From the corner of my door

Status
Not open for further replies.

jelimon

Jan 22, 2007
greens growing from the cracks of my backyard door. C&C pls, and thanks!

greensatmydoorstep.jpg

nice greens, interesting textural variety, but needs an element of contrast, eg something red, or something very different texture and shape, or a beam of light, etc etc, to give the picture a focal point. The grey pillar is not effective here in this respect. Also looks soft and out of focus.

thanks! the pillar (or doorframe) is originally reddish but I PSed the colour out. Will go back tonite n put it back in n post the modified version again.

greens growing from the cracks of my backyard door. C&C pls, and thanks!

when i read that phrase i thought you had a bad case of fungal infection :bigeyes:

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: i'm a very clean girl hor, always wipe up after myself.

this was taken in the morning abt 8+. following espion's suggestions, would it be better to choose another timing when the morning or evening sun's rays hit the weeds? I do get that kind of lighting in the backyard from time to time

I find this picture hard to critique, possibly because there is a harrowing array of lines, curves and straights taking place all over the image.

But then again, people are drawn to the obvious in the picture, and it is what the obvious attracts them in a picture. I yet cannot understand the message behind the picture, and I am only restrainted to commenting on technicalities.

well. I think the door is quite an interesting frame to play with, perhaps using it to experiment with the composition would produce more rewarding results. There is good textural showcase on the leaves, so this is a good point of the picture. Try taking the photo from the ground, not facing up per se but rather looking straight on.

This is a picture with good dimensional possiblities.

thanks for the comments xiaoming!
I wasn't thinking so much of a story to tell, but rather to show the contrast in textures between the leaves and the rough door frame. was also experimenting with colour adjustments and hue/saturations in PS.

will bear in mind your suggestions (as well as espion's) when i do the same spot again over the weekend. BTW, this is somewhere in katong also... ;)

OK...updated version with the red put back in.
greensatmydoorstepwithmorered.jpg

eh xiao ming - my location in tanjong katong. but i shy shy, don't dare ask pple out leh :eek:

Are the green leaves saturated in ps? looks abit saturated to me..not sure just wondering

yep, i deliberately saturated the colour. Any comments on that? showed some of my frns n they said it does look a little unreal.

LOL first time I heard of ppl call me xiao ming...

if you see a young kid stalking you with a white 70-200 in board daylight, that's probably me. HAHAHA.

OPPS!!!! my bad - dunno y, my eyes keep seeing xiao ming... heng ar, i usu not home during the day :bsmilie:

yep, i deliberately saturated the colour. Any comments on that? showed some of my frns n they said it does look a little unreal.

yeah it looked abit unreal to me too that's why was wondering. now its clarified =) maybe can saturate alittle less bah..:what:

The colors look a bit unreal, even the red :dunno:

Profusion of greenery and too much detail, dunno where to see he he

And the fungal infection comment was "out of the box" thinking ;)

OPPS!!!! my bad - dunno y, my eyes keep seeing xiao ming... heng ar, i usu not home during the day :bsmilie:

or in the late evenings as well... =D 8-9...

MUAHAHAHA>

1st picture seems to have alot of blue cast. Perhaps you were trying to bring out the strengthen the color of green leaves.
While in the 2nd, evident of red cast. Maybe you were trying to bring out the pillar's rusty texture.

So to solve the issue, hue the whole picture wont make it better as it compromise on each aspect of the subject. Probably a better way would be selective hue. Outline the pillar(its the easier compared to the leaves) and bring the color out through hue or contrast.
Try it, it gives u greater control.

On a personal side, I feel that the composition is abit messy ba. If you would like to reflect contrast in texture, the impact might stand out better if you can simply use 1-2 leaves standing ahead of pillar. Zoom it and viewer might take a closer look into the beauty of the leaves and pillar. Too many leaves made my eyes scanning around the picture looking for main subject.

Hope to see more works from you.

thanks pple for the helpful comments!

ryuggen - u were right. I was trying to do something similar to selective colouring in the first pic but didn't knw the technique for it. The green in the picture was something I wanted to bring out. With the help of Google, nw I knw :bsmilie:
The second pic was to contrast the green with red, the soft texture of the leaves with the rust on the pillar. LIke sprintist said, the over-saturation prb kinda spoilt the whole thing n made it unreal.
Thanks for the advice on the composition. Will try it out the next time I get to do this shot again.

Will post the new pic as soon as I get the chance to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.