Fujifilm S5000 vs Canon S1 IS vs Panasonic FZ10

Status
Not open for further replies.

freezy1977

May 31, 2004
Loyang
Greetings gurus,

I'm interested in getting an ultrazoom digital camera. The few options that I've had are:

1) Fujifilm S5000 (value for money, however it lacks image stabilizer, hot shoe and uses expensive XD picture cards and has small LCD screen)

2) Canon S1 IS (slightly more expensive than S5000, but comes with image stabilizer and uses cheaper CF cards, but lacks hot shoe, illuminator assist and small LCD screen. Also it does not look pro or SLR-like when compare to S5000)

3) Panasonic FZ10 (the most expensive, but comes with 4megapixel and 12x zoom when the former two comes with 3.2megapixel and 10x zoom. However, FZ10 uses proprietery battery which is expensive as compared to the AA batteries used in the former two. Also, FZ10 uses expensive SD cards. One thing good is that it inculdes a hot shoe and large LCD screen)

Prices:
1) Fujifilm S5000 costs around $600 (3.2megapixel, 10x zooom, 16mb XD)
2) Canon S1 costs around $800 (3.2megapixel, 10x zoom, 32mb CF, currenly canon has a promo which includes free 256mb CF and big tripod, but promo ends 31may2004 as told by the resellers)
3) Panasonic FZ10 costs around $1000 (4megapixel, 12x zoom, 16mb XD)

Specs aside, I think word-of-mouth is very important, especially from users themselves. I'm a user of Fujifilm digital cameras and I'm satisfied with their outputs. Not sure with the other two brands, so I need the help of you guys out there to give me your valuable comments and advises as to which one is a better buy and value for money.

My concern is does image stabilzer that helpful and necessary and must-have for ultrazoom? Does image stabilizer compensates for user shaky hands motion when taking pictures?

if u expect alot of outdoors, the FZ10 seems 2 big 2 mi cos of the big glass lens. u'll need alot of protection.

if u need to do more indoor shoot which requires hotshoe then FZ10 might b a good choice.

the canon 1 seems to have the best of both S5000 n FZ10, long zoom + IS. however paying 900++ (retail price) for a 3.2 mega pix camera is not worth it.

the fuji is cheapest but w/o the IS n hotshoe.

so the last decision lies on u :)

i own a S5000 myslf.

pisces25 said:
i own a S5000 myslf.

I use S5000 too :thumbsup:

Here's my personal pros and cons
pros:
comes with free lens adapter. Just leave it on all the time, besides protecting your protruding lens, it will also make the camera look more pro :lovegrin:

Produce sharp pics and nice colours

use AA bateries, therefore versatile and cost efficient, no need expensive proprietary battery.

Cons:
slow start up

uses xd (more expensive than other type of cards)

Difficult to manual focus

maximum shutter speed of 2s :thumbsd: (my biggest irritation)

All in all, fuji could design s5000 better. But it still works for me so far :lovegrin:

Hope that helps ;)

I've always been a big fan of image stablizer, hence I would consider only the Canon and the Panasonic. From my past experience, having IS (or AS or OIS) is invaluable under lower light and high focal lengths. So these mega-zoom cameras will surely benefit from IS. Coupled with the fact that these cameras have small 1/2.5 or 1/2.7 sensors, you have to avoid the higher ISOs to keep noise low, and IS becomes even more important.

Of these 2, I favour the Panasonic, at least on paper. IMHO, 4MP is about the minimum you should get if you are going to be printing anything around 8R or bigger. But that's just me. People have been satisfied by 3MP too, so your mileage may vary. Yes, resolution is not everything, but in this case, the 2 sensors are about equal ( 1/2.7, 3.2MP sensor on the Canon vs 1/2.5, 4MP on the Panasonic ), so the extra resolution is a bonus. It also takes an external flash. But it uses SD instead of CF, so this is a concern if you have another body that takes CF. On the bright side, prices of SD is falling anyway.

After all is said and done, its the final image that matters most. You should just go download sample images from both cameras and examine them. I've not done so, so you should do it and come to your own conclusion.

Pensonally, i don't either of these but I would go for the Canon although I would not mind the Fuji. The IS is great to have at such focal lenghts. The Fuji would be a let down due to its limitation on its shutter speed. I do caution against the Panasonic though, so far I have not been hearing good comments about the brand. Its not the optics or the build. I think they look and feel great when held. But the problem that most people seem to have with panasonic cameras is the focusing :nono: . It seems everyone owning a panasonic is complaining about the slow focusing during the day and terrible focusing during low light. Pictures are not sharp despite the OIS not due to handshake but sensor focusing problems.. :think:

4mp would be great to have but I think the Canon IS compensates for this.

tbteng said:
But the problem that most people seem to have with panasonic cameras is the focusing :nono: . It seems everyone owning a panasonic is complaining about the slow focusing during the day and terrible focusing during low light. Pictures are not sharp despite the OIS not due to handshake but sensor focusing problems.. :think:

Most? Everyone? I don't think every FZ10 users is complaining in this forum or in dpreview. A handful of person does not constitute "most", much less "everyone". :nono: Similarly, Canon S1 and Fuji S5000 have their own share of detractors too, but I would not call them "most".

