Fujifilm XF1 - the new Fuji compact!

heshanj

Aug 18, 2009
Ho Chi Minh City
pixelogist.me
i just saw this posted up and i dont see it on the Fujifilm forum here, so here goes:

Fujifilm XF1 hands-on preview: Digital Photography Review

any thoughts? i, for one, think its pretty slick! i love the manual zoom ring and power-on system, as i did on the X10. the looks are interesting, and i like it. but i cant think of changing my RX100 for this, not for a lens with that speed and a sensor half the size. the body is just a tad bigger than the RX100 too

all in all, pretty impressive, especially at $500, which will be the key point when deciding between this and the Sony RX100...

and there seems to be a great selection of compacts out for any enthusiast looking for a high end compact these days!

Last edited:
heshanj said:
i just saw this posted up and i dont see it on the Fujifilm forum here, so here goes:

Fujifilm XF1 hands-on preview: Digital Photography Review

any thoughts? i, for one, think its pretty slick! i love the manual zoom ring and power-on system, as i did on the X10. the looks are interesting, and i like it. but i cant think of changing my RX100 for this, not for a lens with that speed and a sensor half the size. the body is just a tad bigger than the RX100 too

all in all, pretty impressive, especially at $500, which will be the key point when deciding between this and the Sony RX100...

and there seems to be a great selection of compacts out for any enthusiast looking for a high end compact these days!

Definitely interested to see the final pricing.

This camera is so beautiful I want to post a picture of it here. I am interested in the mechanical zoom.

fujifilm-xf1.jpg

So should I get this or the RX-100? Any advice?

Last edited:
It looks great and the slim form factor is just enticing! USD$500 is the suggested RRP so I'm guessing it'll probably be around $700-$800 over here? Hope it's not too high certainly!

However, I'm not sold on the mechanical zoom to be honest. It's supposed to be a small, compact, point-and-shoot camera and I like to be able to shoot photos with it using one hand. Having to use the other hand to zoom seems to over-complicate what is supposed to be a simple camera concept.

Might still get one just to see if I can adapt to it :)

This camera is so beautiful I want to post a picture of it here. I am interested in the mechanical zoom.

fujifilm-xf1.jpg

So should I get this or the RX-100? Any advice?

i have the RX100 and its wonderful. however, the only thing i wish that it had was this mechanical zoom. i have used mechanical zoom on a compact before, the Fuji X10 and that worked like a dream.

the control ring on the RX100 looks impressive but in reality its rather useless. they shoudlve made it a dedicated aperture ring (with clicks) or something

i cant say about the image quality, but i think its gonna be hard to beat the RX100 with that 1" sensor...this one has the same 2/3" sensor found on the X10 (hopefully without any flaws this time around!)

i have the RX100 and its wonderful. however, the only thing i wish that it had was this mechanical zoom. i have used mechanical zoom on a compact before, the Fuji X10 and that worked like a dream.

the control ring on the RX100 looks impressive but in reality its rather useless. they shoudlve made it a dedicated aperture ring (with clicks) or something

i cant say about the image quality, but i think its gonna be hard to beat the RX100 with that 1" sensor...this one has the same 2/3" sensor found on the X10 (hopefully without any flaws this time around!)

I have briefly looked at the image quality of the RX-100 and was very impressed. Heard some. Negative comments about the lens though.
I have been using the S95 for the last few years, very happy with it. But not impressed with the newer iterations S100 and S110. The game has moved on but Canon is stucked. I would be happy enough if the XF-1 is midway between the S95 and RX-100.

I have briefly looked at the image quality of the RX-100 and was very impressed. Heard some. Negative comments about the lens though.
I have been using the S95 for the last few years, very happy with it. But not impressed with the newer iterations S100 and S110. The game has moved on but Canon is stucked. I would be happy enough if the XF-1 is midway between the S95 and RX-100.

i'd say the XF1 looks to be just that, between the S95 (or S100) and the RX100.

i was thinking of getting the x10 but recently heard about xf-1.
xf-1 looks really good. will wait for it and compare both.

just to share a preview by CameraStore :)

[video=youtube;kBOq8Aq8CD8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBOq8Aq8CD8[/video]

as long as it has no 'white orb' issue or any problem of that kind, definitely go for the XF1 over the X10, i'd say. same sensor, meaning same quality hopefully - and so much more compact, and truly pocketable

Anyone knows if this is available at the shops yet? Thanks.

Anyone knows if this is available at the shops yet? Thanks.

Just got a response from Fujifilm Singapore and the RRP is $699. It should be available end of this week or early next week.

Just got a response from Fujifilm Singapore and the RRP is $699. It should be available end of this week or early next week.

Thank you very much!

Called Fujifilm two days ago and was told the launch date is 1st Nov, Thursday.

RRP: $699

Available tomorrow. MS Color quoted $599 inclusive of GST :)