Fuji's new SuperCCD cameras (including the S2 Pro!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

YSLee

Jan 17, 2002
Visit site
The S2 Pro is based on the F80, with a SIX megapixel CCD that interpolates to TWELVE megapixels (as usual, I think it's a dumb trick that eats more space on your CF card). Focal length multiplier is still the same 1.5x though. The 6900 and 6800 succesor's are announced as well (but the 6900 succesor is ugly).

More info at your usual sites:

http://www.dpreview.com
http://www.imaging-resource.com
http:/www.dcresource.com

Hurray! :rbounce:

Lets hope that the picture is noise free and the price is reasonable. Then it might just be the DLSR I've been waiting for! :rbounce: :rbounce: :rbounce:

Originally posted by ziploc
Hurray! :rbounce:

Lets hope that the picture is noise free and the price is reasonable. Then it might just be the DLSR I've been waiting for! :rbounce: :rbounce: :rbounce:

YEAH !!! BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !BUY !

Originally posted by YSLee
The S2 Pro is based on the F80, with a SIX megapixel CCD that interpolates to TWELVE megapixels (as usual, I think it's a dumb trick that eats more space on your CF card). Focal length multiplier is still the same 1.5x though. The 6900 and 6800 succesor's are announced as well (but the 6900 succesor is ugly).

More info at your usual sites:

http://www.dpreview.com
http://www.imaging-resource.com
http:/www.dcresource.com

Wow! Finally! Hope the price will be good. :)

Regards
CK

Haha megaweb, it's not available till July :)

I am sure Nikon will have something better under their sleeves, since they allow fujifilm to use their f80 body... maybe Nikon will have a DSLR that's based on the f100? :rbounce:

I am sure Nikon will have something better under their sleeves, since they allow fujifilm to use their f80 body... maybe Nikon will have a DSLR that's based on the f100? :rbounce:

That will be really cool. But wonder about the price.....

Sure looks good though, much better than the F60-based S1Pro.

Regards
CK

Price is pegged at around the S1 Pro price level. Which is unsurprising given the existing digital trends (as in more or less the same price but better features, D1 and D1x/h).

It does look better than the S1 Pro on specs, but I wouldn't go over the moon. For starters, the S1 Pro was excellent on paper as well but was blighted by serious noise issues at anything other than it's lowest ISO rating.

Nikon already have a dig based on the F100. In fact they have three. The D1, D1x and D1h. About the only thing I can currently think of that the D1 series borrows from the F5 is the colour matrix meter. Aside from that, the body, layout, focusing, viewfinder, etc are all F100.

Nor would I jumpt up and down :rbounce: about the pixel count. It will be an attractively priced true six megapixel camera, but I really wouldn't even think about the 12 million. Fuji's interpolation isn't anywhere as good as it sounds (I know this is a new rigmarole, but...) because the S1 Pro is SERIOUSLY deficient to the slightly interpolated 6mp of the D1x. FWIW, the D1x is already actually able to hit 10mp if you shoot raw, with a 4000x2600 approx pixel count, by using all the horizontal resolution rather than downsizing it. It works fairly well, but 6mp is really enough for most apps, and for those that it is not, interpolating isn't the solution.

The way I look at it, the S2 does look to be at about the same level to the D1x as the S1 was to the D1. As in, slightly more pixels, slightly cheaper (D1x bodies are going for US$4300 in the US now) but on a smaller less capable and durable platform.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, until I'm blue in the face if necessary. I couldn't be happier with a 1.5x multiplier. Considering how many on this forum are chucking their cameras to get something with a 10x optical zoom you can see where I'm coming from. Not to mention that a 14mm and 300/2.8 costs about half and weighs about half of what a 20mm and 400/2.8 would cost and weigh. The extreme wide angle end can be solved by ultimately making lenses that will only cover the digital ccd. Aside from the increased chip size helping with light gathering capabilities (which at present are already good enough to sustain a 1.5x form factor), there are few reasons to adopt a bigger chip size. The drawbacks are plenty -- cost (of the chip, not even taking the lenses into account), a limited dynamic range scale means you will have problems at the low end of the ISO scale (hence the EOS1D cannot shoot normally at ISO 100 and the S1 Pro below 320.) Which for professional use has more implications than the average joe in the street would understand.

I didn't know a 14mm is cheaper than a 20mm! Did you make a typo?

No, I said 'and'. You may save $1000 buying a 20mm lens instead of a 14mm lens, and maybe save 200g. But you'll also save $7000 buying a 300mm instead of a 400mm. And save about 2kg in weight. I know which combination my wallet and back would prefer. Or consider a 300/2.8. Out of reach of many amateurs. Well an 80-200 many do own, costs $5000 or so less, and weighs 1kg less. More than enough to buy a 14mm to top up the wide end.

Sounds good, except not everyone has that kind of finances? Take me for instance.. a 14mm f/2.8 Nikkor is like way out of my reach now. In fact, I'm looking at a 2nd hand MF 20mm instead (and it's a f/3.5 version, not the faster and more expensive f/2.8 one).

* shrugs *

BTW, the blue in the face thing wasn't personal, and if you saw it that way, I am truly sorry.

Haha megaweb, it's not available till July :)

nevermind ...can wait mah ... if more camera vendors launch new D SLR ... price will drop more

I'm guessing why Moose Peterson, after proclaiming the wonders of the F5, switched to the D1X - the multiplier. :) Essential for a wildlife photographer.

Originally posted by erwinx
I'm guessing why Moose Peterson, after proclaiming the wonders of the F5, switched to the D1X - the multiplier. :) Essential for a wildlife photographer.

Yeah, free 1.5x teleconvertor without the reduction in f-stop.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by erwinx

apparently he digs the EOS 1D with its 1.3x multiplier as well :)

http://www.nikondigital.org/reviews/1d/canon_1d_review.htm

Go NIKON!!! yayyayyyyy ..... even tho its sold as a Fuji.... :D

My opinion is that Nikon may not go after this market with their own "budget" digi-SLR now that Fuji has the S2... just my observation. Nikon most probably will be focusing on improving the next D1 variant to match the EOS1D.

Originally posted by Darren
Go NIKON!!! yayyayyyyy ..... even tho its sold as a Fuji.... :D

My opinion is that Nikon may not go after this market with their own "budget" digi-SLR now that Fuji has the S2... just my observation. Nikon most probably will be focusing on improving the next D1 variant to match the EOS1D.

Yes! Nikon is the way to go! :)

Regards
CK

Jed , I may disagree with you in the "interpolation" thing. I have used a Fuji 6900 b4 (I love it) and find that even with a interpolation, the pic look VERY ok as compared to what software can do. Yes, it may not be that perfect but it is def better.

One thing to note is that Fuji produce very good colours....

Yes, the colours out of the camera are the best of that generation, and still among the best today. And you're entitled to your opinion about the interpolation, but at the end of the day there are only x number of pixels in the image, hexagonal or not. This may make it smoother to interpolate, but generates zero extra detail. It could well be that the hex shaped pixels allow the camera to handle the detail well, but I've no problems with conventional shaped pixels and Altamira GF, or Photoshop Bicubic, or at times the various options in Qimage if I really need to upsize an image. 6mp is enough for a LOT of applications, and I agree that 12mp is in general, a space filler more than anything as YSLee has pointed out. Personally, my comfort zone for daily shooting, pro work included, is around 8mp of (real, not RGB, if possible) pixels. Storing more info than that will start to get very cumbersome and slow without putting a lot of real gain into the equation.

That said, I applaud Fuji for putting a 6mp chip at that price point, it will be very good value.

Status
Not open for further replies.