Thanks guys for all the feedback :)

I think I know what to get already...
S5000 has a great body
S1 has good focusing
FZ10 has good zoom capability and 4mp quality

For my needs, which is taking distant object (landscape, nature) and be it in the daytime or nighttime, I think S1 best suits my needs because of the image stabilizer function.

But sadly, Canon had a promo for S1 which ended on 31may, where you can get a FREE 256mb CF card. Think I have to wait for the PC show on 3june to see if Canon has similar or better offers :D

Do I need to get UV or polarize filters to protect the camera lens? Is it a must have item? Canon S1 does not come with lens hood/adaptor, have to purchase separately at the RRP of $59.See here

freezy1977 said:
For my needs, which is taking distant object (landscape, nature) and be it in the daytime or nighttime, I think S5000 best suits my needs because of the image stabilizer function.

S5000 does not have image stabilizer.

sorry, typo mistake, i mean S1 :D

IS only helps under marginal situations. When conditions are bad enough, nothing helps like a tripod. My previous FZ1 had very very bad indoor low light focusing problem, sometimes even outdoor. And I was forced to use ISO50 always to avoid the exceptionally high noise. 100 was not too good and 200 above was unuseable! Not sure whether FZ10 has overcome all these problems...

Convoy said:
Most? Everyone? I don't think every FZ10 users is complaining in this forum or in dpreview. A handful of person does not constitute "most", much less "everyone". :nono: Similarly, Canon S1 and Fuji S5000 have their own share of detractors too, but I would not call them "most".

Well I did indicate that it "seemed". And it seemed that those that I have heard were not very good comments. I did here some good comments but there were not on the focusing. I hope some Panasonic users can come in
to enlighten the whole lot.

I have heard much more good comments regarding FZ10's picture quality and sharpness than bad comments. There were a few complaints on FZ10's focusing during the initial batch, but the problem seems to be fixed in subsequent batches.

As for its low light focusing capability, I'm not sure whether S1's focusing system is the same between A70's, but my FZ10 is able to focus on the objects which my friend's A70 cannot. However, do not expect FZ10's low light focusing to be more than average as it has no AF illuminator. For similar reason, I have heard S1 has very poor focusing in low-light condition too. I think S5000 is the best among the three in this case.

Convoy said:
...I think S5000 is the best among the three in this case.

This is true. S5000 rarely fail in focusing whether the AF illuminator lights up or not. And also the 5fps burst mode is really useful. Of course you can only do that outdoor during day time.

Offers from Fujifilm at the PC Show.

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

I've finally got the S5000 after days of 'thinking'... its really difficult to decide between S5000 and S1. I chose S5000 because of its prosumer look and the positive reviews I gathered from online forums and reviews. This is my second Fujifilm camera, the first being FinePix 40i (2mp), which cost me $1k then. I'm giving away 40i to my sister ;) (that makes me less guilty of pampering myself of buying a new digicam :D)

I bought for $699 at the PC show, which comes with everythng you see above in the brochure + SANYO rechargeable batt with charger. I can even pay with credit card without extra charges... can earn points too :D

I've checked with MS and CP, they don't have stocks. I checked with AP, and a lady quote me $580 w GST, and $70 for 128mb XD card. Costing altogether for $650 for body, 128mb and original cam case.

The additonal $49 I paid for a backpack, batt/charger, BIG tripod seems reasonable and I got to use credit card also.

Now, I going to buy a UV 55mm filter to protect the lens. Any recommendations as to which brand and place to buy? Hoya or B&W or others?

freezy1977 said:
I've finally got the S5000 after days of 'thinking'... its really difficult to decide between S5000 and S1. I chose S5000 because of its prosumer look and the positive reviews I gathered from online forums and reviews. This is my second Fujifilm camera, the first being FinePix 40i (2mp), which cost me $1k then. I'm giving away 40i to my sister ;) (that makes me less guilty of pampering myself of buying a new digicam :D)

I bought for $699 at the PC show, which comes with everythng you see above in the brochure + SANYO rechargeable batt with charger. I can even pay with credit card without extra charges... can earn points too :D

I've checked with MS and CP, they don't have stocks. I checked with AP, and a lady quote me $580 w GST, and $70 for 128mb XD card. Costing altogether for $650 for body, 128mb and original cam case.

The additonal $49 I paid for a backpack, batt/charger, BIG tripod seems reasonable and I got to use credit card also.

Now, I going to buy a UV 55mm filter to protect the lens. Any recommendations as to which brand and place to buy? Hoya or B&W or others?

welcome to the S5000 club ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.