Fs 4000

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe DMax is talking about the dynamic range?

Oh, as usual, I've put my foot in my mouth. A pretty good explaination of the dmax and dyn (what I thought it was) can be found here.

Originally posted by skaven
Hi,

I was browsing the net for a film scanner when I came across this article.

http://discuss.extremetech.com/n/main.asp?webtag=extremetech&nav=messages&msg=5363.3

It says that the Canon FS 4000 has got a DMax of 4.2 when used in a 42-bit scan. Otherwise, at 24-bit, it is 3.4.

Interesting ...

Anyone can comment on that?

Thanks.

From your other threads, I can see you're planning to get a film scanner...wat's your budget? Have you considered Nikon's Coolscan IV ED? Don't be mistaken, I'm not a Nikon user ;)

hi,

Yes, I'm thinking of getting a film scanner soon. As I doubt i will need prints greater than 5R from the digital images (maybe an 8R occasionally, but so far, I've only printed in 8R once), I figured a 2700dpi scanner will suffice.

The Nikon IV looks good enough, but when I matched it against the drange of the Canon, it fades away. I'm going to investigate some scanners from Minolta. The Elite II could fit my needs.

Cheers!

hi,

Yes, I'm thinking of getting a film scanner soon. As I doubt i will need prints greater than 5R from the digital images (maybe an 8R occasionally, but so far, I've only printed in 8R once), I figured a 2700dpi scanner will suffice.

The Nikon IV looks good enough, but when I matched it against the drange of the Canon, it fades away. I'm going to investigate some scanners from Minolta. The Elite II could fit my needs.

Cheers!

Some References:

Cathay quote:
Minolta Dimage Scan Elite II @ S$1,750.00
Nikon Coolscan IV ED S$1200.00

Alan Photo quote:
Nikon Coolscan IV ED S$1100.00

;)

Thanks for the info extreme2. Didn't know the Elite II is that costly.

Do you know where to find the ScanWit from Acer?

I'm working on a budget of about SGD 1K ++, would try not to stretch that ++ too far ;-) Guess I do not have much choices left.

Cheers!

Cheers!

Ah good, so you're comparing how good your photos are going to turn out based on numbers? Numbers from manufacturers, no less?

Yes,

When you get so many differing opinions, plus the sales climate in which we live in (the sales folks are not too keen on showing you the products), those numbers are the only thing that I can fall back on.

That said, with my budget, I'll probably go for the Nikon IV or the Acer (if I can land my hands on).

Cheers!

Yes,

When you get so many differing opinions, plus the sales climate in which we live in (the sales folks are not too keen on showing you the products), those numbers are the only thing that I can fall back on.

That said, with my budget, I'll probably go for the Nikon IV or the Acer (if I can land my hands on).

Cheers!

Go for Coolscan IV; there is quite a sizeable user group here in Clubsnap! ;)

Hi Adam,

Is there a Yahoo eGroups on the Coolscan IV? I'd love to hear more about this scanner. I called up Cathay and they quoted me SGD 1500 for this scanner. The Canon FS 4000 is SGD 1800 but out-of-stock.

Wow. That's quite a lot of difference from the price extreme2 gave me. Don't tell me prices of electronic products went up. Hmm ...

BTW, I've been requesting eQuotes from Cathay. Seems like they have stopped responding to requests from the NET.

Status
Not open for further replies.