Fuji S5600 thread


Status
Not open for further replies.

archie2000

New Member
Jan 2, 2006
53
0
0
hi i've just got tis camera. hope all similar camera user could step forward to share your experience.

 

michhy

New Member
Oct 21, 2005
780
0
0
archie2000 said:
hi i've just got tis camera. hope all similar camera user could step forward to share your experience.
Welcome :) I'm using the same one too ;)
 

soundmax

Member
Dec 6, 2005
344
0
16
me 2.... :p
 

felixcat8888

Senior Member
May 8, 2005
9,765
33
48
54
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
michhy said:
Welcome :) I'm using the same one too ;)
Hi Bro michhy,

How is the performace as compared to the Canon S2 IS or the Panasonic FZ-5?

Just curious as I was also looking at this and the big bro the S-9500
 

michhy

New Member
Oct 21, 2005
780
0
0
felixcat8888 said:
How is the performace as compared to the Canon S2 IS or the Panasonic FZ-5? and the big bro the S-9500
To be frank, I would say that the S2 IS is a better camera in some ways if you are comparing it with the S5600 or the FZ5. But that can be argued since each camera has it's own stronger qualities that others do not have. But for the price of the S2 IS, I would rather go for the S9500 which has more pixels and stronger specs. Since photography is just a hobby, I didnt wanna spend so much on either the S2 IS nor the S9500 :sweat:

As for the FZ5, I was seriously considering it too, but alas, I cannot accept the noise level of the photos. It has noise at dark areas even at ISO100! :thumbsd: But the Leica lense and the 12x IS lense is very attractive, I would say. Anyway, I also dislike the design of the FZ5 camera body as compared to the S5600.

Those above are the reasons why I ended up with the S5600.
 

felixcat8888

Senior Member
May 8, 2005
9,765
33
48
54
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
michhy said:
To be frank, I would say that the S2 IS is a better camera in some ways if you are comparing it with the S5600 or the FZ5. But that can be argued since each camera has it's own stronger qualities that others do not have. But for the price of the S2 IS, I would rather go for the S9500 which has more pixels and stronger specs. Since photography is just a hobby, I didnt wanna spend so much on either the S2 IS nor the S9500 :sweat:

As for the FZ5, I was seriously considering it too, but alas, I cannot accept the noise level of the photos. It has noise at dark areas even at ISO100! :thumbsd: But the Leica lense and the 12x IS lense is very attractive, I would say. Anyway, I also dislike the design of the FZ5 camera body as compared to the S5600.

Those above are the reasons why I ended up with the S5600.
Thanks michhy for your valuable feedback. Was very tempted to go for the S9500 and trade in my S2 but will keep it for now.

Cheers....
 

archie2000

New Member
Jan 2, 2006
53
0
0
michhy said:
Welcome I'm using the same one too
kool.. bro michhy :cool: . glad tat u respond to tis thread. when i just joined and did a search on tis model here, found out tat u r the Senior/Pioneer :D . u have evaluated many dc, looking for accessories and have u found the lens hood yet ;) . think we share the same thought. not super pixel and techno but just a hobbyist with budget only for reasonably and decently sharp photo. canon s2 is in my mind for quite awhile. alan photo selling for 850. but when i stumble upon s5600 unintentionally at bangkok airport, i immediately fell for it :lovegrin: . i like the feel and look. asked for the manual to chl on the specs. tested a few shots. wow fully manual control shutter at 1/2000, aperture and iso up to 1600. snap a few shots on the spots. wysiwyg. no blur image for moving obj. unlimited decent video. low price and lots of free gifts. superb typical thai salesgal service. no choice must pull out the plastic card :)
 

archie2000

New Member
Jan 2, 2006
53
0
0
soundmax said:
hi bro soundmax. how's your toying with tis cam so far. i used to own a nikon coolpix 2 mp. colour very off. canon ixus i, well is not too bad with the manual setting. but not gd enof to shoot my beloved arowana. tell myself must get one with full control over shutter and aperture but not dslr range. then found stumbled on tis great cam. my bro bought a olympus 8 mp dc. the verdict is very crab. over expose when shooting on light. colour off too obvious with auto setting. even my n6210 can shoot better pic. at a point i even suspected his newly bought dc is faulty.
 

archie2000

New Member
Jan 2, 2006
53
0
0
felixcat8888 said:
Thanks michhy for your valuable feedback. Was very tempted to go for the S9500 and trade in my S2 but will keep it for now.

