full frame vs 7D and lens suggestions!

heshanj

Aug 18, 2009
Ho Chi Minh City
pixelogist.me
hi guys
still in process of upgrading my DSLR, still raising funds! haha. i was initially thinking of upgrading to a 7D + 17-55mm lens. however, lately ive been thinking instead of saving up a bit mroe and going full frame. the D600 has impressed me more than the 6D so i was thinking of going with that. im thinking its got a full frame sensor, it seems to take fantastic shots, and it'd be an upgrade even if i had the 7D now - so its the right choice for me, dont u agree?! haha

however, that brings on another dilemma of lens choice. looking at a standard mid-range zoom, for FX, there's the 24-70mm and the 24-120mm - both will be out of my budget when buying the camera now. i have two options for now: go for the 50mm f1.4, and use that for now (although i might miss a zoom lens, i feel) or get the 'kit' lens, the new 24-85mm.

have any of u guys used this lens? how does it perform? im looking for an upgrade to my current camera in all aspects, so i want a lens that'll definitely give better image quality than my current canon kit lens (18-55). reviews seem to be generally positive. so please give me any comments u have on this lens

and finally, wat do u think of my options:
7D + EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 OR
D600 + 24-85mm f3.5-4.5 OR
D600 + 50mm f1.4G ?

thanks for ur time! cheers

EDIT: and just for discussion, would the 24-120mm be a huge improvement over the 24-85mm? i thought so, but i just read a review (photozone) which gave it 2.5/5 for optics. not that impressive?!

Last edited:
I'd go for d600 and 50mm 1.4 anytime, the 1.4 really brings out the depth of field advantage in a fullframe. Ever since i put it on my D700 i can't take it off!

just get the fullframe. once u go ff u can never go back.

if it is just a hobby, just spend within your means.

it is a hobby, a very passionate one :D i agree with wat u say, but im thinking of trying to lift it up from hobby to something more.

go fullframe, im thinking about it for sure - but i need to know that i can afford a good lens right now as well, haha

If ur heart says FF and u know u will regret later if u get 7D, then save up a bit more to go for FF. But do rmb why u want FF in the first place. It may cost more, but doesnt mean it ia better in every aspect vs 7d or a cropped dslr.

to be honest, ive never used a fullframe anywhere - but ive heard many people consider fullframe cameras as something very special, and that once you start using fullframe, you'll realize the wonders of it etc etc. i can definitely appreciate that, so i thought since im upgrading now, and im not the type who upgrades more than once every few years, i might as well get something that'll last me a while

ive actually kinda decided on the D600 now. the only remaining issue is the lens choice! 24-85 any good? 24-85 vs 24-120?

ive actually kinda decided on the D600 now. the only remaining issue is the lens choice! 24-85 any good? 24-85 vs 24-120?

If it can shoot, why worry? If you are eyeing on the f2.8, consider Tamron 28-75 also...

well ive been waiting for a long while now to upgrade my system - and i want a lens that is a better performer than the current canon kit lens that im using now - so i want a lens that can do more than just shoot! i know it's also about the person behind the lens, of course - but i think i've got enough out of the kit lens and am ready to move on... thats why im trying to figure out if the 24-85 is something better than that, or is the 24-120 worth the money? i mentioned the review of the 24-120 on photozine, they werent too impressed with it. thats why im thinking maybe to go for the 50mm instead

to be honest, ive never used a fullframe anywhere - but ive heard many people consider fullframe cameras as something very special, and that once you start using fullframe, you'll realize the wonders of it etc etc. i can definitely appreciate that, so i thought since im upgrading now, and im not the type who upgrades more than once every few years, i might as well get something that'll last me a while

IMO, this is exactly the kind of 'air wear' that goes around and passes into legend.
Worse still when many folks using FF do take nice photos in the first place.
Then again, they would have taken nice photos on some other sensor format as well. ;)
Its like turning your back on all the nice photos you have taken and seen that have been taken on APS-C or even m4/3.

