Fujifilm S3 Pro Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

snappez

Aug 8, 2002
Visit site
Hi all,

Need some help in making a decision. I intend to get S3 pro but is still a little hesitant partly because of the price tag but mostly because I'm still an amatuer photographer homing my skill. Appreciate if experts out there could give me feedback about s3 pro and is it a worth while investment for a learner like me. Best if anyone could tell me about the battery life when using s3 pro with normal alkaline and 25oomah NiMH rechargable batt cos my friend say that s3 pro burn up batt like nobody business. Thanks a million! :cool:

snappez said:
I'm still an amatuer photographer homing my skill. Appreciate if experts out there could give me feedback about s3 pro and is it a worth while investment for a learner like me.

Most are amatuers. Cameras are not investments, they are expenditures spent for our pleasure or our business. They depreciate REALLY fast.

snappez said:
Best if anyone could tell me about the battery life when using s3 pro with normal alkaline and 25oomah NiMH rechargable batt cos my friend say that s3 pro burn up batt like nobody business.

Not at all. Use NiMH, doesn't matter 1600mAh, 2100mAh or 2500mAh. 2500 more juice, 1600 less, but cost-wise, 1600 is actually better (just that you need to change batteries more often).

Compared to D70's hundreds and thousands of shots, the AAs may seem weak, but you can get Alkaline AAs even in the deep of the jungle (I know, I have been inside Sarawak's jungles), but you will not get to charge propriety Li-ion batteries!

On my S2pro, I can shoot 4 hour sessions of 300+ shots each with 1 set of 2500mAh AAs. The S3 performs about the same. Best to set the 'sleep' time to the shortest possible to save batteries and preserve sensor life.

And for beginers, well, buy what you can afford. If I can afford the D2x, I would have bought it. Similarly, the 1Ds or even medium format. You can always learn to drive in a very expensive car.

yowch said:
You can always learn to drive in a very expensive car.

Thanks bro! Think I know what to do now. You've helped in finalising my decision. I like your illustration about the car! :cool:

Snappez,

If you're a learner, why not buy a 2nd hand DSLR? It's a cheaper way to pick up gear and you can use the savings to buy some lenses/flash/etc?

A S2pro (which is what I'm using right now) would be selling for around $1200-$1500 here on clubsnap, as compared to $3k or so for a S3pro. You might want to post a WTB (Want to Buy) ad on Buy & Sell.

BTW, I've been using the S2pro for 3 years already. The S2 and S3 are best known for their pleasing colours (especially the warm looking skin tones). If you plan to shoot lots of portraits, then the S2/S3 would be the way to go. But if you're into action/nature/buildings and a stickler for accurate colours, you might want to consider Nikon or Canon.

Personally, I really like the S2 as I shoot people (mostly my kids) most of the time, and the JPEGs from the camera just needs a little tweaking in Photoshop. For info, I've shot a 12MP family portraint using the S2, and blown it up to a 24" x 30" canvas print. The shot looks pretty good and it's hard for anyone to tell that the image is shot using a digicam.

Good luck on yr shopping!

Rgds,

MW

Adding on from what I wrote earlier, please refer to Munwei's post.

I have been on a second-hand S2pro for over 1 year, shooting plenty of peope, and whatever else. Printed to 2' by 3' (hey, that's 24" x 36"). And still enjoying the camera.

In the mean time, made lots of friends at Clubsnap.

yowch said:
Adding on from what I wrote earlier, please refer to Munwei's post.

I have been on a second-hand S2pro for over 1 year, shooting plenty of peope, and whatever else. Printed to 2' by 3' (hey, that's 24" x 36"). And still enjoying the camera.

In the mean time, made lots of friends at Clubsnap.

best buy is S2Pro. :thumbsup:

i oso using one...:embrass:

Cheesecake said:
best buy is S2Pro. :thumbsup:

i oso using one...:embrass:
S2 Pro is good. S3 Pro is also good.
I was using the former, now upgraded to the latter.
:p

missed out :-
The thing abou battery life is how you use your cam and what kinds of batts you choose to use. I believe Cheesecake squeezes out a darn good life from his Powerex2500, while I get easily 400 shots from my Konnocs2500. The Fuji2300s I have last around 300, sometimes a little below if I chimp or use the LCD a bit more.

OT a bit...the lcd protector seems to pop off rather easily. any of you having the same problem? for now i have used my spare 10d lcd protector on the main lcd for additional protection and secured the top and bottom of the s3pro lcd protector with gaffer tape.

It is just a matter of extra care in use. I'm pretty gruff to my S3 during jobs, and the protector does unhinge itself every now and then. I'll just pop it back on. It is a good thing to have, as it really protects the LCD from scratches.

I have been using my workhorse S602z for quite a while, I won't say keeping very good care, but the LCD has no permanent hard marks even after 3 years. The glass itself is quite resistant to scratches.

Azure said:
It is just a matter of extra care in use. I'm pretty gruff to my S3 during jobs, and the protector does unhinge itself every now and then. I'll just pop it back on. It is a good thing to have, as it really protects the LCD from scratches.

heh...i wasn't even gruff with it and it kept dropping to the floor every now and then :dunno:

yowch said:
I have been using my workhorse S602z for quite a while, I won't say keeping very good care, but the LCD has no permanent hard marks even after 3 years. The glass itself is quite resistant to scratches.
I won't say the same for the S2/S3. My previous S2 did get a couple of strange scratches from fingernails.... :bigeyes:

eh,,,juz tape it up la...or else...simply .... take it out and forget it hahaa.,.

Yah. My S3 should clock 30K shutters at least by its due-replacement cycle. By then, scratched or no.... it'll go for a darn good price. My previous S2 unit I sold away for a song. :p

Azure said:
Yah. My S3 should clock 30K shutters at least by its due-replacement cycle. By then, scratched or no.... it'll go for a darn good price. My previous S2 unit I sold away for a song. :p

your song or buyer's song? :bsmilie:

Madmacs - hehe, The Witness knows...

Witness - hehehe.

Cheesecake - That's a long long wait, you know. And it'll be a two-year-old S3 by then, probably with its rubber grip and other parts dangling out. Haha. :p

Azure said:
Madmacs - hehe, The Witness knows...

Witness - hehehe.

Cheesecake - That's a long long wait, you know. And it'll be a two-year-old S3 by then, probably with its rubber grip and other parts dangling out. Haha. :p

witness's song ah? :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.