frustrated with 2nd hand buyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayDream

Nov 12, 2005
I am recently selling my backup camera, would like to share some interesting stories and interesting people out there.

I decided to release the phone number for seller to watch out for these people. Seller beware!

81832365:
exchanged more than 10 sms to answer his queries, he decided to buy, then suddenly cancel a day before we meet.

LOL! Some swedish guy who compared the price with his hometown, write a whole essay about why should I give him lower price. After negotiated with the price, confirmed meeting, then suddenly decided to buy another camera.

+628161962709
OMG this is one unique funny buyer. After asking me for best price, he replied: 'Price acceptable with my budget'. Hello? Am I a salesman trying to persuade you to buy? He requested for more pictures although I posted some on forum, then say want pic so he can close deal. After he view the pic, he said 'Cam reserved, for sunday'. Hello? Are you reserving the camera or I reserve the camera for you? Luckily another buyer confirmed before he replied. I really don't feel like selling to him.
After I told him its reserved for someone else, he said '2 bad u didn't tell me some1 will c u today. Otherwise I will ask my sist 2 c u 2day'. Do I want to see your sister? I replied '2 bad u confirm too late. Have a nice day'.

Okay this seem like a nice family guy. I met him. He is a bit uncertain about how to use, so I explained and showed him. I gave him a much reduced price coz I feel he's a nice guy who just want to try out his first DSLR. He showed interest, saying thats the price he's looking for. Then show me his purse he got no cash, asking if he can go withdraw and come back. I told him no problem.
An hour later, he said 'not buying, sorry'. I replied '?', he said he 'dunno how to use'. #$%^&* If dunno will you please stop wasting everybody's time? I am an environmentalist and you are wasting fuel to drive the whole family down to view.

initially showed interest and said he's sincere buyer after reading my post complaining those who back out last minute. after patiently reply all his queries, he suddenly give me a super low ball price at 200 bucks for a 2 year old DSLR. what is this? I reply him nicely that he should got for first generation DSLR.

sigh.....:dunno: am I being to nice to answer and entertain everyone? Somebody please teach me how to be a bas**rd.

Last edited:
I am recently selling my backup camera, would like to share some interesting stories and interesting people out there.

I decided to release the phone number for seller to watch out for these people. Seller beware!

81832365:
exchanged more than 10 sms to answer his queries, he decided to buy, then suddenly cancel a day before we meet.

LOL! Some swedish guy who compared the price with his hometown, write a whole essay about why should I give him lower price. After negotiated with the price, confirmed meeting, then suddenly decided to buy another camera.

+628161962709
OMG this is one unique funny buyer. After asking me for best price, he replied: 'Price acceptable with my budget'. Hello? Am I a salesman trying to persuade you to buy? He requested for more pictures although I posted some on forum, then say want pic so he can close deal. After he view the pic, he said 'Cam reserved, for sunday'. Hello? Are you reserving the camera or I reserve the camera for you? Luckily another buyer confirmed before he replied. I really don't feel like selling to him.
After I told him its reserved for someone else, he said '2 bad u didn't tell me some1 will c u today. Otherwise I will ask my sist 2 c u 2day'. Do I want to see your sister? I replied '2 bad u confirm too late. Have a nice day'.

Okay this seem like a nice family guy. I met him. He is a bit uncertain about how to use, so I explained and showed him. I gave him a much reduced price coz I feel he's a nice guy who just want to try out his first DSLR. He showed interest, saying thats the price he's looking for. Then show me his purse he got no cash, asking if he can go withdraw and come back. I told him no problem.
An hour later, he said 'not buying, sorry'. I replied '?', he said he 'dunno how to use'. #$%^&* If dunno will you please stop wasting everybody's time? I am an environmentalist and you are wasting fuel to drive the whole family down to view.

initially showed interest and said he's sincere buyer after reading my post complaining those who back out last minute. after patiently reply all his queries, he suddenly give me a super low ball price at 200 bucks for a 2 year old DSLR. what is this? I reply him nicely that he should got for first generation DSLR.

sigh.....:dunno: am I being to nice to answer and entertain everyone? Somebody please teach me how to be a bas**rd.

