Fuk Tak Chi Museum...

Status
Not open for further replies.

feimao07

Jan 13, 2004
Evon's Heart
jason.tehpeng.com
Built by Chinese immigrants to Singapore as thanksgiving for a safe voyage to their new home, the Fuk Tak Chi Museum on Telok Ayer Street is a fascinating place to learn about the immigrants' past of Singapore.

In the days when Chinese immigrants settled here, Telok Ayer Street ran along the shoreline of a bay (the name Telok Ayer, meaning “water bay” or “watery bay” in Malay) that has long since been reclaimed from the sea. The area was where many Hakka and Cantonese immigrants settled as it was also the area where a lot of coolie agents had their offices.

The Museum was originally a temple, built over the years from 1824 onwards, and dedicated to the God Tua Pek Kong. Inside today you’ll see an interesting array of exhibits telling of the lives of the people who settled here, while outside onteh streets around Far East Square and Pekin Street you can still see the shophouses that where lived in by the very same immigrants.

Today the shophouses are home to restaurants, bars and offices, but they still maintain a charm of yesteryear.

*quoted from http://www.realdestination.com

DSC_9007_2.jpg

DSC_9009_2.jpg

DSC_9010_2.jpg

DSC_9017_2.jpg

DSC_9012_2.jpg

Interesting photos. May I know whether you use flash? Cos the place usually quite dark unlike that in your photos. Inspired by you, will try one of these days during lunchtime...

Interesting photos. May I know whether you use flash? Cos the place usually quite dark unlike that in your photos. Inspired by you, will try one of these days during lunchtime...

yup yup...the place quite dark...i was there ard 5pm++...sun shinin' thru' frm the main door...all shots at iso 400, f/2, EV+0.7...no flash... :D

Very nice story-telling here bro...excellent series! :)

I have a 35/2 also... shall we go on a 35mm outing? Can learn from ya! :thumbsup:

Very nice story-telling here bro...excellent series! :)

I have a 35/2 also... shall we go on a 35mm outing? Can learn from ya! :thumbsup:

thx bro...ohhh...cool...carl-zeiss? :thumbsup:

sure bro...can learn more street-photography frm u...shootin' pple (the eye-contact) n seein' things in 3:1... ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.