From KX to KR-worth the upgrade?

hafnium

Mar 2, 2010
any new KR user can justified the price differences between the 2 cameras?
interms of pictures quality,sensor,ease of handling etc?

In my opinion, not worth the upgrade. K-x is like the k-r. Only very slight improvements that will not justify the upgrade price. Bot are still 12mp camera just that the iso is better for k-r.

Sensors are both the same, 4288x2848.

Ease of handling? They look the same, almost feel the same, come on hahaha. Just that k-r is abt 18g heavier. Lol. That is only if u wanna compare specs.

Okay u don't have a pentax cam yet, get the k-5.
If u have a k-x, don't upgrade to k-r, just straight to k-5. Die die want upgrade to k-r.
Heehee, that's only for ur ego to feel better.

Peace out!

Depends on how much you want/need :

1. AF indicators
2. No more battery indication issues
3. Need improved HDR that has more options, is hand holdable and fires off on the self timer
4. Better Jpeg NR control
5. Slightly better high ISO performance
6. Slightly better build (rubber grip area)
7. Better AF
8. Supposed better dynamic range
9. AF correction (1 lens only)

Personally, I would switch if I had a Kx. Sell it, and only top up ~$300 for a much better camera that fixes all the small issues of the Kx.

it is up to you, but you will be paying at least $200 more (i think) for the body difference. possibly more.

you have to weigh the differences between k-r and k-x and see if it is justifiable.

slightly better iso performance, af points, no long exposure noise reduction issue, among many others... is it worth the price difference? it's up to you.

Depends on how much you want/need :

1. AF indicators
2. No more battery indication issues
3. Need improved HDR that has more options, is hand holdable and fires off on the self timer
4. Better Jpeg NR control
5. Slightly better high ISO performance
6. Slightly better build (rubber grip area)
7. Better AF
8. Supposed better dynamic range
9. AF correction (1 lens only)

Personally, I would switch if I had a Kx. Sell it, and only top up ~$300 for a much better camera that fixes all the small issues of the Kx.

10. Better Back LCD resolution
11. Infrared
12. Front and back focus correction
13. Higher fps 6 (k-r), 4.7 (k-x)

;)

You can check the comparisons between k-x, k-r, and k-5 here:
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=kx&c2=kr&c3=k5

what do u mean infrared?
and k-x also can do focus correction in debug mode right

I'm a KX (and K5) owner. Personally, I wouldn't upgrade unless the low light focussing of the KR is significantly better. So far, I haven't seen any real comparisons. I played with a KR for about 10 minutes in an office and it seemed to have the same problems focussing in low light, but I can't be definitive. I was using a D FA 100 WR, which is a macro lens and sometimes a challenge to focus. The same lens on my K5 seems to focus quickly in low light.

So, my recommendation is to save up until you can afford a K5 :)

I'm a KX (and K5) owner. Personally, I wouldn't upgrade unless the low light focussing of the KR is significantly better. So far, I haven't seen any real comparisons. I played with a KR for about 10 minutes in an office and it seemed to have the same problems focussing in low light, but I can't be definitive. I was using a D FA 100 WR, which is a macro lens and sometimes a challenge to focus. The same lens on my K5 seems to focus quickly in low light.

So, my recommendation is to save up until you can afford a K5 :)

i haven't used the k-x, but i can be affirmitive that the focus is definitely faster than a k20d, and is more than sufficient for my purposes (for night shots of cats, moving ones at that)

If you are ok with the Kx's tiny issues, then dont upgrade.

I am ok with the Kx's issues, but I still upgraded to Kr. lol
Worthiness is subjective, to me its worth it.
BUT the battery adapter is not out yet, thats the only real complaint I have and the only reason why Im keeping my Kx.
So on long photoshoots, I still use my Kx.

I have tried both k-r and k-x

what i would like to say is k-r have far more better faster focus during indoor and low light condition.

But i feel k-r batter cover and the plastic around flash is more fragile, it is so thin, well maybe its just my feeling. :)

If I were to decide, i would stay for the k-x and go for k-5 later on.

it's much better camera and much worth the upgrade. ;)

but that's maybe only me... that's why I'm still contemplating...

same goes to me, skip Kr straight to K5, hopefully wont change body again in 2-3 yrs time.. forum here is poisonous!!!!

same goes to me, skip Kr straight to K5, hopefully wont change body again in 2-3 yrs time.. forum here is poisonous!!!!

U got that right! :bsmilie:

very poisonous. just look how many K-x and K7 are up for sale on the BnS section! i wish more lens are for sale though

Consider one big step up every one year, not very possible;)

with current kx price in bns, i'll losing alot if i let go, if keep as second body dont think i will utilize it... haiz...