Fullerton Hotel

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCLow

Nov 14, 2004
I wanted a dark grainy look. So shot on ISO3200 at about 7pm and scanned. Does it work for you?

Fullerton2small.jpg

Haha personally I like it! :thumbsup:

I like the moody, comtemplative atmosphere of this shot. The tree falling over the structure adds drama and a touch of eeriness. Very different from the usual shots which portray the fullerton as majestic and elegant.

Though from exp. I know these kinda shots are a matter or personal taste. Some may find it messy etc. So take any comments in your stride, and continue shooting what inspires you.

You have my vote!

solarii said:
Haha personally I like it! :thumbsup:

I like the moody, comtemplative atmosphere of this shot. The tree falling over the structure adds drama and a touch of eeriness. Very different from the usual shots which portray the fullerton as majestic and elegant.

Though from exp. I know these kinda shots are a matter or personal taste. Some may find it messy etc. So take any comments in your stride, and continue shooting what inspires you.

You have my vote!

Thank you. Glad you like it. Surely will not make it into their brochures :bsmilie: ! Unfortunately only have about 2-3 keepers in this roll of 12 shots. A couple of shots ruined by exposure problems. Still got lots to learn using sunny 16 to meter.

Agrees with solarii here. It does gives a very eerie feel :sweat:
I also like this picture. :thumbsup:

yup it does work for me. technically why ISO3200?

To be honest, I just wanted to try a higher ISO to create an old grainy feeling, and Ruby only had 3200 when I tried! :)

I have seen some of the beautiful works you guys have previously posted, thus I am very glad you like it. Thanks.

I only wish I had included slightly more of the base and pavement of the building on the lower right corner so as not to cut it off at the base! Well, still need to look, and think more before I shoot.

nice.... but could be better if shot from a lower angle with the tree framing the hotel.... it also will give the hotel a more imposing feeling....even more eerie! haha :p

nemesis32 said:
nice.... but could be better if shot from a lower angle with the tree framing the hotel.... it also will give the hotel a more imposing feeling....even more eerie! haha :p

Thanks for the suggestion.

Actually I shot this as part of a series I am working on to showcase the trees in Singapore in the urban areas. I find that we have some beautiful trees in housing areas, in CBD, on the highways etc, but many people take them for granted or even never notice them. So other than the misleading title in this post, the main character is the tree. What do you think?

KCLow said:
Thanks for the suggestion.

Actually I shot this as part of a series I am working on to showcase the trees in Singapore in the urban areas. I find that we have some beautiful trees in housing areas, in CBD, on the highways etc, but many people take them for granted or even never notice them. So other than the misleading title in this post, the main character is the tree. What do you think?

From the picture, don't seems that the tree is the subject..:dunno:
If the background (Hotel) of the tree is blurred, the subject will stand out better.

light said:
From the picture, don't seems that the tree is the subject..:dunno:
If the background (Hotel) of the tree is blurred, the subject will stand out better.

Thanks for responding to my thread. I feel that I wanted to showcase trees in our urban environment so the buildings around them etc actually plays a role, thus I wanted them also to be in focus. I am not interested in just trees, or trees in a nature reserve etc. I guess when I compile more pictures and let people view them as a collection, the topic will be clearer?

I find this image to be under-exposed. May I know what camera did u use? Which film brand? Actually you can adjust yr camera's speed dial to either 800 or 1600 and expose/shoot as per normal. Preferably at ISO800 speed dial. Such adjustment tends to push yr exposures higher for more highlights & contrast. Maybe you'll get slightly more grainy efx after normal processing. :)

Currently I'm trying Fujifilm Superia 1600 color negatives on my Nikon FM10 for night street photography. I adjusted my speed dial to ISO800. Without TTL metering, I expose all shots with the widest aperture at f3.5-4.5 with shutter speed of 1/60 or 1/125sec. At slight darker areas, I expose at 1/30sec without tripod.

Looking forward to see the results. Will start a new thread to share with everyone. Cheers mate! :)

P.S. If you're interested in night shooting with high speed film, why not take part in our first Night Photography outing here: http://www.ecircleoflight.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1374#1374

a bit flat. still relatively smooth grains. if u want grainy do some pushing, tri-X or delta/t-max 3200

Mezzotint said:
I find this image to be under-exposed. May I know what camera did u use? Which film brand? Actually you can adjust yr camera's speed dial to either 800 or 1600 and expose/shoot as per normal. Preferably at ISO800 speed dial. Such adjustment tends to push yr exposures higher for more highlights & contrast. Maybe you'll get slightly more grainy efx after normal processing. :)

Currently I'm trying Fujifilm Superia 1600 color negatives on my Nikon FM10 for night street photography. I adjusted my speed dial to ISO800. Without TTL metering, I expose all shots with the widest aperture at f3.5-4.5 with shutter speed of 1/60 or 1/125sec. At slight darker areas, I expose at 1/30sec without tripod.

Looking forward to see the results. Will start a new thread to share with everyone. Cheers mate! :)

P.S. If you're interested in night shooting with high speed film, why not take part in our first Night Photography outing here: http://www.ecircleoflight.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1374#1374

You guys damned sharp, how to escape your eyes! Yes, the photo is underexposed. As mentioned earlier, I used sunny16 to estimate exposure, and I still got lots to learn.

I used a Bronica SQ-Ai with a Waist Level Finder, no in camera metering. Ilford Delta 3200 Pro film.

hi,
can give more info on the camera settings ? doesn't look as grainy as I thought it would be.
like the B+W though, especially on this building. Effect of the tree is very good. thought the building was the subject till you clarify later. Maybe good then, to let the tree take up
2/3 of the frame with the fullerton building taking a lesser space more to mark the position of the tree for reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.