Relax.... just be cool.... there are funny people everywhere.... ;)

Since when doing business is easy..... no wonder our local service staffs face are always "BLACK"!!!! hahah... :D

Last edited:
so many handphone numbers... i check tonight 4D got or not...:bsmilie:

These type of crap comes with the territory. If you want to play the game, you have to be prepared to face such "interesting" happenings.

I also have my fair share of strange, frustrating, low ballers, no shows, accommodating & lastly nice people.

If you are in the game long enough, you will gradually get used to it. But if it is too much for you to bear, don't get yourself involved in this type of trade. Save yourself the mental torture. :)

aiya, it happens everywhere la.

the thing is, singapore is small, so everyone does meetups.

overseas, less chance to meet up, and exchange is usually done with something vaguely resembling a contract, via ebay or the like.. quite different from b&s.. so people think it is ok to play others.

anyways, seller fly buyer kite also, buyer fly seller kite is also something to be expected.. :) just do what you are willing to do, and be happy when you get a good buyer or seller, i guess. :) life's too short to dwell on unhappy events.

By the way, what the body you are selling? Seem that you really had a bad roll..... You sure you did not offend someone they are getting back at you?

Thanks for posting this. It was a fun read. There are indeed quite a number of funny buyers out there. But I have been quite fortunate in that those that I have transacted with are actually quite nice and reasonable people. Here are some of my more interesting experience :

1. The bargain-down-the-price-at-every-opportunity guy

This is the guy that will call you and ask for a lower price. U agree to a lowered price after some back and forth. At the meeting place, he will bargain on the price again to an even lower one even though he cannot find anything wrong with the item. These are the ones you gotta mark up your price. It appears that they are more interested in getting a successful bargain instead of looking at the price itself.

I guess that is why it can be tough in sales. And I can understand why salesman out there have to mark up their prices so much, to deal with people like that.

After reading your stories. I feel that everyone have their own budget and priorities to consider. If $ is not a concern, then no one would buy used gears. Everyone will be wanting the latest and the "bestest". So if you think about the other side of the story, some of them may be wanting a camera real bad and am struggling between priorities.

Of course there are those that are out to get a cheap bargain. These are the real funny pple. I too have my fair share of stories. The mentality of some of these bargain hunters are that they are doing you a favour by buying your stuff.

Anyway, as long as you did not get cheated, I guess it is an eye-opener to see the different people in society.

buyers can be too

went for some meet ups...

found that most sellers' overstate their items' conditions

some say mint: but more like 9
some say 10: come on, only bo derek & brad pitt does a 10
some say lowballers stay away: but come on.... asking price higher than brand new :eek:

just to name a few

so what's there to be frustrate; it's not like your hubby is leaving u for another man

haiz

aiya, it happens everywhere la.

the thing is, singapore is small, so everyone does meetups.

overseas, less chance to meet up, and exchange is usually done with something vaguely resembling a contract, via ebay or the like.. quite different from b&s.. so people think it is ok to play others.

anyways, seller fly buyer kite also, buyer fly seller kite is also something to be expected.. :) just do what you are willing to do, and be happy when you get a good buyer or seller, i guess. :) life's too short to dwell on unhappy events.

But in the small cities or towns, people still do meet up to buy and sell stuff. But typically, at least in the USA, they very rarely ask for discount. Usually the asking price is the selling price. Occasionally, they will just ask "What is your bottom dollar?". They are too courteous to go and give a potentially low ball figure. If ur price is too high, nobody calls.

Also, the buyer GOES to the seller, usually the seller's home or workplace. No seller will travel to make a sale. And there is no such thing as a seller travelling to meet for a view.