Cheers....
i'm a canon user. i always look upon their s2. think its new gen microprocessor II will greatly enhance on its already gd earlier generation. almost landed with one until i've found tis which meet my needs and budget.
 

archie2000

New Member
Jan 2, 2006
53
0
0
bro micchy, soundmax and all s5600 bros... once i got home, i couldn't wait to test it to the max. these r the few findings, wonder wats your comments.

1. extremely gd battery life with the foc 2100 ni-MH and charger. about 500+ shots with quite a few flash on and short clips. really knock out my myth overnite on the use of AA battery for cam.

2. impressively high ISO 1600 with less then expected noise

3. quite powerful built-in flash. could decently lite up a dark rm 7-8m away. maybe previously i'm using miserably minute compact dc flash :dunno:

4. gd colouration and lighting tone. wysiwyg.

5. i got no luck with its anti blur mode. anyone of u could put it to better use.

6. i find tat the playback pic with the lcd is much better quality then when i view with my laptop. i see shine in the pic at the playback lcd but the shine lost when the pic downloaded to my computer. any of u experience the same thing :confused:

7. when in low light, i could not achieve the wysiwyg. already tried out diff mode. S/A/M/ISO. all still not luck.

8. i got very interesting subject for testing at home :devil: . no not wat u guys r thinking. its my arowana fish :p . moving obj in not so bright lighting. hope u guys could gather here one day with our toy and test on it :thumbsup:
 

michhy

New Member
Oct 21, 2005
780
0
0
felixcat8888 said:
Thanks michhy for your valuable feedback. Was very tempted to go for the S9500 and trade in my S2 but will keep it for now.
Well I wouldn't trade-in the S2 IS just yet - it is still a very capable 5mp camera. I especially the 0mm Macro mode :thumbsup: But if asked to choose between the S9500 and the S2 IS, definately I'll take the S9500 :sweatsm:
 

michhy

New Member
Oct 21, 2005
780
0
0
archie2000 said:
bro micchy, soundmax and all s5600 bros... once i got home, i couldn't wait to test it to the max. these r the few findings, wonder wats your comments.

1. extremely gd battery life with the foc 2100 ni-MH and charger. about 500+ shots with quite a few flash on and short clips. really knock out my myth overnite on the use of AA battery for cam.

2. impressively high ISO 1600 with less then expected noise

3. quite powerful built-in flash. could decently lite up a dark rm 7-8m away. maybe previously i'm using miserably minute compact dc flash :dunno:

4. gd colouration and lighting tone. wysiwyg.

5. i got no luck with its anti blur mode. anyone of u could put it to better use.

6. i find tat the playback pic with the lcd is much better quality then when i view with my laptop. i see shine in the pic at the playback lcd but the shine lost when the pic downloaded to my computer. any of u experience the same thing

7. when in low light, i could not achieve the wysiwyg. already tried out diff mode. S/A/M/ISO. all still not luck.

8. i got very interesting subject for testing at home. no not wat u guys r thinking. its my arowana fish. moving obj in not so bright lighting. hope u guys could gather here one day with our toy and test on it :thumbsup:
1. Yes, I got the Fuji 2500mA batteries and used my
old Sanyo quickcharger with it. The batteries really last very long.

2. I rarely use ISO1600 because I usually needs to do cropping, but yes, it is very useful for high speed shooting :)

3. I'm getting around 5m only. But then again, I'm the type who prefer natural light to flashes anyway, lol

4. agree, very natural colour reproduction. My first Fuji camera and is lovin' it!

5. it works for me. Even allow me to capture moving subjects. What's the problem with yours? Maybe you can share and we see if we could help.

6. of course lar. your computer LCD is a better one. This one no suprise :sweat:

7. How low-light was it? Did you use tripod? Long shutter speeds? What settings did you specifically used? What sort of subject you were shooting? What light was available?

8. if you wanna shoot through the aquarium glass, a polarizer might help. Get those 55mm ones since the S5600's lense is threaded, so we dont need extra converter or adaptor
 

archie2000

New Member
Jan 2, 2006
53
0
0
michhy said:
1. Yes, I got the Fuji 2500mA batteries and used my
old Sanyo quickcharger with it. The batteries really last very long.

