Fuji 2800z or Olympus C2040 or Minolta S304


Status
Not open for further replies.

midreef

New Member
Apr 3, 2002
31
0
0
Visit site
#1
Newbie here....

Looking @ the following models
a.) FujiFilm FinePix 2800z
Good optical zoom
Poor night shots
b.) Olympus C2040
Good day/nite shots
Noise issue ~ can be solved with firmware upgrade
c.) Minolta S304
Cheap 3Mpix DC for the price
Poor camera mounting point

Wodering anyone has anything else to add. Comments gathered generally from forums and reviews.

I am in favour of the FujiFilm 2800z because of the zoom features, but a little concern with the sensitivity @ ISO100 only, my budget is less than $700 for the camera. Need a simple model for starter. Anyone any other suitable models to add? Or possbility any pros and cons I have left out above.

Thanks....
 

Jayan

New Member
Jan 18, 2002
1,338
0
0
Hougang, SG
Visit site
#2
Originally posted by midreef
Newbie here....

Looking @ the following models
a.) FujiFilm FinePix 2800z
Good optical zoom
Poor night shots
b.) Olympus C2040
Good day/nite shots
Noise issue ~ can be solved with firmware upgrade
c.) Minolta S304
Cheap 3Mpix DC for the price
Poor camera mounting point

Wodering anyone has anything else to add. Comments gathered generally from forums and reviews.

I am in favour of the FujiFilm 2800z because of the zoom features, but a little concern with the sensitivity @ ISO100 only, my budget is less than $700 for the camera. Need a simple model for starter. Anyone any other suitable models to add? Or possbility any pros and cons I have left out above.

Thanks....
Olympus C-2040z is ideal for a beginner learning digital photography cos all the manual features + settings u need r there in the DC.

But if if don't wanna worry shutter spped, F-stop and stuffs...then the Fujifilm 2800 zoom is an excellent choice too with a pretty good feature set (esp. the big 6x optical zoom!!!!)... but nite shot capability is limited + there's no way to select ISO (anyway, at higher ISO there is more noise, no big loss).

IMHO, if u r a causal pix snapper then the Fj2800z will be a better choice cos ur family members can use it with ease as well...a waste to get the C-2040z if everything is set to AUTO 99.9% of the time...it'll not be doing it justice.

Either these...or hang on for the Canon A40...this baby has shutter speed control + selectable ISO....which will fit ur need for nite shots quite well.

Not familiar with the Minolta....sorrie, can't comment.
 

midreef

New Member
Apr 3, 2002
31
0
0
Visit site
#3
Originally posted by Jayan


Olympus C-2040z is ideal for a beginner learning digital photography cos all the features u need in there in the DC.

But if if don't wanna worry shutter spped, F-stop and stuffs...then the Fujifilm 2800 zoom is an excellent choice too with a pretty good feature set (esp. the big 6x optical zoom!!!!)... but nite shot capability is limited + there's no way to select ISO (anyway, at higher ISO there is more noise, no big loss).

Not familiar with the Minolta....sorrie, can't comment.
Yes, I have read some good reviews here about Olympus C2040. But I heard that this product is also about to be discontinued, will there be any warranty issues. A little concern as I read that there are a bit of noise issues with C2040 and the model needs firmware upgrade too...
 

Jayan

New Member
Jan 18, 2002
1,338
0
0
Hougang, SG
Visit site
#4
Originally posted by midreef


Yes, I have read some good reviews here about Olympus C2040. But I heard that this product is also about to be discontinued, will there be any warranty issues. A little concern as I read that there are a bit of noise issues with C2040 and the model needs firmware upgrade too...
No warranty issue, Olympus S'pore will still honor it's 12 months stndard warranty even if the product is discontinued.

Noise is present only in extended exposure shots....in most situations u won't notice it....anyway, a NR formware upgrade takes onli 1 day so what's the issue.
 

midreef

New Member
Apr 3, 2002
31
0
0
Visit site
#5
Originally posted by Jayan


No warranty issue, Olympus S'pore will still honor it's 12 months stndard warranty even if the product is discontinued.

Noise is present only in extended exposure shots....in most situations u won't notice it....anyway, a NR formware upgrade takes onli 1 day so what's the issue.
Thanks for the advice.
 

F

fcpga

Guest
#7
S304,

capture in its own colour space, need to convert to RGB, a bit troublesome

no shutter priority

Lens is F3-3.6 compared to F1.8 of C2040.
 

midreef

New Member
Apr 3, 2002
31
0
0
Visit site
#9
Originally posted by fcpga
S304,

capture in its own colour space, need to convert to RGB, a bit troublesome

no shutter priority

Lens is F3-3.6 compared to F1.8 of C2040.
i c. Thanks.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom