Fujifilm Superia Xtra 800 - not as Vibrant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danster

Oct 12, 2003
Got my first batch of photos back from KT shot with the above film. Grain's ok but I somehow feel the photos lack the vibrancy, vividness and "punch" as those shot with the Superia Xtra 400s. Was expecting this (ie less vibrancy for faster film) but didn't expect the results to be so different as to be noticeable.

Wonder if it's just me or if anyone else has had the chance to compare?

I've used both films but still cannot comment much on the colour difference. I guess it depends very much on the subject being shot...but then again it doesn't really correlate since I find those shot on Superia Xtra 400, 800 and 1600 pretty much the same...

Personally I find the saturation of Superia 800 pretty good even when rated at 800. Just be sure to meter correctly and not underexpose.

If in doubt just expose for the shadows.

Its usually a good idea to rate it at 640 or even 500. It can look quite flat when shot straight at 800, especially in low light.[/QUOTE]

I rated it at 800. Would it not defeat the purpose of using fast film if you rate it at 500 or 640? Maybe I'll try another roll this week and see how it goes?

Status
Not open for further replies.