without one, then you don't need one. You've got the function nailed down already, so no need for me to help you out on that.

Well, if you have been fine without one, then you don't need one. You've got the function nailed down already, so no need for me to help you out on that.

Yeah.. who needs your help right? Hahaha :p

Yes, they do shield against accidental knocks and prevent flaring. I just bought a better hood (The one made for EFS 17-55) for my 17-40L on wed. Even though it might not have an immediate impact on my photographs, I know it'll help in the long run (as long as I stick to 1.6crop cams haha).

Since you have it, might as well use it-- It's meant to be used, y'know =)

Do note that a lens hood might cause a shadow when you use flash. Also, if the lens hood is too shallow it might not help in shielding the lens at all.

Samuel

Shields your lens from stray light hitting the lens from other angles and causing unnecesary flares. Does not have to be sunlight. Also can be a form of mechanical protection against accidental bumps to your lens.

But to what extent it improves your image in all other instances is debatable and you are to judge yourself though. Else just use a makeshift cap ( I do that sometimes when overseas travelling ) Personally I do not use them because it adds too much bulk to my travelling gear.

Ryan

Personally I find it very useful esp when shooting into the sun... one other impt purpose is that it makes your gear look pro! ;)

...Personally I do not use them because it adds too much bulk to my travelling gear.

Ryan

Yup this is one major grievance with using hoods that I find comes along with the added protection, no matter how significant or purely psychological.

And it is not like you can share a lens hood :( Apart from the obvious differences in diameter of lenses that you might carry, using a non customised lens hood for a particular focal length may cause mechanical vignetting to occur

Ryan

Some ppl wears a cap when out in the sun some doesn't.
It can effect the pic like petal hoods on the canon 16-35L when used with a flash give you an irritating hump looking widget/shadow.

Even when strong light falling on the front element or filter doesn't cause flare, it can cause a loss of contrast (cloudy effect).

Even when strong light falling on the front element or filter doesn't cause flare, it can cause a loss of contrast (cloudy effect).

Stray light incident on the front element can lead to flare as a result of internal reflection and itself can cause unwanted *sunspots* as well as the hazy loss of contrast doesn't it ?

Ryan

my lens hoods seems uneffective sumtimes (flaring still occurs, or it could just be my cheap UV filter).. but i love to leave it on to protect it from knocks and accidentally touching the filter..

my lens hoods seems uneffective sumtimes (flaring still occurs, or it could just be my cheap UV filter).. but i love to leave it on to protect it from knocks and accidentally touching the filter..

Suspect it's your UV filter too. Get it changed if it's a major concern.

As for your UV filter, actually if you got the hood the accidental knocks shld not get the front elements that easily or to touch them.

Ryan

I bought one for my 18-55mm VR lens, but the lens hood shows a circular "crop" when I zoom, so mine is a bit useless, haha!

I bought one for my 18-55mm VR lens, but the lens hood shows a circular "crop" when I zoom, so mine is a bit useless, haha!

Did you, like, get the wrong hood?

Did you get HB-33 instead of HB-45 (which is the correct hood for the VR version)?

You might have gotten the wrong hood or that the hood was placed loosely without clicking in position or placed crooked at an angle :bigeyes: A little misalignment can lead to easy vignetting.

Even if you got the right hood, you can try shooting at 18mm with hood on and off and compare.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.