Fuji S602Z Vs Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ10

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegroon

Apr 12, 2003
SG
Visit site
Will be getting a DC soon, and i have narrowed my search down to 2 cams.....

Fuji S602Z (second hand)
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ10

been reading all the reviews and all and i still cant decide
i have enuff money to get either cameras as well as the accessories

perhaps a different perspective on the cameras from one of u guys will help
thanks all!

Cheers
:)

mm, anyone wif experience in handling both these cams????
:think:

ur views would be much appreciated

thank you

S602Z has faster autofocus and less shutter lag. Important if you want to capture spontaneous actions.

the 602 has higher noise.

602 has a faster shutter response??? what's the timing like?
I remember reading that the fz10 has quite good response too.

Could you quote?

The burst mode on the fz10 is not bad too. I think takes like 2.2s to recover from a 5 pic burst.

http://www.users.bigpond.com/vkelim/DMCFZ10/node6.html

I dunno about DMC-FZ10 but I do own a s602z..

S602z was one of the best prosumer in the market before, the color saturation is very appealing to eyes and has lotsa manual functions. :)
You can click on my s602z gallery for samples. ;)

FZ-10 is pretty fast too.. I was happily taking photos of planes at East Coast Park.

No experience with the FZ-10. So these are just what i really like/dislike about the 602:

2) 5 frame per second burst mode
3) Good macro.
4) Nice handling.
5) Good images with little need for post proc, lest noise reduction (unless its good lighting)

Dislikes:
1) Lack of RAW.
2) Shadow noise even at iso100.

Hope it helps...

I am no expert in Fuji 602 but this my study on the Panasonic

1. it is a newer model, 2004?
2. Fuji Super CCD is 90% mkgt bs...look at other similar SCCD models sample pics closely, pls do
3. image stablization is very very important both for long zoom and low light, this is my only regret - a big zoom without one.
4. 12x zoom is something that you dont have to worry about tele/addons anymore. repeat anymore, those in my view are not really worth the money...have tried a few, unbranded not value, branded not cheap.
5. the built is classier, pls look at the black model.
6. leica lens is one of the best, if not THE best lens, the pics will be sharp, a lot of people oversight on the lens, actually a digital ccd is only half the picture. i have compared 3mp with very good lens vs 5mp with no brand lens. a very casual user can see the difference in crispness at 5R on, 4R if closely, maybe not immediately, but surely in less than a month. by then too late.
ayway owning a leica somewhere (anywhere!) looks er...(ego ego :lovegrin: )you will appreciate this last statement when the "time" comes..me? many many times
7. lastly been to the panasonic service center.they are systematic, prompt and polite..so far of course. looks well established.

well my 2 pns

pegasus21 said:
the 602 has higher noise.

602 has a faster shutter response??? what's the timing like?
I remember reading that the fz10 has quite good response too.

Could you quote?

The burst mode on the fz10 is not bad too. I think takes like 2.2s to recover from a 5 pic burst.

http://www.users.bigpond.com/vkelim/DMCFZ10/node6.html

I have tried one of the Panasonic 12x zoom digicams at an exhibition. From your link, the half-press shutter lag isn't too bad (no mention whether it's wide or tele or whether it matters or not). But the full full press lag (which measures the AF performance) is longer than what I experienced with S602Z (independent reviews put it as fast as 0.3-0.5s for wide angle and 0.8s for tele). As for burst modes, S602Z could take 5fps, though it takes a longer while to recover.

quoted from your link:
If the camera is in Auto-focus and you just press the shutter button without half-pressing it first, the shutter lag can be between 0.7 seconds and several seconds, depending on how long it takes to get focus lock

can check out reviews by dpreview and steve's digicams. i helped my colleague buy a camera over the weekend. she ended up by the fujitsu camera becos of the price. the FZ-10 costs ard $900. but, according to both reviews, FZ-10 is highly recommended. so, if u like my colleague where price is a factor, the fuji cam is okie. but, if you want to go for quality, go for FZ-10.

hope dat helps?

tert said:
No experience with the FZ-10. So these are just what i really like/dislike about the 602:

2) 5 frame per second burst mode
3) Good macro.
4) Nice handling.
5) Good images with little need for post proc, lest noise reduction (unless its good lighting)

Dislikes:
1) Lack of RAW.
2) Shadow noise even at iso100.

Hope it helps...

S602Z does not have ISO 100, min is 160.

