Fuji E900

Status
Not open for further replies.

munwei

Nov 29, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
Hi all,

I bought a Fuji E900 on Monday to replace my Sony V1.

Was trying out the E900 and F11 for almost an hour at MS Colour. Good thing that Karen (the sales rep) was really patient.

Why I decided on the E900:
a) 9-MP instead of 6-MP (more pixels for cropping)
b) More powerful flash with flash exposure compensation
c) 4x optical zoom vs 3x
d) The images at ISO 200 seemed to be sharper (when zooming in using the LCD screens of both digicams)
e) Uses AAs
f) Speed-wise, both digicams are comparable

Was using the E900 during yesterday's public holiday and was quite pleased with the results -- colours were good and ISO noise was decent up to ISO400. ISO800 shots were noisy but acceptable for available light grab shots (of course cannot compare to DSLRs). Battery life was good too.

Perhaps other E900 users can share yr views?

Cheers!

MW

Ah, another Sony convert :) welcome to the Fuji family!
I almost got the E900 too while testing in MS Color but finally decided on the S5600 due to the stronger telephoto on the latter. But I'm sure the E900 is a freaking good camera (and compact too).

Now go out, shoot, and show us some photos! :cool:

how wide does the lens of the E900 go?

munwei said:
Hi all,

I bought a Fuji E900 on Monday to replace my Sony V1.

Was trying out the E900 and F11 for almost an hour at MS Colour. Good thing that Karen (the sales rep) was really patient.

Why I decided on the E900:
a) 9-MP instead of 6-MP (more pixels for cropping)
b) More powerful flash with flash exposure compensation
c) 4x optical zoom vs 3x
d) The images at ISO 200 seemed to be sharper (when zooming in using the LCD screens of both digicams)
e) Uses AAs
f) Speed-wise, both digicams are comparable

Was using the E900 during yesterday's public holiday and was quite pleased with the results -- colours were good and ISO noise was decent up to ISO400. ISO800 shots were noisy but acceptable for available light grab shots (of course cannot compare to DSLRs). Battery life was good too.

Perhaps other E900 users can share yr views?

Cheers!

MW

I have one to complement my S2 Pro, and find it to be both simple and fast to use. I find the manual control to be very useful.

Some of my shots taken with E900:
http://www.pbase.com/lhlim/image/52679311
http://www.pbase.com/lhlim/image/52477651
http://www.pbase.com/lhlim/image/52605470
http://www.pbase.com/lhlim/image/53079493
http://www.pbase.com/lhlim/image/53067533

Welcome to the minority club....

I got my E900 after testing F11 at MS. The overall feel won me over.
Been using it for over 3 wks and the results are great. The colours are natural but may be a bit dull for some. Will try out the F-chrome function as it pumps up the saturation. Not sure if there any difference if i shoot in F-standard then use PS to alter the saturation later?

One quirk I have is that when I zoom up to pixel size, the results are not good. Pics look really grainy as compared to my friend's Canon S2 IS, at same 5MP, ISO100,f and s settings. Reckon must be the DigicII processor...

Focusing is also a problem...though I believe its the phtographer not the camera...
Tried using it at Night Safari...total waste of time. Dim lightings shoot at high ISO but sacrifice quality...not a big fan of that. Brainwashed to think that should always shoot ISO100 or lower....anything over ISO200 might as well not take the pic since all u get is grainy pics. Any idea how to overcome this?

Am surprised that the grain is an issue for you.

I have compared the E900 at ISO 200 to my older Sony V1 at ISO 100, and the E900's image is actually cleaner + no moire problems.

Then again, the E900 cannot compare with my S2 DSLR.

I used to have a Canon G3 and the image was very clean at low ISO. Maybe DIGIC II is a miracle worker ... . ;)

Bugbears of the E900 are sluggish AF at low light + a few seconds flash recharge time. Then again, for its small form factor + reasonable price, it's good value for money.

MW

I too have the E-900 and I feel that it is good value for money. I like it for it's fast start up time as I use it mainly to take photos of my 3 1/2 year old daughter. And it also produces very realistic color tones for me without any post camera correction.

Here is an unposed snapshot of what I took.
DSCF0084.jpg

As you can see the colors are very vibrant off the camera and look realistic enough for me without any post camera editing. I am loving every minute I'm using this camera.

munwei said:
iso does not affect sharpness

how much does it cost you?

how does this compared to the Canon A620 / A540 / A700 .. any ideas ??? Thanks

Wouldn't the E900's lack of AF-assist light affect focusing in low light situation?

Yah, so it pretty much limits the camera in dimmer situations, so the high-ISO ability is partly wasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.