2. I rarely use ISO1600 because I usually needs to do cropping, but yes, it is very useful for high speed shooting

3. I'm getting around 5m only. But then again, I'm the type who prefer natural light to flashes anyway, lol

4. agree, very natural colour reproduction. My first Fuji camera and is lovin' it!

5. it works for me. Even allow me to capture moving subjects. What's the problem with yours? Maybe you can share and we see if we could help.

6. of course lar. your computer LCD is a better one. This one no suprise

7. How low-light was it? Did you use tripod? Long shutter speeds? What settings did you specifically used? What sort of subject you were shooting? What light was available?

8. if you wanna shoot through the aquarium glass, a polarizer might help. Get those 55mm ones since the S5600's lense is threaded, so we dont need extra converter or adaptor
hi michhy.

2. i was toying with the shutter. at 1/20 pic already darken by a lot. so at the same time play with the iso setting. found tat with faster shutter, without changing the aperture but by just adjusting the iso to higher sensitivity, could achieve brighter pic. wat do u think should be the rite way.

3. ya i oso prefer natural light. was just testing the flash in total darkness. surprise by the gd result. its brighten up and rather focus too.

5. i do not know exactly. i was trying to achieve very sharp pic result of my fish swimming ard. so try with the anti blur mode. i tried with panning and without. maybe could be my lighting not enough or my hand super shakie :dunno:

6. no lah. knew someone will get me wrong. tats y tried to explain so much and confused u. i meant the pic view in my cam is better and richer content and more original then view at my laptop. the pic when view at my cam is sharp and has shine. but when view at my laptop is kind of matt and without shine. hope tat's not norm. but how could my new laptop lcd so crab.

7. ermm not really gd in light measuring. do u mean illum. heeeheee ok lay man term.. 1x36W flourescent on top of a 12mm thickness glass tank. have not but will try with tripod.

8. hmmm a polarizer :think: . ok i go chk out wats tat toy. from my search i learned tat i need maybe at least a 50mm macro lens. not sure how to go abt getting the polarizer and macro lens. ya another one of the gd thing with our cam is tat its threaded.

i'm really having a lot of fun with this cam now. hope could thrash out some of the cons i've stumbled and hope its only users fault. looking forward to hear from u, mich :thumbsup:


here's a pic of my best work...err well with a little of s/w help for sharpening :p

 

michhy

New Member
Oct 21, 2005
780
0
0
archie2000 said:
hi michhy.

2. i was toying with the shutter. at 1/20 pic already darken by a lot. so at the same time play with the iso setting. found tat with faster shutter, without changing the aperture but by just adjusting the iso to higher sensitivity, could achieve brighter pic. wat do u think should be the rite way.

3. ya i oso prefer natural light. was just testing the flash in total darkness. surprise by the gd result. its brighten up and rather focus too.

5. i do not know exactly. i was trying to achieve very sharp pic result of my fish swimming ard. so try with the anti blur mode. i tried with panning and without. maybe could be my lighting not enough or my hand super shakie

6. no lah. knew someone will get me wrong. tats y tried to explain so much and confused u. i meant the pic view in my cam is better and richer content and more original then view at my laptop. the pic when view at my cam is sharp and has shine. but when view at my laptop is kind of matt and without shine. hope tat's not norm. but how could my new laptop lcd so crab.

7. ermm not really gd in light measuring. do u mean illum. heeeheee ok lay man term.. 1x36W flourescent on top of a 12mm thickness glass tank. have not but will try with tripod.

8. hmmm a polarizer. ok i go chk out wats tat toy. from my search i learned tat i need maybe at least a 50mm macro lens. not sure how to go abt getting the polarizer and macro lens. ya another one of the gd thing with our cam is tat its threaded.

i'm really having a lot of fun with this cam now. hope could thrash out some of the cons i've stumbled and hope its only users fault. looking forward to hear from u, mich

here's a pic of my best work...err well with a little of s/w help for sharpening
2. at 1/20, the shutter speed is quite slow in my opinion. Usually handshake become visible at this speed too. Yes, bump up the ISO to increase the sensor sensitivity, this way, it will get brighter. Also, use the largest aperture (F3.2). But it really depends on what you are shooting. If it is a still subject, you can always use ISO64 with long shutter (use a tripod, for god's sake!). I usually try to use as low ISO as I could get away with - with the exception of moving subjects like animals which needs a higher ISO and quick shutter speed to capture.