My advice,
1. Right tool for the right job - Shallow DOF can be nice. How little do you need? What about size/weight?
2. Spend within your means
3. Look at what you have before deciding - there will always be a better camera next year for one brand or another, it does not mean you need to 'jump ship' every year...

Ok, now the money spending part... :)
If I were to do it :
D600 : 24/2.8; 50/1.8; 85/1.8.

Reasons : Smallish (not really small by my standards); Cheap; Fast; Covers all FL's I commonly use.

Last edited:
great advice pinholecam! thanks :)

i think i can afford the D600 - but getting a zoom lens to go with it is something else. but u recommend getting primes (as do many people ) and im seriously thinking of doing just that. i like to have a zoom lens just to have that option to get reach, but when i think about it, i always seem to be using the wider end of my kit - around the 18mm to the 30mm range usually - so i think a 50mm would go fine just now, and a 28mm later on.

i notice u mention the 50 f1.8 - would the f1.4 be a better option?

i don't have advice on the lens cause I'm a canon user, but if you are on a tight budget, you might wanna consider trying out the lens at a camera shop, to get a feel, sharpness, etc., and then buy it 2nd-hand from the forum. It'll help your wallet. lol.

But do go do some research on how to check a 2nd-hand lens properly before u buy it so at least u can check it on the 2nd hand lens on the spot and not get 'conned' heh. in this way, you might be able to save up faster for more toys.

If you get something like a 24-120/4 VR for FF which is max F4, you will get roughly the same depth of field with 17-55 on 7D, with the same FOV.

and to answer your other questions, there are 3 versions of 24-86, namely AF-D 24-85, AF-S 24-85 and AF-S 24-85 VR. There are also 3 versions of 24-120: AF-D 24-120, 24-120VR and 24-120/4 VR. it really depends which version of each you are comparing.

For D600, also take a look at Tamron 28-75/2.8.

Last edited:
great advice pinholecam! thanks :)

i think i can afford the D600 - but getting a zoom lens to go with it is something else. but u recommend getting primes (as do many people ) and im seriously thinking of doing just that. i like to have a zoom lens just to have that option to get reach, but when i think about it, i always seem to be using the wider end of my kit - around the 18mm to the 30mm range usually - so i think a 50mm would go fine just now, and a 28mm later on.

i notice u mention the 50 f1.8 - would the f1.4 be a better option?

Good that you have it thought out.
Primes or zooms, depends on your needs and preference, I can't say outright that primes are better than zooms they have their pros and cons.
I mentioned all the f2.8 and f1.8 primes as they give a very good performance/size/value proposition, but thats just me.

I think Daredevil made a very good suggestion to look at Tamron 28-75/2.8 too.

thanks for the further replies! daredevil, i had not considered the tamron 28-75! that definitely looks interesting. i had seen the tamron 24-70 and that was a bit too expensive again. i'll be checking out the 28-75 soon!

sorry for the confusion about the nikon zooms. the 24-85mm i am referring to is the new one.. the AF-S VR version

the 24-120mm, i'm not really sure - there was only one on the Nikon website. its the AF-S 24-120mm f4 VR i think. but i didnt realize there were so many versions of this lens, maybe the review i read on photozine was another version

im definitely thinking of the prime-option too. also looking at the tamron

so to summarize my (many) questions:
1. is the AF-S 24-120mm f/4 VR worth the money? is it a really good performer? i was willing to spend this much on the canon 17-55 as i heard it was excellent. is this nikkor one a good performer too?

