Full Frame DSLR option: Pentax lens with Canon bodies

ElectricBlue

Jan 10, 2010
Hi All,

I recently got hold of a pentax K-mount to EOS mount adaptor with AF confirmation.

With this, would it be possible to mount pentax lenses onto canon bodies without further modifications? Thinking of mounting FA limiteds and A 50mm lens onto a FF body i.e. 5D Mk II. Over in pentax forums, there's a post of someone modifying a 1D to do so because of the aperture lever (don't really understand this part).

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/...-full-frame-digital-slr-camera-well-sort.html

Would like to know if there's a way to do so without permanently modifying the lens or the body, so I can try it out by borrowing or renting a 5D Mk II. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers

Hi All,

I recently got hold of a pentax K-mount to EOS mount adaptor with AF confirmation.

With this, would it be possible to mount pentax lenses onto canon bodies without further modifications? Thinking of mounting FA limiteds and A 50mm lens onto a FF body i.e. 5D Mk II. Over in pentax forums, there's a post of someone modifying a 1D to do so because of the aperture lever (don't really understand this part).

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/...-full-frame-digital-slr-camera-well-sort.html

Would like to know if there's a way to do so without permanently modifying the lens or the body, so I can try it out by borrowing or renting a 5D Mk II. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers

Those canon users even cut the aperture lever of pentax lenses, so they won't hit the mirror. :nono:

Those canon users even cut the aperture lever of pentax lenses, so they won't hit the mirror. :nono:

i've seen worse :sweat: SMC-A 50mm f1.2 with the aperture lever cut AND modded to canon mount... :bheart:

philistines :sticktong

If AnthonyLee sees this thread, he is the best guy to give you more info as he is using Pentax lenses on a 5D.
You can try to PM him as well.

My personal opinion is that its not worth the effort and inconvenience. You don't get auto aperture, loose Pentax colors and need to modify the lenses to take away the aperture lever (else you need to do the daring modification as the PF guy using a Demrel tool; which is why he used an unwanted D1 ).
All this for less DOF, which can be both a good and bad thing depending on what you shoot.
Eg. Macro and birds, more DOF is better, so an APS-C sensor camera is better;
Shallow DOF shots and "subjective" bokeh, arguable FF is better

Just shoot film if you want Pentax FF for now. :)
If you need more DOF control and good quality, get a cheap MF film camera. A 6x6 TLR can be had for peanuts ($100-$400) and the defunked Bronica system which used to cost thousands is selling for a few hundred bucks (probably $1K can get you a ETRSi with 2 lenses).

Save those hassles. If you want to go into FF, just buy Canon or Nikon FF DSLR and their lenses like some of the bro's here did.

I bought a Pentax ZP-1 film test 77mm on it one with flash one with ambient, unfortunately I can't post here because my 1 decade acer laptop cannot read the burned disc....

If AnthonyLee sees this thread, he is the best guy to give you more info as he is using Pentax lenses on a 5D.
You can try to PM him as well.

My personal opinion is that its not worth the effort and inconvenience. You don't get auto aperture, loose Pentax colors and need to modify the lenses to take away the aperture lever (else you need to do the daring modification as the PF guy using a Demrel tool; which is why he used an unwanted D1 ).
All this for less DOF, which can be both a good and bad thing depending on what you shoot.
Eg. Macro and birds, more DOF is better, so an APS-C sensor camera is better;
Shallow DOF shots and "subjective" bokeh, arguable FF is better

Just shoot film if you want Pentax FF for now. :)
If you need more DOF control and good quality, get a cheap MF film camera. A 6x6 TLR can be had for peanuts ($100-$400) and the defunked Bronica system which used to cost thousands is selling for a few hundred bucks (probably $1K can get you a ETRSi with 2 lenses).

Thanks for your advice. I am using ZX-L and ZX-5 for Pentax FF currently, but miss the immediate viewing and uploading available with digital cameras. Also, the viewfinders for these old film cameras are not 100% coverage and the magnification is much lower than 1x. FF for me is more for the different effective focal length achievable, especially for wide angle shots.

