Fuji neopan 400

Status
Not open for further replies.

seaweed

Jun 7, 2005
Jurong
Is fuji neopan professional 400 a C-41 chemistry process film?

Not sure abt the code numbers but i know it is different from the 'normal' processing of Superia, Reala and Press. Neopan is more expensive for processing and printing.

U can consider getting the Ilford XP2 (B&W) if you want the normal processing of color films.

I thought its uses c-41 process like normal negative film :sweat:
Do u hv any idea which shop got provide service to develop fuji neopan 400?
Jus went to 2 photo shops at west side for processing, but was told dat they dun provide black n white film processing

Ruby at Peninsula does it. Its the shop beside 'The Camera Workshop'.

No, Neopan 400 is not a chromogenic B/W film (e.g. cannot be processed using the C-41 process used for colored negatives).

If you're still interested in chromogenic B/W films, several that are available on the market today are lford's XP2 and Kodak's TCN-400

Neopan 400 is a true black and white emulsion.

However, Fuji does make a chromogenic B&W film called "Neopan 400CN" in partnership with Ilford. Its only sold in Europe and not available here.

It is apparently based on XP2, but with some modifications. I recall reading a test in a british photo journal that it scans better on a Fuji frontier than XP2.

LKSC said:
Neopan 400 is a true black and white emulsion.

However, Fuji does make a chromogenic B&W film called "Neopan 400CN" in partnership with Ilford. Its only sold in Europe and not available here.

It is apparently based on XP2, but with some modifications. I recall reading a test in a british photo journal that it scans better on a Fuji frontier than XP2.
So there's a big difference between 'neopan 400' n 'neopan 400cn'
Dats the problem when i didnt catch the important word ''CN'' while reading AP magazine on topic black n white
N thought dat kodak n ilford r the only B/W company

Jus came back from a photo shop at Jp, they charge $6 for processing fee, plus a waiting time of 10 days :bigeyes:

But told me dat they only provide colour print photo paper for printing, and it will hv a slight yellow colour cast.

Only true black n white photo paper wont hv tis problem, which they dun provide.

If i scan the process negative to cd-rw, will the yellow colour cast occurs?

Bernard Ong said:
U can consider getting the Ilford XP2 (B&W) if you want the normal processing of color films.
Wat paper is use for printing for Ilford Xp2?
Will there b a colour cast(similar to sepia) if printed on fujicolour crystal archive supreme paper?

The 3 labs u mention is a bit faaaar :sweat:
Thanks for the :thumbsup: :light: info u provided

Glad to see that people are still shooting film these days ;)

I have tried using different types of films for some of my works, especially for weddings. The Kodak B&W TCN tends to scan better than the Ilford Xp2 super, but if you're planning to print on silver halide paper, Ilford is the way to go because it doesn't have the orange mask which makes it damn hard to print (imagine, setting contrast to 4 - 4.5 and still look flat).

With the quantum leap in ink jet technology, there are many folks that scans their B&W negatives and have them printed on machines like the Epson pro series... many have choosen this path even for exhibition prints or prints sold to collectors... I personally know it because I've been printing B&W for photographers who are selling these prints to hotels and collectors for $500 a piece.

Compared to colour lab prints, the ink jet paper is gives DEAD neutral blacks and unless you put it next to a fibre-based silver halide print, you can't tell ;)

Might want to check out Jeff Ascough's works, he shoots exclusively Neopan 400CN and Kodak 400BW CN.

www.jeffascough.com

My only gripe about the C41 films is that grains are too fine, focusing with the grain-finder can be tedious in the darkroom

canturn said:
Might want to check out Jeff Ascough's works, he shoots exclusively Neopan 400CN and Kodak 400BW CN.

www.jeffascough.com

My only gripe about the C41 films is that grains are too fine, focusing with the grain-finder can be tedious in the darkroom

Jeff Ascough is one of the best wedding photographers in the world. But he mostly shoots with a Canon 1DMkII nowadays, though he has said he is hanging on to his Noctilux in anticipation of the Digital M.

LSKC: true that he shoots with a 1D2 these days, but his portfolio that consists mainly of B&W were shot on film... Kodak pro website has some of his shots done on the Kodak 400CN BW and his noct and 35lux (one of those spokesperson thingy lah).

Hijacj...HijacK!!!! sorry,

I have used the kodak 400 Cn and the Neopan 400, and the kodak seems to be much finer and the grains for the Neopan is quite apparent even for bright daylight shots. I am no pro so did not ask the lady in the shop in Peninsula when I collect my prints, thought i have underexposed my shots and she was just trying to boost it up.

Is grains the characterisitcs of bw films other then C41 types?

Grains are apparent iso 400 silver halide film... that's the characteristic. C41 film at iso 1000 shows less obvious grain, even printed at 8R.

Bernard Ong said:
Ruby at Peninsula does it. Its the shop beside 'The Camera Workshop'.

th elast time i printed from Neopan 400, th ewaiting time was one week, does the processing takes this long or just a queue time?

Nikonnew said:
th elast time i printed from Neopan 400, th ewaiting time was one week, does the processing takes this long or just a queue time?

It's not just limited to Neopan 400. Typically, when you send in your film for developing (normally HP5, FP4 & PANF+ for me) or for printing, it takes abt a week to be ready. Ruby send out the films/negs for developing and printing, so the Uncle probably drops by once or twice a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.