from colour to black and white conversions

Status
Not open for further replies.

eadwine

Jan 17, 2002
east side
would like to know how u guys go about converting your coloured digital photos to black and white in photoshop?? because I used an action i downloaded and the outcome wasn't wat i really wanted...so im interested to know how you guys go about doing it....

fire away!!!! :bigeyes:

In Photoshop, use desaturate, and play with the levels/curves to get the results you want.

That's what I usually do. Pros, you may like to correct my method.

Hee not a pro...but another way to do it is to add a channel mixer adjustment layer...and select monochrome...

That way you can tweak the tones and exposure of the different RGB colours to get what you want. It works abit like adding filters to b&W film i think. :)

Using Desaturate is a much better method than turning to Greyscale. However, I normally use Channel Mixer, check the box for Monochrome and play with the mix of Red/Green/Blue channels until I get the result I want. Not as quick as Virgo's suggestion but it might give a better result if you have time to play.

Good stuff :thumbsup:

I'll try your method the next time round. Thanx for sharing.

Phildate said:
Using Desaturate is a much better method than turning to Greyscale. However, I normally use Channel Mixer, check the box for Monochrome and play with the mix of Red/Green/Blue channels until I get the result I want. Not as quick as Virgo's suggestion but it might give a better result if you have time to play.

very good stuff!!! you guys are the best!!

i tried a b&w action here, not bad. most of the time i add another curve layer just above my image and also changed the channel mixer to get the results i wan

my workflow if i have the time is to delete all the layers and leave only the red alpha channel...

more cool tt way..

Witness said:
my workflow if i have the time is to delete all the layers and leave only the red alpha channel...

more cool tt way..

interesting, i was wondering if that could be done when i was playing around with the colour channels...

so just delete the layers??

no.....if u want a highly contrasty bnw...there is a way to do it thru the channels...gives the same effects as using coloured filters..

Status
Not open for further replies.