Fuji Press 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kobe

Jul 12, 2003
Visit site
Hi,

Spent the whole night read through a lot of film discussions here. Have a question for this partucular film, Fuji Press 800, which is highly recommended by some of you here for Indoor Low Light Event.

Some of you mentioned that push it to 640 (over-exposed?) will get better result. And in certain occasions we need to push it to 1600? If I'm not mistaken, pushing to 1600 is actually under-exposed the film right? So, why we want to do that?

One more question, we are NOT allow the change the ISO setting on the same film right? Means we have to use the same ISO for the whole film. May I know why?

Bear with my questions, I'm still quite new. :embrass:

Thanks and Regards,
Kobe

i share with u wat i know kobe.....

when the film is rated @ 640 is known as pulling..
when rated @ 1600 is known as pushing.

I dunno y they pull the film but it might be due to they do not have enuff film on site n wish to use it @ 640. Maybe their cams do not have such high shutter speeds for wide open aperture hence they down rate the film tho highly unlikely.

For pushing, its due to the ambience light being too low, hence they rated it @ 1600 (underexposed if u process normally).
U have to let the lab assistance know if u wanna push or pull otherwise, the exposure wun be accurate when its developed.

As for y u cannot change iso throughout the same roll, its due to the fact the labs wun process half roll this speed half roll that speed kinda thingy...i cant really explain well but normally development is done in a whole roll thingy...hence if u change iso throughout the roll n tell the lab to process @ say iso 800, those frames that were pushed or pulled will not turn out rite...:)

but if u have very good darkroom techniques, u could just process a certain part of the film, similar like bulk loading but then thats another story altogether....

Hope this helps....:)

Hmm..from my understanding, C41 process is a standard process (i.e. the process timing is the same regardless whether u push/pull the film). The correction you see comes during the printing stage.

So in theory it should be possible to shoot say 12 frames at 640, 12 frames at 800 and the remaining 12 frames at 1600. All your prints will be corrected at the printing stage and should turn out fine regardless of the speed you rated it.

Could anyone else confirm this for me?

Thanks for the responses.

Yup, kinda curious about the outputs if we change to rating of Press 800 @ 640, 800 and 1600. (If we don't tell the Lab to push or pull process it).

Will the results come out this way?

800 @ 640, over-exposed
800 @ 800, normal
800 @ 1600, under-exposed

:dunno:

Regards,
Kobe

Originally posted by BraveHart
Hmm..from my understanding, C41 process is a standard process (i.e. the process timing is the same regardless whether u push/pull the film). The correction you see comes during the printing stage.

So in theory it should be possible to shoot say 12 frames at 640, 12 frames at 800 and the remaining 12 frames at 1600. All your prints will be corrected at the printing stage and should turn out fine regardless of the speed you rated it.

Could anyone else confirm this for me?

That is not exactly true.
Yes, the C-41 is a standard process, but the crux here is the film.
If you underrate Press 800, at 640, and you take the picture, that particular frame will be overexposed. Yes you can correct it at the printing stage but because the film is overexposed, you will lose some details. For negative films, it's not so bad cos the exposure latitude is quite big. You can't do the same for slides, cos even a half stop difference in exposure is quite obvious.

If you compare pictures of Press 800 at 640, and 800, the picture will look almost the same, cos it's only a 1/3 stop difference.

It will be more obvious between 800 and 1600.

Rating the Press 800 at 640 is called "Re-rating", not "pulling". You basically shoot @ 640 and NOT let the lab know - process as normal.

The true speed of Press 800 is not actually ISO 800, but closer to 640 or 500. Thus if you shoot at 640, exposure is supposed to be more "correct".

Also, on negative films, it's always better to slightly overexpose. Overexposure is a lot easier to correct in the lab when printing. But underexposure gives you grain, etc.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang
Rating the Press 800 at 640 is called "Re-rating", not "pulling". You basically shoot @ 640 and NOT let the lab know - process as normal.

The true speed of Press 800 is not actually ISO 800, but closer to 640 or 500. Thus if you shoot at 640, exposure is supposed to be more "correct".

Also, on negative films, it's always better to slightly overexpose. Overexposure is a lot easier to correct in the lab when printing. But underexposure gives you grain, etc.

Regards
CK

woah....i learn something new everyday.....

I always wondered y some guys rate their negs slightly lower ....now i know already...(at least i think so....)

:)

Originally posted by ckiang

Regards
CK

In this case, can we "re-rate" the film to different ISOs?

Thanks and Regards,
Kobe

I Think CK already explained your question.

Take for example, you've a ISO 400 Film

Pushing - Set the Camera ISO Setting to ISO 800 and inform the lab to process at ISO 800.

Pulling - Set the Camera ISO Setting to ISO 200 and inform the lab to process at ISO 200.

Re_Rating - Set the Camera ISO Setting to ISO 360. Let the lab process normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.