Fuel Consumption???

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow, shadus, u seem to know a lot about cars. i'm looking to buy one, dunno shd go for brand new or 2nd hand. dun intend to sell in near future, so not so concerned about resale value. the thing is i dun wan to get more exp car then pay more on installments, cos the interest rate is a killer. so thinking get korean made cars...

1. cheaper, as u've mentioned. so no need to pay so much on interest.
2. transfer the savings to pay for additional petrol (compared to jap cars).
3. installments plus petrol overall still cheaper than the installments of a jap car.
4. so that certain mths of my job when i dun drive so much, i dun need to pay the heavy installments as compared to a jap car.
5. it's more like a pay as u drive concept.

am i on the right track? ;)

actually I used to think like you, and owned a Korean car previously. I regretted after driving it about 2 yrs when the air-con compressor spoilt, the car alarm system go 'siao', and I ended up paying MORE with repair costs and super high depreciation that hurt my pocket. So I took the bitter medicine and sold the car away at a loss. On hindsight I would have done better to get a slightly more expensive car than go through all this.

I drive a Hyundai coupe, so far so good, not much regret. It is kind of fun because there are not many around, be it on the roads or in the carparks. :cool:

no, dunno much about cars.
but we're all in the same rat race, hence, we probably encounter the same situations now and then, needing similar decision-making :p

korean cars hv bad reputation for reliability in the past.
but seems like these 2 yrs, they've improved. u do need to take note of reliability becoz these are additional cost of ownership

i really hope korean cars have improved the past 2 years. my gf's father drives a sonata, almost 2 years liao, still no big issues with car, no repairs needed yet... except fuel consumption a bit high. but his is a 2L engine... so i think no complain lah. haha.

another fren complain that hyundai car air-con colder than most other cars he has driven. haha.

no flaming of cos. all different opinions should be welcome with open arms.

I did come across a personal webpage comparing cheap korean car + expensive fuel with expensive jap car + cheap fuel. cant remember where, the author did do a intensive calculation base on 5 years. And it came out cheap korean is more AFFORDABLE and economic. but author drives a jap car though.:bsmilie:

Buying things i would say is based on LUCK.
Some people's Sony TV, used 10-20 yrs also no spoil but some pple's Sony TV spoiled in less than 6 mths.

Actually in case some of you are not aware.
Most Japanese cars are now made in Thailand, that includes Toyota, Honda, etc. It is not likely to find Made-In-Japan Japanese cars in Singapore nowadays. Ask your agents they can tell you more. :D

Originally posted by Astin
Actually in case some of you are not aware.
Most Japanese cars are now made in Thailand, that includes Toyota, Honda, etc. It is not likely to find Made-In-Japan Japanese cars in Singapore nowadays. Ask your agents they can tell you more. :D

yah my service rep told me which specific models were made where etc. actually I feel there isn't much diff b/n the cars except maybe for the interiors which are not as nice/well-built as compared to the made-in-japan models. :angel:

Well, Audi TTs are manufactured in Hungary :)

And seriously, if you want fuel consumption, migrate. Then you can buy a diesel car, have great fun driving, get 20km+ to the litre, and pay less for diesel compared to petrol. Unless you live in the UK that is...

How else can you get 150bhp, more torque than a Porsche Boxster, and 50+mpg* :bsmilie:

Oh, and a few cheap mods here and there, and make that 180bhp...

Alternatively you can get a leisurely diesel that still drives fun, especially in town, and 60+mpg**

* 52.3mpg on the combined cycle, approx 5.4l/100km. Example VW Golf 1.9 GT TDI 150

** 64mpg on the combined cycle, approx 4.41l/100km. Example Audi A2 1.4 TDI

Good grief, I could be a car salesman :)

I drive a Hyundai Matrix, and I must say that the quality has improved tremendously and is definately a value for money. Do take note that the fuel consumption is relatively higher compared to Jap cars. but the affordability definately makes up for it.
So far, no regrets driving this car, and will continue to drive for at least a couple of yrs more.

I have made some comparisions with others who drive japanese cars, and have come up with some subjective conclusions that Hondas (only aware of the Civic and Fit) and Mitsubishis (GDI engines) tend to be fuel efficient. Don't know much about Toyota (Corolla) but I have heard that it can be quite fuel efficient (although it is not a car you can rev a lot). Nissan (Sunny) and Subaru (Impreza, especially with AWS) gulps down the most petrol. No impression of Mazda (323) though.

As for Korean cars, I don't really like them, at least not Kia or Daewoo. You have to drive one to know.

Diesel! I'm serious :)

I just got 1000km out of my 55l tank, and I'm sure I could have run it further too :)

Now all it takes is for the Singapore government to change their minds RE diesel policy. It's a bit like digital and film really... one's far better than the other but resistance to change can be a stumbling block!

They're better for the environment too, and just to keep things Japanese, the Honda Civic CTDI gets 56.5mpg.

Originally posted by redman2
hi

hows the fuel consumption of hyundai matrix 1.6 auto and getz 1.3 auto? anyone with any experience with this two cars? which one better in terms of value for money. pls advise... thks.

In terms of fuel consumption, I believe it is 10-11KM/L for the matrix. I think it should be the same for my elantra as they share the same engine. Jump to

http://forums.delphiforums.com/HMCC/start

Lots of Hyundai drivers there.

If you can wait, I believe hyundai is launching its next series of cars with their new beta engines. Rumoured to have all the vvti equivalent and as fuel efficient. It's all there in the forum. I think Matrix is the 3rd best selling car in Singapore, probably alot of people think it is a good buy.

Originally posted by foxfire
In terms of fuel consumption, I believe it is 10-11KM/L for the matrix. I think it should be the same for my elantra as they share the same engine. Jump to

http://forums.delphiforums.com/HMCC/start

Lots of Hyundai drivers there.

If you can wait, I believe hyundai is launching its next series of cars with their new beta engines. Rumoured to have all the vvti equivalent and as fuel efficient. It's all there in the forum. I think Matrix is the 3rd best selling car in Singapore, probably alot of people think it is a good buy.

Yes Matrix is very spacious. Fuel consumption varies from driver to driver and style. Average before run in, can be 9-9.5km/l, after run in is abt 9.5-10.5km/l. Some ppl add mods (grounding, TurboIn, etc) can get 11-12km/l. Can check out http://drive.to/clubmatrix
The engine is same as elantra, but the body is much heavier at 1500kg. So consume more fuel

Originally posted by Jed
Diesel! I'm serious :)

I just got 1000km out of my 55l tank, and I'm sure I could have run it further too :)

Now all it takes is for the Singapore government to change their minds RE diesel policy. It's a bit like digital and film really... one's far better than the other but resistance to change can be a stumbling block!

They're better for the environment too, and just to keep things Japanese, the Honda Civic CTDI gets 56.5mpg.

you know, tht would take a huge chunk of income from petrol tax :bsmilie:

and oh, they're clean alrite. except for one tiny thing call nitrogen oxides. this is what creates smog and is believe to be one of the cause of lung cancer.

IMO it is more or less the same if u are just a simple end user of a car. The only main concern will be fuel consumption. However, if u are the more discerning user, you will certainly look into other factors when choosing a Hyundai or a Toyota.

Engine specs and chasis design, the 2 most important parts of a car's design. If u compare the specs, you can clearly tell that the Toyota Corolla is way way way ahead in terms of its design and build technology. The engine is more efficient and yet at the same time churning out more horses. Take the car for a test drive and you can immediately tell the difference in handling characteristics. This again is a clear sign of the clear technological superiority of the Toyota to the Hyundai.

Compare a Sonata and a Camry and the difference is even more distinct. My experiences with the Camry 2.4L engine that can consistently do 11 KM/L under quite horrendous driving conditions is simply amazing.

So before you buy the car ask yourself if u are going for value, quality or price. The equation is simple, just think of it as comparing SLR brands, only now that u have a brand that is slightly more superior in terms of R&D. Always remember, any parent company that has a F1 team or luxury brand under its belt will almost certainly produce cars that are superior to its other counterparts. FYI, Toyota has already benefitted alot from the spill over technology from Lexus.

Anyway, the choice is ultimately yours cos the money's yours!! Think about it and make a choice that you will not regret 3 years down the road.

given similar class of cars, fuel consumption does not figure prominently into the affordability. Interest rate is a significant contributor to the TOC (total cost of ownership) but many people tend to overlook this.

You calculate TOC by taking all cost, other than operating cost such as fuel and wear & tear, so this would include your capital depreciation (purchase minus scrap), interest cost, insurance, etc. You can do this with a spreadsheet, you will quickly notice that the longer your loan period, the monthly TOC increases significantly, and which is of course tied to your loan quantum.

So for a new car vs a used car, with the same capital depreciation, the new car will cost more because you need to pay more for the new car, thus take a bigger loan, even though at some future point you will get some of those capital back as scrap or resale value. The primary problem is you have to finance it through the years. This is a favourite trick of car salesmen (or perhaps they're not even aware of it), so do your sums are look at the bottom line. Don't worry about fuel consumption red herring.

but in case it is of any interest, as I am a fanatic mileage monitor (I plot my consumption on a chart :D )

All of my cars have been 2 litre ones, all with electronic engine management except the first. The observation is that all returned roughly the same mileage except the first one which does not have engine management. That car, a 1981 Celica 2.0 XT, can do anything between 5km/l (traffic jam) to 12km/l (North-South Highway).

Everything else managed 8-10km/l, even a manic car like the 1988 Alfa 75 Twinspark managed 8.5km/l which of course there is only one way to drive that car, 1st gear 50kmph, 2nd gear 80kmph, 3rd gear 110kmph :devil:

All my readings are taken from the odometer and fuel volume pumped, over the last 10 years, gives an accurate averaged real life driving consumption rate. :)

hey, just came across this thread and thot might as well to tag along this question:

Ford Focus or Subaru Impreza??

me can't decide which to get...seems like both has its pros and cons in terms of fuel consumption, engine made and resale value...price value-wise, both are of the same price...me newbie to car...can someone advise which to get??....tks...:devil: :devil:

Originally posted by shaann
hey, just came across this thread and thot might as well to tag along this question:

Ford Focus or Subaru Impreza??

me can't decide which to get...seems like both has its pros and cons in terms of fuel consumption, engine made and resale value...price value-wise, both are of the same price...me newbie to car...can someone advise which to get??....tks...:devil: :devil:

Go test-drive both cars - it'll be easier to make your decision then. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.