Fuji F100fd or Canon 860IS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevenfightclub

Aug 13, 2006
As above, for a point and shoot, which do you think is a better buy? Fuji 100D or Canon Ixux 860IS? The price is similar. My main concern is picture quality.

Last edited:
F100fd, hands down!... coz i own one after searching for best PnS.:thumbsup:

IQ you say?... can you tell which one is taken with F100fd & 40D? (100% crop, taken just seconds apart from the same subject)

IMG_5720a.jpg

bottom
DSCF0309a.jpg

Last edited:

IQ you say?... can you tell which one is taken with F100fd & 40D? (100% crop, taken just seconds apart from the same subject)

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n94/engr_mariano/IMG_5720a.jpg
bottom
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n94/engr_mariano/DSCF0309a.jpg

Top photo is from 40D, bottom is Fuji F100fd...;)

But there are differences in specs between the IXUS 860 and the Fuji F100fd.

1) F100fd is 12 MP while 860IS is 8 MP
2) F100fd has 5X zoom, 860IS has 3.8X zoom
3) F100fd has 16 scene modes, 860IS has only 10
4) F100fd has ISO 12,800, 860IS has up to ISO 1600
5) CHDK software is available for Canon digicams which increases the functionality of the digicams substantially e.g. you can now shoot in RAW using Canon digicams.

So it depends on what you actually want.

bottom
even the WORST ISO performer PnS can do that at ISO100... no way one could use that to judge a camera.

even the WORST ISO performer PnS can do that at ISO100... no way one could use that to judge a camera.

Compare the 100% crop image to a 40D? I beg to differ.

Where is the Fuji camera made?

teebs: actually all I'm after is excellent image quality. Which one has better quality?

Also, how much is the Fuji? I heard it's $480 right? If so, where sells it at $480?

Last edited:
Where is the Fuji camera made?

teebs: actually all I'm after is excellent image quality. Which one has better quality?

Also, how much is the Fuji? I heard it's $480 right? If so, where sells it at $480?

Image quality is very subjective and depends on person to person. What I would suggest is to take a look at the reviews of the two cameras at Imaging Resource.

Fuji F100fd
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/F100FD/F100FDA.HTM

Canon IXUS 860IS (Powershot SD870IS in US)
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/SD870IS/SD870ISA.HTM

And you can compare the images taken with each camera at this website:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

As all the pictures taken by Imaging Resource are in controlled lighting, you will be able to see the differences in picture quality between the two cameras.

Erm, the Canon seems to have better image quality to me in the imaging-resource comparison. Tho yes engrmariano - gotta say, your Fuji vs 40D comparison is very impressive indeed!

Sian leh. Can't decide!

The Fuji is made in China, rite?

teebs: which one do u use? Or neither? :D

Last edited:
add panasonic lx3 to your choice too! =D

Or actually is f50fd better? But I want wide angle leh...

Junye: hahaha! i already very headache liao leh... still add lumix ah... :sweat:

hmmm i'm sure you want the best for your buck?
=D go and test out the cameras yourself. after reading all the reviews u find.

most imptly u must:heart: the camera u buy

Erm, the Canon seems to have better image quality to me in the imaging-resource comparison. Tho yes engrmariano - gotta say, your Fuji vs 40D comparison is very impressive indeed!

Sian leh. Can't decide!

The Fuji is made in China, rite?

teebs: which one do u use? Or neither? :D

I am currently using the IXUS 800IS & Canon S3 IS. I would say that the picture quality of the Canon IXUS 800IS is pretty good. I can't comment on the Fuji F100fd as I have not used it before.

Anyway, although it is not a comparison, here is a pic taken at the Blue mountains when I was there in June this year. Pic taken by my ISUX 800IS. No editing done at all. Pic as it is from camera. Only resized to 600x450 pixels.

Do note that the IXUS 800IS is a much older camera, which has only 6MP and is using Digic 2 processor compared to the Digic 3 processor that IXUS 860IS (8MP) is using. So theoratically the IXUS 860IS should produce much better images than the IXUS 800IS.

IMG_0125.jpg

Below are 100% crops from the picture above.

IMG_0125%20crop%201.jpg

IMG_0125%20crop%202.jpg

Last edited:
I tested both cameras... went for the Canon. ;)

Was wondering if anyone has set the camera to shoot in RAW?

Is it fairly straightforward? Did it affect camera performance in any way?

I tested both cameras... went for the Canon. ;)

Was wondering if anyone has set the camera to shoot in RAW?

Is it fairly straightforward? Did it affect camera performance in any way?

IXUS 860IS cannot shoot in Raw. You can only shoot in Raw if you use the CHDK software. However, do note that this Raw file will not be able to be processed by most commercial software as this is not the standard Canon .CR2 format Raw file.

Currently I am using Lightbox Free Image editor to process the Raw files for my S3 IS and IXUS 800IS.

Performance wise, the writing speed of the camera will be affected quite significantly if you do not use a fast SD card especially if you are shooting in burst mode.

Yup, was referring to the CHDK software - how to I go about doing this?

So far, only Lightbox can process? Any others? So like, Capture One Pro cannot?

Any SD card to recommend?

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie: agreed......

Yup, was referring to the CHDK software - how to I go about doing this?

So far, only Lightbox can process? Any others? So like, Capture One Pro cannot?

Any SD card to recommend?

You can download the newest version of the Allbest CHDK software here:

http://grandag.nm.ru/hdk/autobuild/

So far as I have tried, only Lightbox is able to process my S3 and Ixus 800 Raw files. But what I know is that for some models, the raw files can be processed by other software. So you may want to try is Capture One Pro is able to read the Raw files created by your IXUS 860.

Another method is to convert the Raw files to DNG using the software DNG4PS-2. Link below:

http://dng4ps2.chat.ru/index_en.html

thanks teebs! :)

But exactly what do I do to shoot in Raw? I download the program into my computer... and then?

Sorry ah, I've never done this before... ;p

thanks teebs! :)

But exactly what do I do to shoot in Raw? I download the program into my computer... and then?

Sorry ah, I've never done this before... ;p

Follow these steps:

Remove the SD card from your camera and put it in the card reader of your PC.
Extract the files from the firmware zip file that you have downloaded.
Copy the files PS.fir and Diskboot.bin into the root folder of your SD card.
Put the SD card back into the camera.
Start the camera in Play mode.
Press the Menu button.
Go to the new menu entry "Firm Update" (usually, it's the last option in the menu).
Select that function and confirm that you want to update with "OK". (If you don't see that option in the menu, then either you didn't correctly copy the files to the SD memory card, or you didn't start your camera directly into playback mode)
The camera will now reboot (in about 1-2 seconds), the blue LED on your camera will blink once and a splash screen will appear.
If the camera hangs or is switched off during updating process and/or does not respond to the power button, then this means that this CHDK program is not compatible with your camera firmware. If that happens, don't worry! Just open up the battery compartment and remove the batteries to turn the camera off, stick them back in and everything should be fine.

or... (newbie way using Card Tricks, Windows only and up to 4GB cards)

Remove the SD card from your camera and put it in the card reader of your PC.
Download and install Card Tricks (http://www.zshare.net/download/18225585b9ff990c/).
Open the application and select the CARD's DRIVE, when asked. (pay attention: is the drive corresponding to the SD memory card!)
Click the Format as FAT button, read and accepted the notice.
Click the Make Bootable button, read and accepted the notice.
Download the ZIP file with the CHDK version of your choice. If you don't know, just press the Download CHDK button and pick your camera model ZIP file. Just remember where you saved it!
Click the CHDK binary button and point to the ZIP file you downloaded.
Remove the card from the card reader.
Lock the card! (that is, flip the "lock" switch on the SD card) This is required! Don't worry - you will still be able to record pictures just fine.
Your card is now autoload and ready to use.
Place the write protected card back in camera and turn on. If everything went right the CHDK splash screen will blink.
This method uses a FAT16 file system, and is therefore limited to 4 Gb cards and smaller only. Some cameras can support the new SDHC (SD High Capacity) flash cards, which can go over 4 Gb.

If you have a card larger than 4 Gb, the solution is to "split" the formatting of the card into a FAT16 part and a FAT32 part.

To do this, do the following:

Manually partition the SD card with:
One (small) FAT16 partition; and
One (large) FAT32 partition
The FAT16 partition must be the first one on the card.
Install CHDK on to the FAT16 partition, as described above.
When using this system, CHDK will be able to autoload from the FAT16 part of the card. It will then automatically detect that you have a larger FAT32 partition, and direct the camera to store images and movies there on your behalf.

Thanks man, will try that! :)

BTW, anyone has good SD card to recommend?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.