So the K-EOS adaptor would only be useful for lenses without aperture ring such as DA lenses and DFA 100 WR? I got it with a lensbaby system, so I guess it would work with that as well. Maybe in a few years when 5D MK II becomes cheap second hand due to new version coming out, will get one and operate on it (no way I'm modifying my pentax lenses ever)

Thanks for your advice. I am using ZX-L and ZX-5 for Pentax FF currently, but miss the immediate viewing and uploading available with digital cameras. Also, the viewfinders for these old film cameras are not 100% coverage and the magnification is much lower than 1x. FF for me is more for the different effective focal length achievable, especially for wide angle shots.

So the K-EOS adaptor would only be useful for lenses without aperture ring such as DA lenses and DFA 100 WR? I got it with a lensbaby system, so I guess it would work with that as well. Maybe in a few years when 5D MK II becomes cheap second hand due to new version coming out, will get one and operate on it (no way I'm modifying my pentax lenses ever)

You can put on the 1.2x eyepiece for the film cameras. Don't really need it if you are using AF lenses on the ZX-L and ZX-5. Yeah, no 100% viewfinder, if that is critical to your use.
For fear of exposure problems, one way is to use a compact cam as a previewer like what ppl did with polaroids in the old days.
I've always found the metering on my MZ-50 and MZ-5n to be accurate in most situations, using spot metering to gauge exposure at different spots or by blindly keying in exposure compensation based on the scene (lots of white : +1; Black : -1);
Of course its never as convenient as digital :)
(In fact, when I switched to digital; I said to myself that I won't look back :bsmilie: )

If I am not wrong, the DA lenses are the ones to avoid on the adapter mounted 5D. There will be no control over the aperture level at all. The lenses with the aperture ring allow the aperture to be controlled independent from the camera.

Maybe you can consider Sony A850 if you don't need high ISO?

Thanks for your advice, pinholecam. The 1.2x eyepiece you're refering to is the O-ME53 Magnifying Eyecup? I just purchased one from a forum member, but wasn't too sure that it could be mounted onto film cameras. Now need to decide which camera to mount on, K-x, ZX-L, ZX-5 or hopefully a future silver K-5 :)

In that case, exactly what kind of lenses can I mount on a canon camera using the adaptor, other than the lensbaby? A bit confused here, since other members say that the aperture lever has to be cut for FA and A lenses (which I will never do). Thanks for the advice on going FF, but I would much rather stick with Pentax and their lovely primes.

Last edited:
In that case, exactly what kind of lenses can I mount on a canon camera using the adaptor, other than the lensbaby? A bit confused here, since other members say that the aperture lever has to be cut for FA and A lenses (which I will never do). Thanks for the advice on going FF, but I would much rather stick with Pentax and their lovely primes.

http://www.panoramaplanet.de/comp/
It's for 5D, not 5Dmk2

Thanks for your advice, pinholecam. The 1.2x eyepiece you're refering to is the O-ME53 Magnifying Eyecup? I just purchased one from a forum member, but wasn't too sure that it could be mounted onto film cameras. Now need to decide which camera to mount on, K-x, ZX-L, ZX-5 or hopefully a future silver K-5 :)

Yes, its the O-ME53. Certainly works on the Mz-5n. Its easily removable, so you can use it on the camera that you use for that day.

Many ppl use Takumars on the Canon cameras. I guess its because they are reputed to be very good, cheap, and fully manual anyway (no aperture lever).
The modification on most Pentax K mount lenses are not that bad actually. You don't need to cut off the lever. What is needed is to unscrew the rear mount and remove the lever. Its totally reversible so long as you remember to keep the lever :bsmilie:
AnthonyLee is the guy to PM for the details, as he's the one using this setup.

Hi,

Someone mentioned my name. Yes, I am using 2 Pentax K lenses, the 35f2 and the 135f2.5 on my Canon 5D and they are wonderful. Actually, the Pentax lenses render beautifully on the older Canon models like the 40D and 5D. The K 135f2.5 is one of my key portrait lenses as 135mm is just a beautiful focal length on FF. The lenses can be modified by removing the aperture levers and put back if necessary. Cost is approximately S$30.00 for each modification and another S$30 to put it back. I have experience with only K lenses so I am not sure of A and M.

Like many here have suggested, if you like Pentax lenses, get a K5 and your problem is solved. I am dragging my feet because I have too many manual focus lenses and most cannot be used on Pentax cameras without some drastic modification, especially my whole fleet of OM lenses.

Pentax K 135f2.5 shot on EOS5D, not too bad, really love the color rendition. Actually prefer this to the Canon 135f2L.

5080535272_cd8470534c_b.jpg

Last edited: