From the heights at night

kane-rulez

Jun 23, 2011
Singapore-
1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Composition, and technique

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Wish to capture the part view of construction site that is surrounded by bustling traffic andcity outline etc, but on a Sunday evening when they have stopped working.Wanted to keep the trees as silhouette
3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Have not been shooting for over a month, as i have broken my right hand and am still in a cast. frustrating that i recently got serious about it and then i broke my hand. Managed to get my heavy tripod opened, mounted the camera with grip, painful but still managed it. could not really tilt the camera more as cant do it with one hand. took me 40 mins to just mount the camera.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

Think there is lots more that i could do with the picture but not sure whats missing, only one immediate thing i noticed was i got to many dark trees on the right. so looking for tips on technique or composition that could make this picture better

Have used a D7k with a 50 mm 1.4 d lens. had a Hoya HD uv filter on it but got green and purple ghosts so removed it and took picture again. Exif details embedded in the image
.No post processing done except converting the image from raw to jpg with Nikon view nx.

dsc0434a.jpg

By kane_rulez at 2012-06-24

Hi there,

Hope you are doing well now,
Not sure how long the exposure is, but I feel the street is over exposed due it's heavy lights. Try using black card or waive your hand in front of the lens so that you can avoid too much of light.

As composition matter, I would try taking this in vertical position, so that tower can be seen and bridge can be avoided.

Hope this helps.

Well i am still in my cast, and seems ill be in it for two more weeks.

I tried to put the camera vertical. but too painful. maybe ill try again. i get the thing about the vertical shot, now that i think of it yes that should be more interesting. also do you guys think that the trees if they were greener (visible) then the picture would look better than this ? ill do the black card thing.

I feel so dumb right now. Simple things if i would have paid attention too would have made so much a difference.

please redo.

your composition failed. i dunno what I should be looking in this photo to be frank. but that bright sparkle of street light on the top right did caught my attention. this photo looks too snap shot.

2 cts worth:

1) 50mm might be too tight as everything seemed cramp up altogether.

2) too much dark/shadow area on the right, does not balance well with the highlight areas.

3) the tower on the top left was cut off.

4) composition is on the weak side, i was trying to find a focus point to look at but could not find any. the lines(road) led to nowhere, ending abruptly in the mid-frame.

5) imo, you could have shoot it earlier during the blue hour, to catch the royal blue sky.

maybe you should get well first before attempting to shoot again. health is more important, without it, there is nothing you can do.

wish you a speedy recovery! :)

Yep redo definitely i will. All points noted :) at least now i have a starting point of what to do and what not too. So back to the drawing board. Appreciate the inputs.

Takeaway from this is that the next picture i take should have something that draws attention to and holds it there. I should choose better time to shoot the picture. Not keep too much dark spaces.

Let me try taking a picture with my old Olympus Sp-500uz point and shoot.(its much lighter and wider than 50mm) and post a new one. and you guys can let me know if i made any improvements or i still suck.

Ive been at home for almost 4 weeks and have been out 3 times to the doctor and 3 times for lunch. and it was driving me mad. another two weeks for the cast to come off (phew) Thank you for the get well soon wishes.

I don't see any construction site?!?
Since you have difficulties for now, why not spend more time figuring out better angles and composition than forcing yourself to take less than optimal shots?
:)

Nice sharpness for a night scene. I like the feeling of the lights in the forest. While on the road it seemed to be too bright, even the light curve is overlapping too much. What is more, the color of sky might be more vivid if you take the photo at golden hour after sunset. And the wireless base station at top left of the photo is cut, which might be a tiny flaw.

Nice sharpness for a night scene. I like the feeling of the lights in the forest. While on the road it seemed to be too bright, even the light curve is overlapping too much. What is more, the color of sky might be more vivid if you take the photo at golden hour after sunset. And the wireless base station at top left of the photo is cut, which might be a tiny flaw.

yep i may try giving it a go again this weekend. Thanks everyone for your input.