The noise level was one of the best during it's release. Even ISO 400 is usable. The 6MP files contain the resolution equivalent to images captured by a good 4MP camera (like Canon G2).

nightwolf75 said:
can check out reviews by dpreview and steve's digicams. i helped my colleague buy a camera over the weekend. she ended up by the fujitsu camera becos of the price. the FZ-10 costs ard $900. but, according to both reviews, FZ-10 is highly recommended. so, if u like my colleague where price is a factor, the fuji cam is okie. but, if you want to go for quality, go for FZ-10.

hope dat helps?

the S602Z mentioned here is from fujifilm, not fujitsu.... also I doubt your colleague could buy in brandnew as it is discontinued for quite a while. There're many other models of Fujifilm cameras though.

Another thing.... there is no review done for FZ-10 at dpreview.... but steves-digicams reviewed the FZ-10 favourably:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/fz10_pg5.html

mpenza said:
the S602Z mentioned here is from fujifilm, not fujitsu.... also I doubt your colleague could buy in brandnew as it is discontinued for quite a while. There're many other models of Fujifilm cameras though.

Another thing.... there is no review done for FZ-10 at dpreview.... but steves-digicams reviewed the FZ-10 favourably:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/fz10_pg5.html

for fuji s602z, try http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujis602z/

for fz-10, check out user reviews at http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read_opinions.asp?prodkey=panasonic_dmcfz10

hope it helps? :think:

Fiji CCD is really crap. Noise is really high (Max resolution. ie 6MP). Another thing about noise. newer CCDs have smaller noise grain so it looks more like flim iso grain.

Look at some sample pictures.

mpenza said:
S602Z does not have ISO 100, min is 160.

The noise level was one of the best during it's release. Even ISO 400 is usable. The 6MP files contain the resolution equivalent to images captured by a good 4MP camera (like Canon G2).

Thanks for pointing that out.

While i do love the images from the 602, my main qualm with the camera would be the less than desirable image performance in low light e.g. indoors (even with tripod). In good light, its great. I have printed confidently 11 x 14. But in low light, the camera does seem to have a problem with interpreting and reproducing the scene. It's not just the noise, its the lack of detail when the camera is required to work harder to read what's available.

Having said that, in adequate lighting, the images from the camera is great. Its what i might refer to as having the natural 'pop' factor.

pegasus21 said:
Fiji CCD is really crap. Noise is really high (Max resolution. ie 6MP). Another thing about noise. newer CCDs have smaller noise grain so it looks more like flim iso grain.

Everything will appear crappy if you look at the world through your computer monitor at six MP.

A note about noise: Its not only noise that we should hold as a standard if we evaluate a camera's performance cuz any powerful in-camera noise reduction algo will be able to eliminate all form of noise, and along with it all the details in the picture.

Canon does a really good job with that; they blow all the noise away, along with everything else. :bsmilie:

Tried the FZ-10 and felt that the speed is really good. The IS is very useful.

tert said:
Thanks for pointing that out.

While i do love the images from the 602, my main qualm with the camera would be the less than desirable image performance in low light e.g. indoors (even with tripod). In good light, its great. I have printed confidently 11 x 14. But in low light, the camera does seem to have a problem with interpreting and reproducing the scene. It's not just the noise, its the lack of detail when the camera is required to work harder to read what's available.

Having said that, in adequate lighting, the images from the camera is great. Its what i might refer to as having the natural 'pop' factor.

Is it just underexposure? A camera has 256 levels for each color (for 24 bit jpg). If a pic is underexposed, there're less levels and you're bound to lose details. It's the same for any digital cameras. Properly exposed pics will still "pop".

nightwolf75 said:

dpreview has a very biased review against S602z. It gave recommended rating becoz its iso 800 and 1600 can be taken only at 1mp. But tell me which prosumer cam designed in yr 2002 can have iso 1600/800 setting, with 30 fps movie, fastest focusing/ least shutter lag (at Prosumer class) and combined shutter speed and aperture at 1/10000 sec with Max F11 value selling at 1000 plus dollars that time and now is selling 2nd at $600?

My personal opinion will probably go to cnet where most common users (professional/newbie) will have "real comments" even the users comments on dpreview also gave good comments..

pegasus21 said:

Show some sample pics taken by both cameras at the same ISO, e.g. ISO 200 and ISO 400? Alternatively, print out the pics and compare the difference. Putting down a camera because of misconception of lack of experience is not right :dunno:

All that said, if FZ10's image quality is up to standard and the AF performance is ok, the image stabilisation will make it a winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.