81832365:

Actually, I think the above situations are quite common. The Buyers can be quite frivolous. That is why, sellers should not reserve any item for anyone until money has been transacted or if they know the buyer personally and consider their word to be trustworthy. I would say there is a 60-70% chance that a potential buyer will back out of the deal for various reasons eventually. Either no time, work, changed mind etc etc.

But in the small cities or towns, people still do meet up to buy and sell stuff. But typically, at least in the USA, they very rarely ask for discount. Usually the asking price is the selling price. Occasionally, they will just ask "What is your bottom dollar?". They are too courteous to go and give a potentially low ball figure. If ur price is too high, nobody calls.

Also, the buyer GOES to the seller, usually the seller's home or workplace. No seller will travel to make a sale. And there is no such thing as a seller travelling to meet for a view.

Those are some things not commonly observed here. There are more buyers who ask for significant discounts and want sellers to meet at their convenience than the opposite. Why should I travel to the buyer's place just to sell a $15 item?

best is the new thread up not too long ago on 4/3 bns..

he wana trade of his e30 for a e620 !!

Aiyah....maybe a used E30 for a newER E620??

But I think the most low class situation I have ever faced was with an acquaintance. Agreed on a price to buy. And the price was quite fair because a few other people have actually offered to buy at a slightly higher price. Wanted to meet at some way out place - drive like 30 minutes to get there. Then at the meetup place, low balled the price. Wah lao eh....this kind also got. This did not happen to me but to a friend of mine who was dealing with the acquaintance. Of course, the lowball price did not work cos my friend was willing to walk away from that deal. But it was worth it - u finally see the person's character.

wow I never expect this would interest so many ppl out here, guess who all share something in common haha.

well there's an end to this story: I just sold the camera with another guy, according to him, whom has been interested to the thread, but nv msg me because I posted it was reserved. He did his homework on the cam, check physically, no question asked and pay the asking price.

I straight away give him the discounted price that all previous 5 buyers asked for! I am glad that the camera is in good hand now.

this is the trust all buyers and sellers should have.

So far, i have not experience such complicated problem yet......

thanks of sharing your experience, i guess you will meet a good man soon!

buyers can be too

went for some meet ups...

found that most sellers' overstate their items' conditions

some say mint: but more like 9
some say 10: come on, only bo derek & brad pitt does a 10
some say lowballers stay away: but come on.... asking price higher than brand new :eek:

Agree with you here. There is some subjectivity here despite the clear guidelines. There are some sellers who have stuff for like 5-6 months, and have used it before, and still dare to put as MINT in their BnS. Maybe more like BS. And yet, on the other hand, there are sellers who only have the thing for less than 1 month, and if no other problems, can be near mint, give themselves a 10 for their item. But whatever the case, no one should call a used item MINT, particularly if it has been used or been in ownership for a number of months, unless, the item only been used once and has been in the box and stored properly during that time.

After reading your stories. I feel that everyone have their own budget and priorities to consider. If $ is not a concern, then no one would buy used gears. Everyone will be wanting the latest and the "bestest". So if you think about the other side of the story, some of them may be wanting a camera real bad and am struggling between priorities.

Of course there are those that are out to get a cheap bargain. These are the real funny pple. I too have my fair share of stories. The mentality of some of these bargain hunters are that they are doing you a favour by buying your stuff.

Anyway, as long as you did not get cheated, I guess it is an eye-opener to see the different people in society.

I think these people simply have no ethnic, nor honor... no pride and respect for anyone... I do find some Singaporean rather Cheapo... if you cannot afford it, then, you should just save up for it... and if you agreed to a price, stick to it....

But if you wanna inspect the item first before paying that agreed price, it should be mentioned in advance. And some people... do not understand what is mint... what is etc...

All are pretty dishonest for the sake of paying lesser, or earning more.....

I do think that we do have a national issue..... what have our education system achieved in developing???

People without integrity? Dishonest... CC Fraud??? sigh....

Status
Not open for further replies.