full frame or crop?

brosteady

Jul 31, 2009
Tampines
im curious as a paid photographer what kind of body do you prefer ? lets say you have a choice of d700 and d300 which will you pick?

As a professional, I would love to use the very best that I could afford.

If you are starting, semi pro camera is fine and as you grow, You will need to reinvest with the best gear.

As working pro, you will always have expansion plan for your equipment and everything else.

Hart

Use the best equipment you can afford; but not to the extend of neglecting your profit margin. Most important is to be able to cover your investments & costs and make money.

Use the best equipment you can afford; but not to the extend of neglecting your profit margin. Most important is to be able to cover your investments & costs and make money.

I subscribe to what snowspeeder commented too. Use the best you can afford and make sure you have enough assignments to cover the upgrade and provide a healthy profit margin.

But it also depends if you are a freelancer (photography is not a main source of income) or a professional (taking pictures is your profession)

im curious as a paid photographer what kind of body do you prefer ? lets say you have a choice of d700 and d300 which will you pick?

Full-Frame bcoz you'll never know when you'll be prompted by your clients on "I heard that Full-Frame Dlsr produce the best details in a pic" <--> some clients really know:bigeyes:about this issue ok, I'm talking serious, no jokes here! Believe it or not, it's up to individual! In fact, it true coz once I was prompted with "Do you use Full-Frame DSLR...(here the 'you' refers to one of 'my client' asked/chat while I was doing set-up...! My reply was my 5D went to CSC-Sensor-cleaning so using my 30D(as backup) and this was before and how I purchased my Nikon D3!! (of coz, not fetching in medium &/or big format cams here...):cool:

Thus, I'd suggest to you to go for Full-Frame (D700 as per your choice in this/your case...) if no financial constrain or similars.:) Furthemore, it saves you from alittle to alot of hassle that you may or may not face with while trying to sell your 'crop'-Dslr...:)

Hope by sharing some of my experiences with you help in your decision making and not forgetting those 'hassle' one may or not, come/face with it...;)

Last edited:
full frame... if u can spare the budget.....

as a paid photographer, what is important is delivery and client sastisfaction.

if the job requires me to use both, i would buy both bodies.

but to answer your question (for the sake of answering), i would choose d700.

alright guys thanks for the advice... i totally appreciate it ... i will do some weighing toward the tips you all provided me..

d700 of course..
d300 is kinda limited especially on the wide fast glass as everything is cropped.
anyway the price of 2nd hand d700 is very very affordable these days.

Full-Frame bcoz you'll never know when you'll be prompted by your clients on "I heard that Full-Frame Dlsr produce the best details in a pic" <--> some clients really know:bigeyes:about this issue ok, I'm talking serious, no jokes here! Believe it or not, it's up to individual! In fact, it true coz once I was prompted with "Do you use Full-Frame DSLR...(here the 'you' refers to one of 'my client' asked/chat while I was doing set-up...! My reply was my 5D went to CSC-Sensor-cleaning so using my 30D(as backup) and this was before and how I purchased my Nikon D3!! (of coz, not fetching in medium &/or big format cams here...):cool:

Could ask the client if the they have any concern on full frame vs crop, hear them out. Educate them if need be, show them your master piece. May be they like your work, the client can come to understand that photos are not all about bokeh ;)

Last edited:
Could ask the client if the they have any concern on full frame vs crop, hear them out. Educate them if need be, show them your master piece. May be they like your work, the client can come to understand that photos are not all about bokeh

Precisely, that's right and I've:complain:"educated" her:bsmilie:(no-lah-not that serious lah...or else...I'd be the one:cry:in the end...hahaha!!!), (one of my rather regular client, hence really have to be very 'tactful' as not to create/stir-up any sense of 'unhappiness'...:sweat:) Of cause and she did a comparison(as I'd told her to do so when I delivered the pics+slides of coz. Well, from her face can 'read' that she seemed pleased with "full-frame and crop" after comparing with my past projects with her(anyway, I'm not worry when she was do the comparision, as I got the confidence of my deliverance...haha):cool:

Glad that your client don't know that sensor cleaning in CSC don't usual take more than a few hours. ;)

Worse still, client got blower let you clean on the spot, no more excuses

Glad that your client don't know that sensor cleaning in CSC don't usual take more than a few hours. ;)

Yes Anson, tell you lah...as I was too quick for that 'fast answer' to 'her' and that was indeed 'a close shaved' ok...:sweat::sweat:

anyway i felt regarding both after PP-ed and stuff about the same but since yr going for weddings, events, etc get a full frame --> better IQ ;)

If you are doing a commercial assignment like magazine cover, you will not even consider a full frame.

However, for events, weddings, etc, you will not go wrong with full frame.