Status
Not open for further replies.

Wai

Jan 17, 2002
South Pole with Penguin
singastro.org
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000101&refer=japan&sid=abbB1nrK3R0Q

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0601/06013101fujifilmcuts.asp

Fuji Photo Film Co., the world's fifth-biggest digital camera maker, will eliminate 5,000 jobs and shift some production to China from Japan, in a reorganization that it expects to reduce full-year profit by 77 percent.
Hope fuji still can make it after this cost cutting exercise

Fuji Photo's plan symbolizes an end to the film camera era,'' said Hiroshi Chano
I had expected demand for color film to fall about 10 percent year-on-year,'' Chief Executive Shigetaka Komori said at a news conference in Tokyo today. ``But the decline is continuing at more than 20 percent.''
The company will stop production of some color films in Japan, Europe and the U.S. and cut back on marketing and sales costs, the statement said.
The end of film is near??

But fuji papers are still so good.:thumbsup:

No problem as more people are moving on to digital,thus the decrease in people buying film.
But they still do print out, Fuji papers for me.:thumbsup:

omg...1st konica and then now 2nd fuji...i hate to say this but it really looks like the film era is reallly diminishing at a faster rate then expected.. save the film!!

will this affects fuji digital cameras in anyway? or does this only affects film?
was thinking of buying a S9500 in a couple of months, but if the camera says made in china... :(

sorry to be a bit "bias, but i prefer japan's workmanship

Zaknafein said:
will this affects fuji digital cameras in anyway? or does this only affects film?
was thinking of buying a S9500 in a couple of months, but if the camera says made in china... :(

made in china or japan is still come out from same factory.:dunno:

yaa, but the people thats working in the factory is different mah:)
fuji move to china is to cut cost on the worker's salary, and i believe in what u pay is what u get :)

Zaknafein said:

any factory can produce lousy quality products be it japan, singapore or china. It is the final QC that counts. If the QC is good, only good quality products leave the factory to uphold the name of the brand.

Moving to china is good. Lowers costs and gives me cheaper goods.

Workers there might be cheaper than Japan but they are by no means of lower standards. Their wages are low and some factories penalise the workers for every mistake made. The workers therefore try to not make any mistakes or suffer a blow to the pocket.

Do not just simply brand 'Made in china' as inferior quality.

No, only SOME of the cameras will move to China to be produced there. So I guess it should at most affect up to the E class and not the F or S lineup. Anyway, according to this piece of news: http://home.fujifilm.com/news/n060119_2.html, Fujifilm will still continue to provide support for film, so don't worry.

Will fuji be the Next to go? Just like kodak DSLR n Konica Minolta !

Moving into china market is :cry: quality is sure to suffer!

Soapa1125 said:
Will fuji be the Next to go? Just like kodak DSLR n Konica Minolta !

Moving into china market is :cry: quality is sure to suffer!

why quality will suffer? care to elaborate?

It won't lah. It wouldn't want to risk it's reputation.

megascriler said:
No, only SOME of the cameras will move to China to be produced there. So I guess it should at most affect up to the E class and not the F or S lineup. Anyway, according to this piece of news: http://home.fujifilm.com/news/n060119_2.html, Fujifilm will still continue to provide support for film, so don't worry.

how do u know only the E Fujifilm line of cameras are affected? is there any article that u read, pls share! :D

i really hope future Fuji cams wont be made in china. i've seen quite a few products made in china and as a result, quality suffers.

1 example i can use to illustrate is the sony earphones. the type with the round round earplug that fits snuggly to the hole :D
the 1st batch was made in japan and the quality was good. however, the 2nd and 3rd batch was made in china. read in some forums that people complain that after using the earphones for a couple to 4 months, the insulation of the earphones (the wires) will start to wear and tear. and its not 2 or 3, there's like many many people complaining about this same insulation wire problem.

there's a few other cases i came across but cannot remember. so when i buy things, the country it is made in do affect me in the decision whether to buy or not :p

another point to note: Fuji's move to china is to try to make higher profits. with the lower worker wages, would Fuji sell their products at a lower price than the current? or will they stick to selling at the CURRENT price and earn a higher profit?

I guess is E series lah, since the F series is supposedly more high class.

Anyway, your last two questions do deserve some pondering over. We'll just have to wait and see. Who knows other brands might move to China also.

I fully agree that the quality is bound to suffer if operation moved to China because
the parts obtained there r of inferior quality - cut cost. I got from frd working in Leic*
revealed that Pan**** Lumi* camera lens - Liec* r from China. The quality r sub-standard.

orhhh, pan**** Lumi* lens are from China... wow, tats new and interesting!

btw, OT a bit, wat difference does it make if the lens is a small lens(compact cams), or those big 58mm lens?

You mean all are substandard or the ones produced in China? Since everybody's only praising the quality of the lens...

Status
Not open for further replies.