5. Try to shoot during those moments when the fish isn't swimming too fast. No panning unless you want the background to be blurred.

6. Remember that on the camera's tiny 1.8" LCD, the photo is resized so it *appears* to be sharp and pretty, but on the computer LCD, the photo may be viewed at 100% size so you will see all the flaws in the photo :sweat: Try viewing the same photo in your computer but at 50% zoom. Does it look nicer? Remember that when you print 4R photos, your eyes cant actually see pixel-per-inkdot! ;)

nice fish, by the way :)
 

archie2000

New Member
Jan 2, 2006
53
0
0
michhy said:
2. at 1/20, the shutter speed is quite slow in my opinion. Usually handshake become visible at this speed too. Yes, bump up the ISO to increase the sensor sensitivity, this way, it will get brighter. Also, use the largest aperture (F3.2). But it really depends on what you are shooting. If it is a still subject, you can always use ISO64 with long shutter (use a tripod, for god's sake!). I usually try to use as low ISO as I could get away with - with the exception of moving subjects like animals which needs a higher ISO and quick shutter speed to capture.

5. Try to shoot during those moments when the fish isn't swimming too fast. No panning unless you want the background to be blurred.

6. Remember that on the camera's tiny 1.8" LCD, the photo is resized so it *appears* to be sharp and pretty, but on the computer LCD, the photo may be viewed at 100% size so you will see all the flaws in the photo :sweat: Try viewing the same photo in your computer but at 50% zoom. Does it look nicer? Remember that when you print 4R photos, your eyes cant actually see pixel-per-inkdot!

nice fish, by the way
thks :embrass: . i've tried zoom out from my computer to the same size as the cam lcd. but so sad.. the pic view from the cam lcd is still sharper, brighter and shinier :cry: . technically speaking the laptop lcd is much higher quality them the cam's lcd. now i'm trying to conclude dun buy compaq v2004ap :think: .

wow found out the wonder of a polarizer filter. could u recommend which type should i buy. i saw quite many members selling at buy/sell. should i get a linear or circular for our cam. i assume it got to be a 55mm type to fit rite.

oso crazy over taking macro shots. find tat tis cam macro not tat gd. wonder how u feel. thinking of getting a macro lens. but dunno how to buy. could you recommend a suitable one and what specs should i look out for.

i saw your batam pic at your gallery. very nice. i'm obesess over moving obj recently. can appreciate your pic. very well done. care to share your setting. guess the bright outdoor natural lighting does help.

 

megascriler

New Member
Jun 18, 2005
394
0
0
I think the picture may be very much sharper on the camera's LCD because it does have a higher pixel density, 118000 pixels on a 1.8" LCD, which is 65555 pixels per inch, try to calculate your monitor's pixel density.
 

archie2000

New Member
Jan 2, 2006
53
0
0
megascriler said:
I think the picture may be very much sharper on the camera's LCD because it does have a higher pixel density, 118000 pixels on a 1.8" LCD, which is 65555 pixels per inch, try to calculate your monitor's pixel density.
pixel density... thks bro megascriler for your suggestion. how come i nvr thought of tat. ok my computer LCD resolution is 1280x768 on a 14" LCD. so work out to be 70217 pixel per inch :dunno: :(
 

megascriler

New Member
Jun 18, 2005
394
0
0
Wah your LCD is widescreen de ah?
 

archie2000

New Member
Jan 2, 2006
53
0
0
megascriler said:
Wah your LCD is widescreen de ah?
hanor... i think lcd with glass screen provide better pic quality.
 

Youhong

Senior Member
Dec 30, 2004
3,966
0
0
34
North
photofreak-alvinz.blogspot.com
Impressive! S5600 is much superior than my S5500... At ISO 400, the noise level was so high... therefore, I tried to use as low ISO as possible... but then that means I must use slower shutter which makes low lighting shooting difficult... And one sad thing was that it has problem focusing under low lighting conditions... Hence, many of my shots were out of focus.... Also, startup timing is slow and I often missed good shooting opportunities... Time required in between shots are also too long....
 

Status
Not open for further replies.