2. is the AF-S 24-85mm VR a good buy? better performance than an average 18-55mm kit lens? i'm upgrading from a kit lens, so i want it to be of better quality overall - no use cutting down on budget and getting a lens of the same build/optical quality as my kit lens!

that's it! haha. thanks guys!

thanks for the further replies! daredevil, i had not considered the tamron 28-75! that definitely looks interesting. i had seen the tamron 24-70 and that was a bit too expensive again. i'll be checking out the 28-75 soon!

sorry for the confusion about the nikon zooms. the 24-85mm i am referring to is the new one.. the AF-S VR version

the 24-120mm, i'm not really sure - there was only one on the Nikon website. its the AF-S 24-120mm f4 VR i think. but i didnt realize there were so many versions of this lens, maybe the review i read on photozine was another version

1. is the AF-S 24-120mm f/4 VR worth the money? is it a really good performer? i was willing to spend this much on the canon 17-55 as i heard it was excellent. is this nikkor one a good performer too?

2. is the AF-S 24-85mm VR a good buy? better performance than an average 18-55mm kit lens? i'm upgrading from a kit lens, so i want it to be of better quality overall - no use cutting down on budget and getting a lens of the same build/optical quality as my kit lens!

Tamron 28-75 is constant F2.8 and costs around 560 new with local warranty (3+2 years). Overall it gives excellent IQ but focusing hunts a little sometime and build is not as solid (but it is small and light!). You can see comparison shot of Nikon 24-70 vs Tamron 28-75 here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/sigma-tamron-tokina/1071351-tamrons-new-24-70mm-f2-8-vc-3.html#post7962119

24-120/4 VR I have no experience with but heard from friends that it performs well. But it is still ultimately a F4 lens.

I owned the 24-85 (AFS non VR) version before and I find it to be pretty good. There is some vignette at 24mm, but overall I find it to give good IQ. I heard the new VR version is slightly better too. Here are sample pics from the AFS non VR version.:

24mm wide open
5455787348_e17d2f14a7.jpg

See Larger

85mm wide open
5455174735_9d91056f33.jpg

See Larger

Last edited:
I have the 24-120 f4 VR lens. For me, its one of the best lens I own, most suited as a all-in-one lens for travel, portraiture etc, & one that put a stop to all thoughts for upgrades (at least till now) :) Other than the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, no other mid-range zoom lens comes close in IQ, speed, flexibility etc at least in my experience. I just love this lens :)

You can check out a review of the lens here Nikon 24-120mm VR Review Brand new, it may be stretch for your budget, you can try B&S which priced it around $1,200-1,350 preowned. I had 2 copies of the 24-85mm f3.3-4.5(without VR), which cost around $320-400, when I first started. I believe the latest VR version would be better, if not just as good. If you are on tight budget, this is also a good alternative for the intro into FX. You can complement it with primes when you are sure in the specifics of what you are shooting for later.

Cheers!

Last edited:
thanks for the help, daredevil and s1221 - ive got plenty to think about if im going with a zoom!

i was also thinking instead of going with a couple of primes to suit the focal lengths that i mainly use - 28mm and 50mm, i was thinking

the new 50mm f1.8G seems to be a real deal and i'll definitely be getting that

i was also thinking that the new 28mm f1.8G would be a good buy - however, i read a couple of reviews who claim the lens performs well overall but has a 'focus shift' issue. i have a fair idea of what this means but would this really be a deal-breaker? anyone use this lens and feel its not much of an issue?

thanks yet again!!

First.. you need to decide and come to a conclusion whether u want a FF or a crop sensor camera first.
1 of the major key factor i believe is budget. FF will or should cost alot more. Be it the camera body or the equivalent lenses.

Next you need to decide which camp u want to hop onto. Your first post..says 7D or D600. I believe you're referring to a Canon and a Nikon. Different brand has its pro n cons. And also do consider the lens availability, whether do they produce the lens you looking for.. price and performance.

thanks :) lets assume for ease of discussion that ive decided to go FF with nikon. now im trying to figure out a good first choice lens - first decide if to get a prime or two to start with, or go with a standard zoom to start with

again, just in case anyone didnt read my last question in the previous post, im curious about the 'focus shift' issue on the new 28mm f1.8G. is this a deal-breaker? any of u guys using this lens, have u noticed this to be an issue?