Full ND vs GND?

lewissac

Sep 20, 2011
Hi,

I intend to get ND square filter. However, I'm not quite understand what is the function of these two and how does it uses? Did look through some examples of the photos in googles taken with those filters but seems identical to me...

Would they be the same price?

Wish to know also the price range for a basic Cokin kit (holder + ring + 1 filter).. (again the price guide forum seems pretty outdated, 2009)

lewissac said:
Hi,

I intend to get ND square filter. However, I'm not quite understand what is the function of these two and how does it uses? Did look through some examples of the photos in googles taken with those filters but seems identical to me...

Would they be the same price?

Wish to know also the price range for a basic Cokin kit (holder + ring + 1 filter).. (again the price guide forum seems pretty outdated, 2009)

Hey there,

Afaik the physical difference that can be seen between ND & GND is the coverage of the "densiticity". Err.. forget about the term lol.

To put it simple ND will be black/gray all across the entire filter. While only half of the GND is covered in black/gray, with great and smooth transition graduation from the black/gray to clear.
Most of the landscape photographer uses almost exclusively only ND in different steps or few filter stacking to achieve long shutter speed in bright day light (sometimes the smallest f value and lowest ISO is not enough to achieve those angel-hair-like water fall/moving clouds/moving motion etc).

GND is quite versatile as they can be use in both portrait and landscape and or other situation where there are big to little difference between the exposure of the foreground to background, vice versa. And the versatility of GND is that you get loads of controls over the position of the density. And afaik GND only came in the square filter form, such as cokin.

At the end of the day, which one do you think that fits your photography style/genre better? For me the versatility and the control of the GND is all that I want.

Keep shooting ;)

Basically ND filter serve to lower the amount of light entering the lens to your sensor for a given period of time. So you can lenghten your shutter speed when taking a pic then it normally can.

A question... if you do not know what they do, why do you want to get them :dunno: just to look pro? Or pocket too deep?

My advise is for you to read up ND filter and Gradual ND filter, then see if you really really need them.

Oh... and you don't just go to the shop and ask, "I want an ND filter."... thing is... how many stops? If you don't even know that, then I would suggest that you really need to read up first before getting into filters. As to our price guide... yes, it is pretty old... and so, if you want the most current guide... sent email to the shops.

Last edited:
Some pictures I took as a quick visual guide

1) An example of an ND filter
2603838263_3da65c4ec1_z.jpg

Darkens the whole scene uniformly

2) Examples of GND filters
Left is a variant called a reverse Graduated ND filter
Right is the more common GND filter
2607821008_3a31d396a0_z.jpg

Darkens part of the scene in a graduated manner.

ND filters and GND filters serve various functions and are rather distinct in their own rights, and yet both much essential for a landscape photographer.

You can read up from the various helpful threads on filters used