From USB 1.1 to 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

West_ray

Feb 10, 2003
Yishun
galleries.photonx.org.
Recently i bought a PCMCIA USB 2.0 card for my laptop, which originally uses USB 1.1. But when i was using the PCMCIA card to transfer files, the speed does not increase significantly. Btw, my laptop can detect the PCMCIA card.

May i know what is the prob? :sweatsm:

I don't get it, what do you mean original use USB1.1? :dunno:

West_ray said:
Recently i bought a PCMCIA USB 2.0 card for my laptop, which originally uses USB 1.1. But when i was using the PCMCIA card to transfer files, the speed does not increase significantly. Btw, my laptop can detect the PCMCIA card.

May i know what is the prob? :sweatsm:

depends on the device u attached is optimized anot... also see your laptop resources

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
depends on the device u attached is optimized anot... also see your laptop resources
my laptop is damn slow...... amd duron 1.1ghz with 256 ram only ... but, shouldnt at least the transfer rates to speed up since i've upgraded from usb 1.1 to 2?

Did you buy a USB 2.0 "Full speed" instead of a USB2.0 "Hi-Speed" part?

West_ray said:
my laptop is damn slow...... amd duron 1.1ghz with 256 ram only ... but, shouldnt at least the transfer rates to speed up since i've upgraded from usb 1.1 to 2?

If I'm not wrong your 1.1GHz duron does not support usb 2.0; you may want to check it out. What is your OS? I remember that your OS also must be supportive of usb 2.0; pls correct me if I'm wrong from our many CS-member helpdesk folks. :embrass:

Buying a USB 2.0 PCMCIA and using it on your notebook will not give you 2.0 throughput. The is because your motherboard cannot handle 2.0 in the first place. Just like on a pc attaching a USB 2.0 device will not make it go at full 2.0.

USB 2.0 "Full speed" is actually USB 1.1

jbma said:
Buying a USB 2.0 PCMCIA and using it on your notebook will not give you 2.0 throughput. The is because your motherboard cannot handle 2.0 in the first place. Just like on a pc attaching a USB 2.0 device will not make it go at full 2.0.
mine is a compaq presario laptop, i've contacted HP regarding this matter. They said getting a third party PCMCIA card helps.

mine OS is Win XP original .

i guess i will try to contact HP again. tks~!

jbma said:

Not true.
Its just like inserting a USB2.0 controllor card onto a normal PC, you will gain the full benefits of that controller. The bandwidth through the PCMCIA interface is far greater than what USB2.0 is capable of.

The only issue here is whether the devices he's using are actually capable of USB2 highspeed transfer, or he simply bought a USB2.0 Fullspeed part instead.

this is the description of the pcmcia that i bought.

- Quick & easy installation
- Compliant with USB specification revision 2.0
- Compliant with OHCI ver 1.0A and EHCI ver 0.95
- Fully forward and backward compatible with USB 1.1
- Automatically switches to the peripheral's highest supported speed
- Provides 4 external type-A USB ports and 1 external DC power jack
- Output current per port =500mA (max)
- Supports up to 127 devices
- Supports transfer rate of 1.5 / 12 / 480 Mbps
- Supports 32 bit CardBus Type II slots

Function/ application +
- 4 x USB type A (5VDC @ 500mA per port)
- Transfer rate 1.5 / 12 / 480 Mbps (bits per second)
- USB 2.0 and 1.1 compatible
- NEC Chipset

System Requirement
- Notebook with PCMCIA Type II cardbus slot
- Windows 98 / 98SE / ME / 2000

Which version of Windows are you using? If I remember right, only WinXP SP2 supports USB2.0. For my desktop, even after updating to SP2, I remembered I had to remove the old USB1 drivers before WinXP will redetect and reinstall the USB2.0 drivers.

Also is the device attached to the USB controller (eg flash memory) a USB 1.0 or USB2.0 device?

USB2.0 will only be supported on SP1, SP1A or SP2 for those on Windows XP
If you are only running XP alone with service pack, you need to an OS update.

Although the device you bought met the system requirement but it will run at usb1 speed instead of usb2 speed if the OS does not support it or you are without the required driver.

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;312370

linse said:
Which version of Windows are you using? If I remember right, only WinXP SP2 supports USB2.0. For my desktop, even after updating to SP2, I remembered I had to remove the old USB1 drivers before WinXP will redetect and reinstall the USB2.0 drivers.

Also is the device attached to the USB controller (eg flash memory) a USB 1.0 or USB2.0 device?
attached device is 2.0, minolta dual 3 and creative cd rw.

dominator said:
USB2.0 will only be supported on SP1, SP1A or SP2 for those on Windows XP
If you are only running XP alone with service pack, you need to an OS update.

Although the device you bought met the system requirement but it will run at usb1 speed instead of usb2 speed if the OS does not support it or you are without the required driver.

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;312370
mine is SP2 . just did an win update check again and confirmed mine is SP2. sian 1/2 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.